Feb 18 2006, 04:01 PM
I'm pretty new to the game of discgolf, playing since last April, and im throwing anywere from 250 to 280ft. I would like to know if I am getting good distance for my age and my experience level. I am about 15 years old.

dannyreeves
Feb 18 2006, 04:04 PM
that is just fine for how long you have played.

go to www.discgolfreview.com (http://www.discgolfreview.com) and read everything you can. also watch the videos. that will really help you.

what discs are you throwing?

Feb 18 2006, 04:08 PM
I have heard of that website but i havent really looked into it. My main drivers are a 168g Firebird, 171g Teebird, 175g Orc, and a 168g Valk.

quickdisc
Feb 18 2006, 04:17 PM
I have heard of that website but i havent really looked into it. My main drivers are a 168g Firebird, 171g Teebird, 175g Orc, and a 168g Valk.

Cool !!!!! Atleast you are throwing the right plastic !!!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dannyreeves
Feb 18 2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah I would study everything on that site. It will help a lot.

Also, I would get 5-10 of the same driver to practice. I recommend getting 165 gram DX Teebirds. For your power level, that will be perfect for teaching you to throw properly. I wouldn't mess with premium plasic or overstable discs right now.

dannyreeves
Feb 18 2006, 04:21 PM

Cool !!!!! Atleast you are throwing the right plastic !!!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

was that sarcasm? :D

quickdisc
Feb 18 2006, 04:24 PM

was that sarcasm? :D

Just Fishing !!!! :D Some times I like trolling for a bite !!!!! :D

Feb 18 2006, 09:44 PM
What type of plastic should I be throwing? Star, Champion, Pro or Dx?

Parkntwoputt
Feb 18 2006, 11:17 PM

DX if you have soft surfaces to land on, or no trees. (all my putters are Pro-D version of DX)

Pro if you want to pay more for a disc that loses it's stability as fast as DX.

Champion if you do not mind slick discs in the rain

Star if you just want to spend more money then champion.

AviarX
Feb 19 2006, 12:27 AM

Star and Champion are the most durable -- Star has more grip. Star and Champion are more overstable and take more power to turn over than Pro and DX. Pro is less durable but has more grip and glide. DX is least durable and least expensive -- has good grip and is probably easiest to throw.

Something like a DX Teebird might be in order -- or maybe a Sidewinder if you feel like you have to have something longer and faster (though slower discs are easier to control). Playing with just a midrange and putter and not using a driver will help your game too because midranges and putters will force you to learn better technique (and that will lead to more distance down the road).

Rather than get a whole bunch of different discs -- you are probably best off sticking with a few molds and learning those discs well. For your putter -- go with the type of plastic that feels best in your hand.

I highly recommend reading the Beginner Tips (http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/tips.shtml) and instructional articles (http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml) articles at Blake T'.s disc golf site: www.discgolfreview.com (http://www.discgolfreview.com) Blake covers everything from grip to distance to putting to types of plastic in his many helpful articles there.

your distance sounds great for your age and experience. if you stay with it and like it enough to practice putting -- the sky's the limit.

Greatzky2
Feb 19 2006, 01:00 AM
I would recommend DX..
I learned to play just as the "champion" label was coming out so i grabbed all CHampion and Z plastic discs. This is a horrible way to learn and i've basically spent the last 2 years trying to relearn how to throw.
Luckily with the personal coaching of Blake T(from discgolfreview.com) over the last 2 weeks I"ve been playing my best ever..

I would recommend DX becuase it won't mask bad throws as much. when it beats in you will have to learn how to throw hyzers and not just flattened out anhyzers.. Champion is good, but won't have the same characteristics of DX.

Until i talked to Blake I only threw Champion/Z drivers because i didn't want Drivers that could bend and change so quickly. I still had DX putters(don't putt with champion/z), but I kept my drivers and even mids as champion/z... Now that i have a stack of DX teebirds i understand that they won't beat in as quickly as I thought if you cycle them and then you will have 3 discs at different levels to round out your bag.

Basically I'd recommend that you throw DX discs (drivers, mids don't matter too much, and putters definatley DX) and try to possibly throw a little lighter plastic too.. maybe in the mid-high 160's..

-Scott Lewis

P.s. 250-280 ft for a 15yr old playing less than a year is pretty **** good. I'd worry more about accuracy(sounds so cliche) instead of distance though. If a hole is 350 feet and you can throw 250 right through the gap or right in the middle of the fairway then you only have a 100 foot upshot/jump putt.. If you can throw 370 with no accuracy chances are you will still not be in putting range.. So you're better off throwing more accurately especially because you'll see a difference on the holes that are in your range.

Parkntwoputt
Feb 19 2006, 01:09 AM
Depending on what part of texas he is from, he may have very rocky soil to contend with. And while I agree with you that Champion/Z plastic being more overstable then DX/Pro-D, there is also the matter of proper disc selection too. A beginner should not be throwing Firebirds in any plastic. However, if he has rocky soil or an excessive amount of trees on his course then Champion/Z is the way to go. To access the understable characteristics of DX/Pro-D, throw lighter weights.

As far as distance is concerned, it is not as important as accuracy or putting.

But if you really want pure distance, I throw DX Beasts and Orcs for distance compettions. It is said that the rougher surface of the plastic greatest pockets of air that break up wind resistance. While at such slow speeds this is minimal, I just believe the less stable qualities of the DX plastic lends to be better distance comp discs.

But definately do not putt with Champion/Z plastic, it slides through the chains much more then DX/Pro-D.

discgolfreview
Feb 19 2006, 01:51 AM
my advice is to stick to dx/pro d until you have developed the skill basics of the game. flight manipulation is something best learned with dx/d plastic. once you have that down, and the D you are looking for, then it is your choice as to what plastic you wish to throw. as for LEARNING it, you are best off with standard plastic.

contrary to popular belief, disc golf was played for many years before the invention of champion/z plastics in 2000 :P

i believe these plastics have also affected course management by many up and coming players. i see far too many players slamming into early trees because they are trying to thread a local route 6" off of the first tree throwing 100% power and flat rather than their primary focus being to get by the first tree. i would say the power they throw with on those shots is often dictated by the discs they are throwing and their power requirement to hold a line and it is perpetuated by the minimal consequence of hitting the first tree with a full power throw.

imo, control/accuracy and power relate like a bell curve. too little or too much power input leads to dramatic decreases in accuracy.

if your long run goal is to develop a complete fundamental game, i will reiterate my advice to learn with more responsive/controllable plastic and making the decision on plastic after you have the necessary tools.

Feb 19 2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks everybody.I will take everybodys advice in buying my next discs. Yes, i live in dallas and the soil is pretty rocky down here. Thanks again.

Feb 19 2006, 09:49 AM
Another question. I throw most of my discs backhand and few forehand. I seem to get more distance with my forehand. Which one shoud i practice more, forehand or backhand?

Parkntwoputt
Feb 19 2006, 10:20 AM
Quote from Dean Tannock 2005 Mens Masters World Champion, and Team Innova Champion Member.

"practice the things you do the worst, then you will be good at everything."

While you may be able to get more distance with a forehand, and I know many people who can. The backhand shot is more controllable in windy conditions.

I wish I had more of a forehand, I throw about 99% of my shots backhand, and use forehand and overhand shots as utility shots.

If you can get to the point where you are just as good with a forehand as you are backhand, then you will be a threat on any course. Plus you will not have to carry as many discs, since you would not really need as many understable discs.

discgolfreview
Feb 19 2006, 03:06 PM
if you had to choose one to master, the backhand is the superior choice in the long run due to distance potential and muscle fatigue (backhand tires the legs, sidearm tires the arm).

my advice is to have all of the shots you deem "applicable" to an average round of golf.

a sidearm hyzer is not a perfect substitute for an anhyzer/turnover. nor is a backhand hyzer a perfect substitute for a sidearm turnover/anhyzer. however, on the majority of courses you will find about 85% of the left fades are righty hyzer holes with only 15% of the left fades being sidearm turnover holes. however, for right turn holes, about 50% of them will be backhand anhyzer/turnover and the other 50% being sidearm hyzer. in some of these cases, a backhand roller is a closer substitute to a sidearm hyzer, etc.

that being said, if i had to prioritize shots for the learning curve:
1) backhand straight - master
2) backhand hyzer - master
3) sidearm hyzer - very good
4) backhand anhyzer/turnover - very good
5) backhand roller - proficient
6) sidearm turnover/anhyzer - proficient

once that is established, the trickle down method of learning will lead to mastering all of them in the long run.

Chris Hysell
Feb 19 2006, 05:20 PM
Wow. Arm fatigue from a sidearm? Maybe with poor technique.

dannyreeves
Feb 19 2006, 07:29 PM
Wow. Arm fatigue from a sidearm? Maybe with poor technique.

Was throwing so much sidearm the reason Stokely has elbow and back problems?

quickdisc
Feb 19 2006, 07:56 PM
Good Distance , comes from Strength and proper Technique..............and alot of practice !!!!!!!!

superq16504
Feb 20 2006, 11:21 AM

Try an X crush, a Z buzz, a Pro Challenger, and a Z predator, this should get you through 90% of the situations you will encounter in Texas, and dont be afraid to throw in a Z crush or flash if you need a little anny. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Theres the D craft plug, I know we were all waiting for it, now just waiting for the Gateway guys to pop in. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

superq16504
Feb 20 2006, 11:21 AM

Try an X crush, a Z buzz, a Pro Challenger, and a Z predator, this should get you through 90% of the situations you will encounter in Texas, and dont be afraid to throw in a Z crush or flash if you need a little anny. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Theres the D craft plug, I know we were all waiting for it, now just waiting for the Gateway guys to pop in. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Feb 20 2006, 01:42 PM
Its amazing what learning one little thing about a throw can do for you. I was playing last week and messin around with some sidearms. My sidearm game was weak and inconsistant. I could probably only get it 250' tops. Then I started to use the sidearm x step thing and started spinning my hips really fast. Now I can throw nearly as far as I can backhand. I can definately crank a sidearm over 350' and my backhand is like 380'. The best part about my new sidearm is that it is very accurate also.

Just learning one little thing will probably push my rating over 950 this year. Being able to throw both ways accurately is deadly.

Stick with it, and try to get as much advice as possible from pros. All it might take is one tip to gain you an extra 100+' of distance very quickly. I gained 100' of sidearm distance instantly because of one tip.

Distance is all about a smooth effortless technique.

dannyreeves
Feb 20 2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah a Z-Predator for him is a terrible idea. He only throws 280'.

superq16504
Feb 20 2006, 01:55 PM
light one, I throw all max, I just picked up a 161 g Z pred, that thing is a flying machine, thrown flat it flips up a little and glides 400+ :D

quickdisc
Mar 01 2006, 10:47 PM
Good Distance , comes from Strength and proper Technique..............and alot of practice !!!!!!!!

And throwing quality plastic !!!!!

Archemike
Mar 04 2006, 10:31 PM
Another question. I throw most of my discs backhand and few forehand. I seem to get more distance with my forehand. Which one shoud i practice more, forehand or backhand?

For the most part:

Forehand = quick learning of distance, max out quick

Backhand = long-term learning of distance, harder to max out

So at 15 yrs. of age I would learn both. I am 17 and know both, yet backhand is definitely stronger and it is worth the effort that I put in, in practice.