keithjohnson
Feb 25 2006, 11:47 PM
for all rules folks....
and in case chuck and nick have me on ignore... could someone quote this and post it so they might answer as i value chucks rules insight...
thanks in advance
keith

question: at the memorial there is a double mandy on hole 4(original 6-7 / 6-8 depending on division)....knowing the course and using the map/tee signs that barley has made...it seems like if there is not a 250-300 foot line painted to connect them, that any shot passing the first OR second tree mando but finishing left of the tree would be considerd "missing" the mando the way the rule is written although the rule was most likely made for trees nearer to each other and at an angle versus the trees at the memorial which are(i'm pretty sure) wanted to be considered as TWO separate SINGLE mando's.....

anyone on the rules zealot list,or not who wants to try to explain the correct ruling now has the floor

ck34
Feb 25 2006, 11:54 PM
In this case, it wouldn't be some giant double mando anyway because both trees must be passed to the right. I'm assuming the drop zone for the first one will probably be the tee. The other one should probably have a paint line to the right side of the tree and back a few meters from it.

keithjohnson
Feb 26 2006, 07:47 PM
<font color="blue">assuming and should...isn't this where we ALWAYS get into trouble with rules??? </font>

i know what you are saying but if they call it a DOUBLE mando like it has been bandied about as being then "assuming and should" go right out the window in the black and white of the rules as the rulebook says NOTHING about having to pass different sides to be considered a double mando...it just says a STRAIGHT line between the 2 mando points...

i've already played enough events in arizona where every group plays by different rules in the same tournament because of "local",or "this is way dan says" or people just plain NOT knowing the rules....

you would hope that at our first national tour that we wouldn't be "assuming and should"(ing) the rules

just my opinion
keith

ck34
Feb 26 2006, 08:07 PM
I can say with certainty it's no double mando. It's two mandos. If all they do is put an arrow on both trees, they will have met the minimum requirements for single mandos. Where the drop zones are located isn't required because the rules tell you where to play from if you miss a mando and TD hasn't marked it. But I expect the drop zones will be marked even if Dan doesn't do it because the PDGA marshals will be playing the course on Wednesday in our annual Summit doubles round.

neonnoodle
Feb 27 2006, 12:22 PM
I don't have you on ignore, but the rules zealots list is a short one:

#001 Bill Burns
#002 Scott Wolfe
#003 Jim Barnett
#004 Rhett Stroh
#005 Yours Truly

Considering Bill has sworn off ever posting again here, that list is not likely to ever change.

I think Chuck has got it right though, they sound like two separate mandos.

Have fun out there and say what up to all the homie's, especially Dan G.

AviarX
Feb 27 2006, 12:28 PM
Why did Bill swear off ever posting here? wasn't his user name ex-czar?

neonnoodle
Feb 27 2006, 12:42 PM
Can't say. I've seen loads of die-hards just wonder away. I suppose it just stopped being fun for him.

AviarX
Feb 27 2006, 01:05 PM
that's too bad. in my pre-membership days, coming to this message board and DISCussing with guys like Bill who had love for the game got me hooked on disc golf and i subsequently became a member.

that experience is one reason i think the "no-non-members" posting rule is short-sighted...

august
Feb 27 2006, 01:15 PM
Can't say. I've seen loads of die-hards just wonder away. I suppose it just stopped being fun for him.

Yeah, makes you wander why.

neonnoodle
Feb 27 2006, 03:52 PM
I love puntilious people. Imagine all the harm that would be done if they didn't have spelling to police?

In the passed I'd band him from the bored...

bruce_brakel
Feb 27 2006, 04:13 PM
If I may quote dictionary.com,

Did you mean punctilious (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=punctilious)?

august
Feb 27 2006, 06:16 PM
Who you callin' a punc?

keithjohnson
Feb 27 2006, 10:20 PM
I can say with certainty it's no double mando. <font color="blue"> i know that,just saying what it was being called </font> It's two mandos. If <font color="blue"> IF </font> all they do is put an arrow on both trees, they will have met the minimum requirements for single mandos. Where the drop zones are located isn't required because the rules tell you where to play from if you miss a mando and TD hasn't marked it. But I expect the drop zones will be marked even if Dan doesn't do it because the PDGA marshals will be playing the course on Wednesday in our annual Summit doubles round. <font color="blue"> knowing people with rules knowledge(yourself)would be there is the reason i brought it up to begin with and asked for your thoughts....SO it does get taken care of AHEAD of time not DURING like what usually happens :p </font>

thanks for your time and patience chuck....i wanted other players to be aware of stuff ahead of time so everyone is on the same page as much as possible..as i mentioned before...sometimes every card is playing by different rules interpretations skewing the playing field for those of us playing by the pdga rule book,not "this is the way we always play" rulebook...
thanks again
keith

ck34
Feb 27 2006, 10:24 PM
No problem. Sorry I won't be able to make it this year to see the layout. Had to cancel trip today to deal with medical issue (heart stuff again).

keithjohnson
Feb 27 2006, 10:44 PM
stop arguing with nick and lowe and your heart will be strong again!! :D

seriously i hope all is well and i'm sorry to miss you....
if you are speaking with anyone out there,please ask them to look at what we've been talking about...
thanks in advance
keith

ck34
Feb 27 2006, 10:58 PM
I'm still giving my presentations via phone while someone clicks the PowerPoint slides at the Summit meeting Thursday. So, I'll be in touch. Heck, I'll even do a play-by-play on here if someone wants to talk with me by phone during the last 9 holes in Open.

neonnoodle
Mar 05 2006, 04:44 PM
How did it go? What is early word out of the summit? Is Pat our new
Incite Director? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif