AWSmith
Mar 07 2006, 11:00 PM
i think cell phones and the like should be banned during tournament play. luckily i have nvr had to deal with this during a tourny but several times out on the course. it is incredibly distracting. some tourny TD's have stated it at the begining of play but some don't.

neonnoodle
Mar 08 2006, 12:42 AM
I 100% agree Adam. They do fall under courtesy violations, but folks are already terrified of calling rules, calling this one would likely rank up there with foot faults as far as timidness.

Alacrity
Mar 08 2006, 10:10 AM
I don't know. If the cell phone is required for emergancies, then I can see the use of it. For instance, my youngest son is diabetic and my oldest son is an extreme skater and I like to keep my phone on in case of emergancies. However, in the past five years I have only had one emergancy that required I leave during a round and it was very good that I had my phone in that emergancy. Generally, I put it on vibrate and keep it in my pocket. Most cell phone calls are one buddy asking another what was going on latter.

i think cell phones and the like should be banned during tournament play. luckily i have nvr had to deal with this during a tourny but several times out on the course. it is incredibly distracting. some tourny TD's have stated it at the begining of play but some don't.

Parkntwoputt
Mar 08 2006, 10:30 AM
I agree with Alacrity,

While Cell phone use is annoying and distracting during tournament play. I understand that a lot of people carry cell phones for emergency reasons, heck or even business. There are a good number of top managers and business owners who play disc golf.

I have yet to been playing a tournament where someones cell phone rings and they answer it (one guy forgot to turn his phone to vibrate and apologized sincerely for it).

Personally when ever I am playing any round of disc golf, practice or tournament, I leave my phone in the car. In my life, there is no emergency that cannot wait for the extra hour it takes me to get to my phone. Of course, my wife is not pregnant, so that may change in the future.

As long as the cell phone user is not talking during a tournament while a player is making their shot I really don't care if they have it with them.

If someone is talking on a cell phone while another player is trying to make their shot, I would give them a warning, basically saying that it would be respectful if they refrained from talking on thier phone during the round.

But if you cannot stay away from your cell phone for longer then 2-3 hours, then you really do not need to play tournaments. (This means talking, not carrying).

amdiscgolfer
Mar 08 2006, 10:31 AM
I don't know. If the cell phone is required for emergancies, then I can see the use of it. For instance, my youngest son is diabetic and my oldest son is an extreme skater and I like to keep my phone on in case of emergancies. However, in the past five years I have only had one emergancy that required I leave during a round and it was very good that I had my phone in that emergancy. Generally, I put it on vibrate and keep it in my pocket. Most cell phone calls are one buddy asking another what was going on latter.

I agree for emergencies it is warranted, however - be kind and put it on vibrate. When you get a call let it go to VM check it and if it is an emergency take care of what you need to.

However if it is your pal trying to find out whats goin on later - you can take the call at the break.

twoputtok
Mar 08 2006, 10:37 AM
Due to owning a business and having children in sports, I always carry my phone and leave the ringer on. How ever, when I play a sacntioned tournament, I always tell the family that I will not have my phone during the round but I will check it as soon as I finish, or I leave them the TD's number in case of an emergency.

discglfr
Mar 08 2006, 10:41 AM
I don't post often but since my cell phone is about as important as oxygen to me, I figured I'd throw in a few other remarks.

2 years ago at Iowa worlds I had my cell phone with me and we were backed up at many holes. During that time I would TEXT back and forth with friends or family regarding the rounds, weather, etc. It really helped me NOT focus on the bad (or good) play and it made the backups go by MUCH faster. Of course the ringer / message sounds were turned off.

Last year at the USDGC we had a handful of backups especially at holes 5 (1053ft) and the 13 (the 888 hole). Sometimes those waits could be 10 to 40 minutes. There I would walk far away from all players and then make some calls, check my messages, or do some texting, again it was primarily to pass time. Of course the ringer / message sounds were turned off.

This past weekend at the Memorial I had my phone and again used it during LONG backups. Did anyone else mention that it took nearly 1.5 hours to play the first 4 holes at that event? Only about 20 minutes of that was actually throwing a disc - the rest was waiting on tees. There again I would use it to make some calls and do some texting. In fact, a female friend thought she left her purse at the Flicka's Player Party the night before and since I was bored and waiting, I grabbed the player's guide, looked up the number, was put on hold, then was answered about the purse (which they didn't have). It really made the time go by faster. Of course the ringer / message sounds were turned off.

So those are a few situations where using common sense and good manners really shouldn't impact having a phone. I know this thread probably started in reference to people getting or making calls in the middle of a hole but I did want to give my perspective on this and how I handle it.

If a phone rings or makes noises while people are throwing or lining up shots - they should be assessed a courtesy warning and/or penalty strokes.

Ter

Chainiac
Mar 08 2006, 10:52 AM
I agree for emergencies it is warranted, however - be kind and put it on vibrate. When you get a call let it go to VM check it and if it is an emergency take care of what you need to.

However if it is your pal trying to find out whats goin on later - you can take the call at the break.

I agree. Sometimes being partially accessible is the only way some of us can play. By partially accessible I mean being able to return voice mails at an appropriate time. I turn my phone off at the start of tournament rounds but during leagues and casual rounds I sometimes need to be able to take care of other responsibilities. If my wife is at home with the kids then I turn it off. For a hour or two I can relax and concentrate on the greatest game in the world. :cool:

MTL21676
Mar 08 2006, 10:58 AM
WHo really cares if you have a cell phone in your bag that is off or on vibrate. I've been to two tournaments where players had seizures....so I'm glad someone had thier phones with them.

But just keep it on vibrate or off. That simple

oklaoutlaw
Mar 08 2006, 11:00 AM
I think having you cell phone during a tournament is fine as long as it is on vibrate so not to distract the other players around you if it rings. On many courses, some holes are a long way from where the TD is and some emergency could arise. Due the the extreme terrain on some courses someone could possibly need emergency medical assistance and a cell phone would be needed and appreciated (probably by the guy that thought we didn't need them on the course :D)

august
Mar 08 2006, 11:09 AM
Personally, my cell phone doesn't get turned on unless I need to make a call. I just don't need to be that accessible, especially on the golf course. But I understand that I am in the minority and that many people feel a need to have those confounded contraptions with them at all times.

Using a cell phone during the round is okay, as long as the audible sound is turned off and your conversation doesn't bother anyone. But if someone asks you to put it away because it is bothering them, then you should do so. Frankly, if I'm waiting for a group ahead of me to clear, I really don't want to listen to your telephone conversation while I'm enjoying nature on the golf course.

The problem I see is that, like calling rules violations, asking a golfer to stop using their cell phone will garner nasty responses.

Moderator005
Mar 08 2006, 11:21 AM
This past weekend at the Memorial I had my phone and again used it during LONG backups. Did anyone else mention that it took nearly 1.5 hours to play the first 4 holes at that event? Only about 20 minutes of that was actually throwing a disc - the rest was waiting on tees.

Wow, I had considered attending this event over the last several years, but I generally despise tournament pace and backups. Thanks for the info, Ter - this makes my decision a lot easier.

quickdisc
Mar 08 2006, 06:16 PM
Personally, my cell phone doesn't get turned on unless I need to make a call. I just don't need to be that accessible, especially on the golf course. But I understand that I am in the minority and that many people feel a need to have those confounded contraptions with them at all times.

Using a cell phone during the round is okay, as long as the audible sound is turned off and your conversation doesn't bother anyone. But if someone asks you to put it away because it is bothering them, then you should do so. Frankly, if I'm waiting for a group ahead of me to clear, I really don't want to listen to your telephone conversation while I'm enjoying nature on the golf course.

The problem I see is that, like calling rules violations, asking a golfer to stop using their cell phone will garner responses.

That's why I'm carring a Aluminum bat !!!!! :mad: :D

Game over !!!! :D

FOUR !!!!!!!! " Can you hear me now " !!!!!!!! :D

AWSmith
Mar 09 2006, 01:18 AM
i didnt mean not be allowed to have them on you at all. just not have them on ring. i refuse to play with my friends if they dont turn the ringer off, needless to say sometimes i play solo rounds. i don't think technology belongs in nature (except music devices) it messes with the balance and tranquility of nature.

unfourtantly not all people are courtreous. i generally do not like to argue with people during play (unless their *****) so it would be nice to have it in the rules so there would be no discussion or arguement about it.

accidentalROLLER
Mar 09 2006, 11:52 AM
There are a million situations where you shouldn't use your cell phone: driving, playing disc golf, eating at a restaurant, in a class, at the movies, etc......
I'm sick of hearing cell phone ringers and people talking on their cell phones. The last place I want to hear someone's cell phone is at the disc golf course. Most tournaments I go to, the TD tells everyone at the players meeting to turn their cell phones off, or on vibrate. That should be the automatic warning. After that, if a phone rings, it should be a stroke. If you HAVE to talk on your phone at a tourney, then do the right thing and DNF. If something is that important, then you shouldn't be playing. The only thing more annoying than cell phone ringers are people talking on cell phones.

twoputtok
Mar 09 2006, 12:12 PM
or people talking about people talking on cell phones. :o

That really annoys me. :D

jeterdawg
Mar 09 2006, 12:45 PM
It'd be cool if all phones had the feature mind does...it's a smartphone and whenever there's an appointment scheduled in Outlook, the phone automatically goes to silent during the appointment time. Since I put all the tournaments in there since I have a busy schedule, it goes off automatically. The problem still remains though with people who aren't anally organized like I am or when you're doing something casual/impulsive like seeing a movie...obviously things like that don't go in the calendar. I think more and more phones are going to come out with features like this, so take advantage.

wzink
Mar 09 2006, 02:21 PM
Sometimes I wonder how any of us ever got through a day before these devilish devices were invented. A cell phone ringing during a tournament round should bring immediate disqualification. And perhaps compensation to the player whose drive went flying out-of-bounds when the cell phone rang during his runup.

rhett
Mar 09 2006, 02:32 PM
There are a million situations where you shouldn't use your cell phone: driving, playing disc golf, eating at a restaurant, in a class, at the movies, etc......
I'm sick of hearing cell phone ringers and people talking on their cell phones. The last place I want to hear someone's cell phone is at the disc golf course. <font color="blue"> Most tournaments I go to, the TD tells everyone at the players meeting to turn their cell phones off, or on vibrate. That should be the automatic warning. After that, if a phone rings, it should be a stroke. </font> If you HAVE to talk on your phone at a tourney, then do the right thing and DNF. If something is that important, then you shouldn't be playing. The only thing more annoying than cell phone ringers are people talking on cell phones.

I agree with the Donkey on this.

The only exception I can think of was the guy one time who said his wife was supposed to give birth any minute, but that means any minute in the next 5 days. He sort of asked us all/explained the situation that if th ecall came he was going to DNF right there and go. We were all cool with that.

Other than that, if you can't be disconnected for the 3-5 hours that a tournament round takes, don't enter.

mattdisc
Mar 09 2006, 02:57 PM
3-5 hours for a round of disc golf :confused: What the heck, we always wanted to be like ball golf. 3-5 hours per round is why I quit playing with the little ball. I don't care how long the course is or how many people partake, 3-5 hours stinks! :mad:

Sorry about the thread drift, cell phones need to be on vibrate or turned off, no exceptions. If your wife is expecting at any minute, what the heck are you doing playing in a tournament?? /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

neonnoodle
Mar 09 2006, 04:14 PM
Sometimes I wonder how any of us ever got through a day before these devilish devices were invented. A cell phone ringing during a tournament round should bring immediate disqualification. And perhaps compensation to the player whose drive went flying out-of-bounds when the cell phone rang during his runup.

I agree.

neonnoodle
Mar 09 2006, 04:18 PM
3-5 hours for a round of disc golf :confused: What the heck, we always wanted to be like ball golf. 3-5 hours per round is why I quit playing with the little ball. I don't care how long the course is or how many people partake, 3-5 hours stinks! :mad:

Sorry about the thread drift, cell phones need to be on vibrate or turned off, no exceptions. If your wife is expecting at any minute, what the heck are you doing playing in a tournament?? /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I agree, though I like the option of a 3.5 hour round if it's on a worthy course with 6 par 3s 2 par 5s and 10 par 4s or the like.

Beyond rules, having your cell phone ring in the middle of a PDGA round is just rude.

MTL21676
Mar 09 2006, 05:40 PM
Beyond rules, having your cell phone ring in the middle of a PDGA round is just rude.

Exactly. IF there is someone that needs to get in touch with you that badly and it's that important, then you probably shouldn't be playing a tournament!!

krazyeye
Mar 09 2006, 09:15 PM
I had my phone but couldn't hear it ringing due to 40mph winds.. Long story short. My employer said "If you can't hear your phone have it in your pocket on vibrate". I hate to think about what they expect me to do with my phone when I go swimming or take a shower.

quickdisc
Mar 10 2006, 05:51 PM

Exactly. IF there is someone that needs to get in touch with you that badly and it's that important, then you probably shouldn't be playing a tournament!!

Just like in Church , Court , Library and other places , CELL PHONES NEED TO BE TURNED OFF WHILE PLAYING DISC GOLF. PERIOD.

OR ELSE. :mad:..............Not good to anger someone.

chiapat
Mar 11 2006, 01:41 PM
Donny is like the David Banner, you would not like him when he is angry.

And as a GM of a business and a father I keep my cell phone on vibrate and check it once in a while during play. If a cell phone rings on the course and no one hears it, does it really make a sound?

quickdisc
Mar 11 2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks Patrick. You are one of the few with etiquette. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

J_TEE
Mar 11 2006, 10:00 PM
Just get everyone you know to all hang around you while you practice. Have all of them let their phones ring the whole practice time, day after day!!! Then you will be used to that annoying ring while you are trying to sink that birdie putt for the win!!!!! :D

krazyeye
Mar 11 2006, 10:08 PM
That is why I miss so many putts in tournaments. I usually practice with kids running around, cars going by, and my doubles partner trying to make me miss. I need to start practicing in the basement.

quickdisc
Mar 12 2006, 04:53 PM
Just get everyone you know to all hang around you while you practice. Have all of them let their phones ring the whole practice time, day after day!!! Then you will be used to that annoying ring while you are trying to sink that birdie putt for the win!!!!! :D

And have those guys smoking pot , blow it in your face with those cigarette smokers and guys who won't stop talking all the time. :(

quickdisc
Mar 13 2006, 05:21 PM
:D" Donny is like the David Banner, you would not like him when he is angry."

I actually look more like wolverine now !!!! :cool:

J_TEE
Mar 14 2006, 01:49 PM
Yea, that's the ticket. Practice with all that going on. That way when you play a serious event, you can be whining about there not being enough noise to concentrate properly. What happened to the "let's have fun and chunk some discs" part of this sport??? Some people have children and jobs, therefore these people have to leave their cell phones on during play. Everybody can't just tune out life because they are out having fun at that moment!!

quickdisc
Mar 14 2006, 03:17 PM
All I'm saying is , put the phone on vibrate and if you really have to , check voice mail messages between tees while waiting.

J_TEE
Mar 14 2006, 04:03 PM
I'm just messin' wichya!!!! All I'm sayin' is noise and little *&%$ doesn't bother me while I play. If it starts to, I will put on my headphones and jam out while I play!!! Simple solution to distractions.....