clifftowne
Mar 11 2006, 12:48 AM
Hey folks,

Looking for advice on decomposed granite tees installation.

We did the very long dance and finally got a pilot disc golf course approved (LA's first!). Now we have to install it. The citizen's committee approved boxed tees of decomposed granite - and that is what we must install. Sure - concrete or rubber is better - but save your breath - boxed DG it is (not limestone or bonded polycrete or some other crushed stone).

So - any experienced advice for us on these tees? At this point - We are planning on boxed 5x10 pads - load in a cubic yard of DG and then use a gas powered tamping machine to pack it (landscape fabric below a good idea?). The boxes to be constructed of treated 4x6 lumber with L brackets secured with deck screws. Thinking of pre-drilling lumber and then spiking 18" lengths of 3/4" rebar down to help secure box to ground.

Any experienced advice is welcome - details appreciated.

By the way - if you want to help with the install and you are in the So Cal area - contact me - we could use the help!

Thanks, Cliff Towne
Discsports In Southern California

flyboy
Mar 11 2006, 12:51 PM
Who purposed granite tees????In this day in age, with the amount of players we will have, it will be a mess, in no time.Even if you tamp it.Cliff call me, and I can help, with the boxes.Good luck on the new course....

J_TEE
Mar 11 2006, 09:51 PM
Use concrete(heavy gravel) Very good grip for a long time. Relatively cheap too..

mule1
Mar 12 2006, 09:15 AM
I can't be sure, but it sounds from your post like you are planning on setting your tee pad framing material on top of the ground and then securing it. If you do that, It will create a big dropoff at the end of the teepad. I would suggest that if you do it that way, that you lengthen your tee pad so that you have at least three feet (if not four feet) of follow through from where you designate the leading edge of the tee. It would be best to countersink the tee pads, but that does take a lot of extra work. Good luck with your quest.

rhett
Mar 13 2006, 06:01 PM
Looking for advice on decomposed granite tees installation.

We did the very long dance and finally got a pilot disc golf course approved (LA's first!). Now we have to install it. The citizen's committee approved boxed tees of decomposed granite - and that is what we must install. Sure - concrete or rubber is better - but save your breath - boxed DG it is (not limestone or bonded polycrete or some other crushed stone).

For those of you who didn't read the request and are suggesting concrete or rubber.

wander
Mar 14 2006, 09:29 AM
Point, Rhett.

I had a juicy one ready but deleted instead.

flyboy
Mar 14 2006, 11:07 AM
birds of a feather :D

LouMoreno
Mar 14 2006, 02:26 PM
Cliff,
Decomposed granite is all that�s currently allowed by Austin also.
Dig out the tee box area and fill it with an inch of granite. Tamp it. Spray it with water. You want the water to permeate to the bottom of the granite but you don�t want to soak it to the point that you have standing water. Repeat for every inch of granite that you have to add.

You�ll get a more solid surface if you use a power tamper. If it can go unused for a day to allow time to dry, it�ll be more compact also.

Good luck. It they have environmental concerns, start telling the city that the new course in Kyle, TX used ECOCRETO (http://www.ecocreto.com/default2.htm) for tee boxes. Austin PARD put in a hike and bike trail with it at Pease Park also so hopefully we�ll get the go ahead to use it on Austin's disc golf courses soon.

james_mccaine
Mar 14 2006, 03:09 PM
As Lou says, most of our new boxes are crushed/decomposed granite. All in all, I'm very unimpressed. Despite how well you install them, I suspect they need continual maintenance (wetting and tamping) to keep them from being extremely uneven. I also suspect that over time, a cleaner granite (less fines) will hold up better since the fines tend to migrate to the bottom and turn crusty while the looser granite remains near the top.

Crushed granite is better than limestone, but still an inferior option, IMO. The mindset of some city officials really baffles me. :confused:

J_TEE
Mar 14 2006, 04:09 PM
Me too, next they will tell us to stay off the grass!!!

Mar 14 2006, 06:37 PM
As Lou says, most of our new boxes are crushed/decomposed granite. All in all, I'm very unimpressed. Despite how well you install them, I suspect they need continual maintenance (wetting and tamping) to keep them from being extremely uneven. I also suspect that over time, a cleaner granite (less fines) will hold up better since the fines tend to migrate to the bottom and turn crusty while the looser granite remains near the top.

Crushed granite is better than limestone, but still an inferior option, IMO. The mindset of some city officials really baffles me. :confused:

Add two bags of concrete to crushed limestone and they make GREAT tee pads, the loose gravel isn't there.

galvidor
Mar 14 2006, 09:36 PM
Sack concrete like Quikrete contains gravel. Use some portland cement. Its what makes the concrete set up without the rocks. I'd try to put it in in layers and tamp it but dust some of the portland between the layers before wetting it and tamping it, but at that point it is just a concrete mix. Do these parkies not realize it takes minutes to jackhammer a pad sized slab? Remove the broken chunks, toss in some soil, lay sod and it was never there

clifftowne
Mar 20 2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks for your help folks. The boxes will be countersunk to be nearly flush with ground level. We will fill, wet and use power tamper as advised.

As I said - OF COURSE concrete would be better. But
- the Citizen's Group (not City officials) said DG - guess what? ....DG regardless of our collective wisdom.
- Oh did I mention? Not concrete or rubber at this point.
- it is a Pilot project. After a year the very powerful Citizen's Group can shut us down - did I mention how happy we are to be putting in the DG tees that they require?
- after the pilot period - when the tees need redoing, we can see about selling them on Ecocreto or Rubber or CONCRETE.

Reese - your expertise could be valuable when we box the tees and/or sink the baskets - both possibly in mid to late April.

Thanks, Cliff

LouMoreno
Apr 25 2006, 02:13 PM
Cliff, how did it go?