Mar 11 2006, 11:00 AM
I am playing in my first tournament tomorrow morning and am a little anxious/nervous, I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to keep myself calm or any kind of general advice for tomorrow even.

Thanks

space76
Mar 11 2006, 11:26 AM
Tourneys are all about the mental game, IMHO. Tourney rounds take about twice as long as casual rounds. Basically just have fun and DONT take anything too seriously. If/when you throw a bad shot leave there, meaning dont dwell on it and dont let it cahange the way you normally play. Dont be scared and dont think you need to beat one guy or another, just play your game like normal and you will be fine. All of this coming from someone who has NEVER played well at a tourney. Then again I dont follow my own advice, Im smarter than me :D. The first tourney is really just a learning experience, so dont expect to much and you wont be let down. Im sure a pro will come along and give you much better advice than this. Keep it simple.

JIO
Mar 11 2006, 04:45 PM
Get nice and loose with a pre-tournament warm up. Take your time when practicing your putts in the morning, don't just go slam 50 putts in two minutes, that doesn't help. Visualize what you are going to do when you putt and then do it.

Sometimes we start on the hardest hole on the course, or the hardest stretch of a course. If you start with two double bogeys DO NOT give up. Everyone else will hit that bad stretch too, so just keep going.

Pull for everyone else. If you hope your adversaries screw up then you'll be in the wrong mindset; once you're in the wrong mindset your game is done for.
That's it from me, I could add more but I'll let other more experienced playas chime in.

jconnell
Mar 11 2006, 05:27 PM
I have just one thing to add...stick to what you know works for you. If there's a shot you've never tried or a line you've never thrown, don't make your first attempt during a tournament round.

Especially in the first round of a tournament, you'll probably be grouped with a player or two that might have a bit more distance on their drive or they throw a really good sidearm or maybe they go for 35-40 footers way more than you would. The temptation might be to try to match your playing partners shot for shot. If they're throwing a 350 foot hyzer line over the big tree to the pin and you don't have that kind of power, it's silly for you to try it. Play to your strengths and always go for the high percentage shot.

Good luck and remember to have fun.

--Josh

veganray
Mar 11 2006, 08:04 PM
Concentrate really, really hard on being the one to win the "I had the most fun" award, and the scores will take care of themselves. :D

Chainiac
Mar 11 2006, 09:53 PM
Don't keep score. Unless of course you're the one with the score card, then you have to. Play each hole and then move on. Stay in the present. Don't think about what happened on the last hole. Like I should have hit that putt or I usually birdie or par that hole. And don't worry about the future. Gee, I'm going to get a par on this hole so I need to birdie the last two holes. I've played early rounds in tournaments and didn't know what my score was when I walked off the last hole. I report my score after each hole to the person with the score card and then I put it behind me. Of course in the final round you'll want to check the scores after 14 holes or so. That way you know your score compared to the others in your group. You can then determine if you need to make (run) a few putts or if you need to play it conservative and maintain a lead.

My first tournament was about this time last year. I had 2 goals. First, get some tournament experience. Second, finish second last or better. That was it! (I took 5th out of 81).

Good luck and enjoy.

Chris Hysell
Mar 11 2006, 10:37 PM
If I can't walk next weekend should I still play in the VTI?

AWSmith
Mar 11 2006, 10:49 PM
Don't keep score. Unless of course you're the one with the score card, then you have to. Play each hole and then move on. Stay in the present. Don't think about what happened on the last hole. Like I should have hit that putt or I usually birdie or par that hole. And don't worry about the future. Gee, I'm going to get a par on this hole so I need to birdie the last two holes. I've played early rounds in tournaments and didn't know what my score was when I walked off the last hole. I report my score after each hole to the person with the score card and then I put it behind me. Of course in the final round you'll want to check the scores after 14 holes or so. That way you know your score compared to the others in your group. You can then determine if you need to make (run) a few putts or if you need to play it conservative and maintain a lead.

Good luck and enjoy.

This is solid advice. the first time i ever finally listened to this kind of advice (several tournys later) i had a 13 stroke improvement from my first round and it was the 2nd best round score of the day. i think the best way to play well is to just have FUN! remember its just a game and until theres a few thousands dollars on the line who cares have your fun.

Mar 12 2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm getting ready right now, we'll see how it goes.

gotcha
Mar 12 2006, 09:46 AM

Know any caddies with piggy-back experience?

tbender
Mar 12 2006, 09:44 PM
Read first line of my signature below...and stick to it... :)

J_TEE
Mar 13 2006, 12:34 PM
Yea, what he^^^^said!!! Just play like you do in casual rounds. You started playing this game because it's fun and you meet alot of really cool people. Just don't change that in tourney play. I don't care what happens to me during a tourney, I'm still gonna have a blast. Some you win, some you lose.

Chainiac
Mar 14 2006, 10:07 AM
Anybody else curious to know what happened? Did he survive? Was it fun? Maybe he won and he just hasn't stopped partying yet.

AviarX
Mar 14 2006, 11:33 AM
Yea, what he^^^^said!!! Just play like you do in casual rounds. You started playing this game because it's fun and you meet alot of really cool people. Just don't change that in tourney play. I don't care what happens to me during a tourney, I'm still gonna have a blast. Some you win, some you lose.

^ that is great advice ^

speaking from experience, don't go into a tournament with the mindset you are going to trounce the field, raise your rating, and wow yourself ;) if you do you'll be really down with every missed birdie or eagle, let alone reasonable mis-cues. you'll play too tight and therefore probably not nearly as well as you do during casual or practice rounds.
play the course and let the chips fall where they may. [note to self: practice what you preach]

anita
Mar 14 2006, 11:48 AM
The advice has been great! I'll say "Amen" to the don't try anything new at your first event. I think that was probably the biggest mistake of my early tournament career. That miracle shot ain't gonna happen.... trust me.

Relax, leave that bad shots behind. Each tee is a new chance. One (or two) bad holes won't kill you. Drink lots of water when it gets hot. That should be enough sports truisms.

GOOD LUCK!

veganray
Mar 14 2006, 11:54 AM
Maybe he won and he just hasn't stopped partying yet.

Or maybe DFL'ed & just hasn't stopped partying yet!

thetruthxl
Mar 16 2006, 10:41 AM
I've recently learned that if you plan on competeing at the top levels (AM or Pro) you need to play solid golf...I dont' want to say perfect golf, because I don't believe there is such a thing.
Take each hole for what it is, believe in your ability, and don't try to show off for the others in your group. This is the path to the Dark Side (unwanted strokes = dark side)
Be humble and love the sport like the first time you said to yourself, "Wow, this is really an incredible sport"
Most important, have fun and breathe....never stop breathing! ;)

Chainiac
Mar 16 2006, 11:06 AM
That's good advice but the newbie that was seeking the advice is MIA. We fear he didn't survive his first tournament. :(

:D

JIO
Mar 16 2006, 03:02 PM
I dont' want to say perfect golf, because I don't believe there is such a thing.

Wouldn't a score of 18 in an 18 hole course constitute a perfect round? A perfect round just may not be possible for the grand majority of courses.

bruce_brakel
Mar 16 2006, 03:48 PM
Maybe it went so badly he went back to running a very large brokerage (http://www.schwab.com) company!

jonnydobos
Mar 16 2006, 08:18 PM
I found the answer (http://www.flyingsaucerdg.com/events2006/tourneys/ctc/ctcresults.html)

We still need a first-hand report though

Charles, show yourself!

Chainiac
Mar 16 2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, come on Charles! Pick yourself up off the mat and get ready to fight again. :mad:

What's your alternative?

Tell us what you learned from your first tournament. Lots of us have been there at one time or another. In one sport or another.

bruce_brakel
Mar 16 2006, 10:30 PM
click - :o- back

O.k., so you learned that the lowest men's division at a tournament is still pretty darn good.

That tournament was unsanctioned so you won't get a rating off that. I could calculate an approximate rating, but I could also hit you in the head with a brick. I'm not sure which would be more painful. :D

I was DFL once or twice last summer. Did you play your A game or were there tournament jitters?

stevev
Mar 18 2006, 11:25 PM
I once heard a fellow player tell me at Worlds "Play the course and not the man." He was basically right. Each throw is unique, not dependent on the previous throw, or the next throw to come, or the shot the other dude just made. Play loose and relaxed. I don't keep track of my score during tourneys during the round itself. Just try to make a relaxed throw on every shot. Breathing easy is important, as someone mentioned earlier, prior to each release. Breath easy and be loose. My worst rounds have been when I was tense and trying to kill my drive off of the tee. This is just my two cents. 914 going for 9--? :D

dwridener
Mar 19 2006, 08:12 PM
I've been playing SOME tournaments for the last 2 years, and i always shoot worse in tournament rounds than in casual rounds. Next time, I'm finally gonna take some of the advice...

Thanks Guys

Dustin

Mar 24 2006, 12:54 PM
Think of it like this Charles, you DFL'd, but you improved by 9 strokes over your first round. it's not you versus the other players, it's you versus yourself and the course. When I play in a tournament, I play "against" myself, If you continually worry about the other players you are not concentrating on your game and therefore cannot be shooting your best golf. You did great for your first tournament.

My first tournament was last year and I lost to a 13 year old and a 14 year old by 30 strokes, I am a 30 year old man, my last tournament I took 4th, the one before that I tied for second. You will lose the jitters trust me.

Congrats on your first tournament.

pdga3791
Mar 27 2006, 09:33 PM

Well Chris,first you have to chance your licence plate :Dand are you not a little to old to play this game?When was the last time you cashed?Maybe you should come to Europe...you might have a chance????

quickdisc
May 08 2006, 06:25 PM
Are the ladies there in Holland really cute ? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

z Vaughn z
May 08 2006, 11:54 PM
Golf is only played one stroke at a time.

AviarX
May 10 2006, 03:04 PM
Golf is only played one stroke at a time.

that's the tournament advice i need to learn not to forget. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Luke Butch
May 11 2006, 01:10 AM
My first tournament was last year and I lost to a 13 year old and a 14 year old by 30 strokes, I am a 30 year old man,

Now thats embarassing. :D

sandalbagger
May 11 2006, 07:23 PM
Hey LUKE, you lost to Marcus from the white tees at Moraine and he's only 13!!!! lol

not to mention his 58 from whites at Indiana bested your 61. feel embarrased yet.

veganray
May 11 2006, 08:04 PM
I finished a STRONG second in junior distance at VA States this year, and I'm 36. :(

quickdisc
May 12 2006, 05:15 PM
Tournament Advice.

Don't give up on yourself !!!!!

Give yourself a chance !!!!

It's only as hard or as difficult as you want to make it !!!

Practice when you can , before any major tournament !!!!!!

Be happy that your even able to play !!!!!!

Furthur
May 12 2006, 10:37 PM
I think the thing I've had to learn how to do is how not to let the occasional long wait throw off my rythem. Tourney in 2 weeks, and I've got new Pearl Jam, Tool, and Chili's to keep me occupied during the waits!

quickdisc
May 13 2006, 05:19 PM
Don't party too much , before the tournament.

Boneman
May 15 2006, 05:18 PM
I would like to thank everyone for the great advice posted in this thread. I had my best tournament finish to date yesterday. Tied for 4th (MA1) in the Colorado Open, shooting a 226 after three rounds of 24 holes (par 225). Having only played a couple of years � and this being my second sanctioned tournament in MA1 � I am pretty happy with my finish (could have been better ... but you know how that goes).
This forum has been very valuable to my improvement as a player, and I appreciate all the information contributors make.

My contribution to the thread would be this.
You can never be too good of a putter ... putting is absolutely one of the most important skills in this game. Practice is essential, but learning how to putt under pressure can only be gained through experience, so don't get down on yourself for any lack of experience you have during a tournament! Play more tourneys and you WILL get better!

Never get too down on yourself for ANY bad shot, and as stated previously ... NEVER give up. Focus only on the given shot and give it 100% effort/thought no matter what your position is. Never exclude the possibility that you can MAKE the shot! (NOTE: This does not mean you should make a run for the basket every shot ... this just means focus on making the shot you need to make to play smart, with focus and confidence.)

For some of us "older" players ... maintain your energy level. Drink, eat and pace yourself. Carry a golf stool so you can rest between shots and be comfortable at every tee.

Keep a player LOG! Take note of your experiences, good and bad, and refer to your notes before playing. I found this practice helped me a whole lot in this last tournament, and kept me from making silly mistakes I have made before.

Here are a couple of new notes to myself.
Continue to work on accuracy. Tournaments can have special/temp holes, or OB that will require a higher degree of accuracy. If you need to hit a clown face (free standing tunnel shot), or gap ... you need to be able to throw a straight shot will a high percentage of success. SEE PREVIOUS NOTE: Learn and play your high percentage shot ... if you don't know you can make it ... lay up! ONE STROKE can mean the difference between placing higher, or lower.

Continue to work on putting! You can be a good putter and place well ... but to win you must be a great putter.

My practice bag:
2-3 Putters
3-6 Midranges (Rocs, overstable to understable and an extras for second/practice efforts)
2-3 Drivers
When I'm "practicing" on the course, I usually throw several midrange or putters on every hole, as well as a driver (if necessary). I switch to the tourney bag for practice if I'm playing with other players.
Practice in a park or field with several of the SAME disc, this is just as important as playing on a course.

My tourney bag:
1 JK Aviar X
1 Star Aviar P&A
1 Champion Gator
3 Rocs, overstable to understable
1 Star Stingray
1 DX Leopard
2 Teebirds (T, TL)
2 Eagles (E, EL)
1 Sidewinder
1-2 SL (light or heavy)
On the side:
1 SB Orc
1 Star Wraith
1 Star Firebird

In this tournament I used every disc except the Stingray, Leopard, Eagle E, and SB Orc (head/side wind drivers) ... conditions were 95% calm, and but for one brief windy hole where I used a Teebird T and Firebird for short headwind hysers.

quickdisc
May 15 2006, 08:02 PM

AviarX
May 15 2006, 09:46 PM
congrats on your progress -- good job!.

how would you compare the JK and Star Aviars? i use JK Aviars exclusively but felt a Star Aviar and really liked it. Are they more stable than normal Aviars? are they like JK Aviars? :eek:

Boneman
May 16 2006, 01:04 PM
No, the JK Aviar and Star Aviar are very different discs.

JK and KC Aviars are overstable putters [the same mold, different plastic] with a big bead. I have both, but prefer the 5x JK because it's grippy, but still pretty firm. I like it better than the slick/hard KC Pro plastic. I feel I can make any shot with a JK, that I might use a KC Pro on and have very good accuracy. I might carry a 10x KC if I play a course where I need firmer plastic.

The Star Aviar is a Putt & Approach mold -- no bead. So it's stable. Straight with a little fade when new, maybe more than a DX P&A. They are good for easy hyser (unlike the JK which is better for a tighter hyser), straight, and anhyser upshots. I'm just guessing, but I think the 175g Star Aviar I have is heavier than 175g ... it's beefy ... so it works really well when I need a straight shot that shouldn't turn, and holds a line well in moderate wind conditions. The Star plastic (mine is orange) is grippy, and sticks to chains well.

I normally putt and practice with a bunch of 4-5x JK Aviars, so they are my go-to putter for most putts. However, if I need to straddle putt straight, hit a gap, anhser putt around an obsticle, putt into moderate wind and need a STRAIGHT flat putt ... the Star Aviar is the shiznit.

I putt with a CH Gator if it's really windy. ;)

quickdisc
Aug 31 2006, 02:58 PM
Tournament Advice.

Don't give up on yourself !!!!!
There are still more shots to make !!!!!!

Give yourself a chance !!!!
Sure its difficult !!!!
It's only as hard or as difficult as you want to make it though !!!

Practice when you can , before any major tournament !!!!!!
Being warm does help !!!!!

Wear comfortable shoes with good grip !!!!!

Eat good food and limit the junk food !!!!
Drink Water so you don't get dehydrated !!!!

Try to get some good sleep in you can !!!!!!!
Your body will hold up better through out the day !!!!

Be happy that your even able to play !!!!!!
This will take some of the pressure off !!!!

circle_2
Aug 31 2006, 08:44 PM
AND DRINK A LOT OF COFFEE & RED BULL !!!!!!

:cool:

Ruder
Sep 04 2006, 06:33 PM
Play the shots that have the most room for error and the best chances for success - play them with confidence.

quickdisc
Sep 05 2006, 01:41 PM
AND DRINK A LOT OF COFFEE & RED BULL !!!!!!

:cool:

:eek: HELP !!!!! I can't stop Shakin' :cool:

eddie_ogburn
Sep 05 2006, 02:21 PM
These are two quotes that have given me the most success and I try to think about them during competition:

"A great player is not defined by his good shots, but by what he does after a bad one."

"It's just you vs. the course."

my $.02

deathbypar
Sep 05 2006, 06:31 PM
Drink enough beer before the round so your buzz will last the entire time.

circle_2
Sep 05 2006, 10:24 PM
Note to self: Replace morning coffee and tourney water with tequila*... :o

*-unless sanctioned, of course!

eupher61
Sep 05 2006, 10:55 PM
MOST FUN wins....that means I've won everything I"ve ever entered.

circle_2
Sep 05 2006, 11:00 PM
NO...I had more fun...really! :D

quickdisc
Sep 25 2006, 07:18 PM
MOST FUN wins....that means I've won everything I"ve ever entered.