Feb 09 2006, 08:34 PM
How far can you guys throw a disc at about 7 to 8' in the air on flat ground?

the_kid
Feb 09 2006, 10:19 PM
7' to 8's more like 11' to 12'. Kinda like most people say they missed a 10footer but it was like 20ft. Anyway like 410-435'

krazyeye
Feb 09 2006, 10:28 PM
I max out about 350'-360' less than 8' off the ground. I can't figure out how to throw higher or farther. Except shorter spike hyzers go higher. And I miss lots of ten footers I wish were 20 footers.

Parkntwoputt
Feb 09 2006, 11:00 PM
7' to 8's more like 11' to 12'. Kinda like most people say they missed a 10footer but it was like 20ft. Anyway like 410-435'

Yeah a lot of people cannot judge height, they will say their disc lofted 30ft in the air, when it really was only 12-15ft.

7-8ft is my normal driving height, maxing that around 390-410 with decent consistentcy. You need height to reach mad D.

z Vaughn z
Feb 09 2006, 11:24 PM
My low flat drive goes about 145' feet when I'm feeling warmed up.

AviarX
Feb 09 2006, 11:37 PM
How far can you guys throw a disc at about 7 to 8' in the air on flat ground?

depends completely on the disc. Discs like putters or the older slower drivers need to be thrown high to go far. The latest super fast distance drivers can go a long way low. That can be a blessing or a curse. It makes long low ceiling shots more do-able, but controlling how far the disc goes on a no ceiling shot by controlling the heigth is out-the-window.

MARKB
Feb 10 2006, 12:41 AM
I would say more around 10ft or more off the ground, depending on the disc around 400ft.

discgolfreview
Feb 10 2006, 12:47 AM
if you measure the apex as the height, from my experiences most people under-measure height.

each disc has its own glide/lift/hover characteristics as well as a cruise speed which will dictate its distance potential at a given height. this will also vary a lot depending upon the climate of the area you are in, air thickness, etc.

with current drivers, an 8-10' apex will yield a distance peak of ~400', but most players do not throw that far at that height. with an older school driver like a gazelle or cyclone an 8-10' apex will yield distance closer to ~280'. these will vary disc by disc and whether or not the disc turns over, etc. but can be used as approximates.

Feb 10 2006, 01:27 AM
Ok, the reason I ask this is because, I can throw my Orions and Crushes low and fast to about 365 to 385' with great accuracy, but when I throw higher S shots Im only maxing out right at 400' with no kind of accuracy at all.

I know that with my power I should be throwing 450 to 500'. I just cant figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Do I need to use more of a run-up? When I throw my low shots, I can get them to 385' with only two steps. I just get all kinds of messed up when I try a run up.

superq16504
Feb 10 2006, 09:27 AM
8-11 feet I can throw about 115 with a sb orc. :)

I need lessons :D

williethekid
Feb 10 2006, 10:13 PM
thats basically the only throw I make, I dont really throw distance shots, just golf shots, and in New England thats the only distance shot u can make.

greenbeard
Feb 21 2006, 11:26 AM
I throw alot of Wraith shots 6" or lower. Sick hovercrafting. Distance is 300+ normally, low shot or not.

james_mccaine
Feb 21 2006, 11:36 AM
Ok, the reason I ask this is because, I can throw my Orions and Crushes low and fast to about 365 to 385' with great accuracy, but when I throw higher S shots Im only maxing out right at 400' with no kind of accuracy at all.

If you can throw low, flat shots that far, with great accuracy, then if you can putt, you can compete with most any golfer on the planet.

disctance00
Feb 21 2006, 12:04 PM

I know that with my power I should be throwing 450 to 500'. I just cant figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Do I need to use more of a run-up? When I throw my low shots, I can get them to 385' with only two steps. I just get all kinds of messed up when I try a run up.

An "S" shot is hard to control, lots of practice required to be accurate. Is your plant foot on the line your trying to throw when you throw "S" shots? Do you have the nose down to avoid stalls? Do you have the correct angles on the release? Do you squeeze down on the disc? Where is your thumb positioned on the disc for the big "S" shot? These are all things I do when I'm throwing an "S" shot. When I get them all right I tend to get some accurate "S" bombs.

quickdisc
Feb 21 2006, 07:07 PM

An "S" shot is hard to control, lots of practice required to be accurate. Is your plant foot on the line your trying to throw when you throw "S" shots? Do you have the nose down to avoid stalls? Do you have the correct angles on the release? Do you squeeze down on the disc? Where is your thumb positioned on the disc for the big "S" shot? These are all things I do when I'm throwing an "S" shot. When I get them all right I tend to get some accurate "S" bombs.

No doubt !!!!! Got's to be careful , how hard you squeeze !!!!!
http://www.volnation.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/focus.gif

xterramatt
Feb 21 2006, 09:41 PM
I throw alot of Wraith shots 6" or lower. Sick hovercrafting. Distance is 300+ normally, low shot or not.

Is your Wraith set to Mulch?

Perhaps you mean 6'.

Either that or you are a forest gnome with a wickid sidearm. :) That would explain the beard.

chris
Feb 21 2006, 10:08 PM
0' I wish I could throw that low. When it's a low ceiling shot under 8' I will always hit the **** branch and go nowhere.

the_kid
Feb 21 2006, 10:15 PM
But you hit the putt right? :D

ck34
Feb 22 2006, 08:57 AM

superq16504
Feb 22 2006, 10:17 AM
I have this debate almost every day, I play with a guy that equates height with distance, My natural throw seems to apex at about 12-15 feet, and every time I come up a little short I hear "a little higher and you would get there" I throw fairly deep, and I think for me The low throw is more dependable, and it keeps me out of trouble, if I release late or early, or if the disc gets squirly I am not that far off line. That is not to say I can not throw the high towering magnificant shot, just that for me lower is better, besides the basket is 5 feet tall what is the point of being 15 times higher than that, it adds an extra variable to the equasion, now you have to add decent angle in when you are drawing up the shot.

my .02

Parkntwoputt
Feb 22 2006, 11:07 AM
Your right, why toss out a kite when you can launch a bullet.

greenbeard
Feb 22 2006, 12:15 PM

Is your Wraith set to Mulch?

Perhaps you mean 6'.

Either that or you are a forest gnome with a wickid sidearm. :) That would explain the beard.

No, I do mean 6". I tend to get a crouch on sometimes, and yeah, they get under a foot. They seem to escape worm-burning, but for me this is only achieved with cfr wraiths that are pretty much newish. So I have two I only throw in those situations to keep em' fresh.

-and the beard is green due to a lack of showers. ;)

chris
Feb 22 2006, 12:30 PM
No, I do mean 6". I tend to get a crouch on sometimes, and yeah, they get under a foot.

One question: . . . . Why?

dannyreeves
Feb 22 2006, 01:23 PM
No, I do mean 6". I tend to get a crouch on sometimes, and yeah, they get under a foot.

Exactly what I was thinking.

adogg187420
Feb 22 2006, 01:26 PM
I think we found out who Bixby is.

disctance00
Feb 22 2006, 04:09 PM

Why ask why...he's gotta dirty green beard. /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I bet Greenbeard can't throw 3 in a row no more than 6" off the ground for 300+ft. :p

superq16504
Feb 22 2006, 04:36 PM
Have you played golf in Texas? every shot I threw down there was skimming of the ground, I am sure there are holes where a skim shot all the way is a great play... :D

See we cant do that here in Kansas, we have this thing called GRASS-- its green and grows from the dirt, makes for a good skip but no skimming allowed :confused:

accidentalROLLER
Feb 22 2006, 05:03 PM
See we cant do that here in Kansas, we have this thing called GRASS-- its green and grows from the dirt, makes for a good skip but no skimming allowed :confused:

Tell us more about this.....what was it.....oh yeah, GRASS. Its green and grows from the dirt? Oh, we call those bushes here. Sometimes they are part brown and part green, we call those trees. What do you call that blue stuff that makes my discs all yucky and slippery? :confused:

dannyreeves
Feb 22 2006, 05:32 PM

Tell us more about this.....what was it.....oh yeah, GRASS. Its green and grows from the dirt? Oh, we call those bushes here. Sometimes they are part brown and part green, we call those trees. What do you call that blue stuff that makes my discs all yucky and slippery? :confused:

Smurf semen.

quickdisc
Feb 22 2006, 05:44 PM

Also depends on how much fertilizer and re-claimed waste water is used !!!!! Stuff !!!!!
Some grasses have more slime than others because of this reason. Some courses also have been sprayed with poison for bugs and insects and even rodents !!!! :eek:
Don't lick your fingers while playing , you may get sick !!!! ;)

greenbeard
Feb 22 2006, 06:50 PM

Why ask why...he's gotta dirty green beard. /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I bet Greenbeard can't throw 3 in a row no more than 6" off the ground for 300+ft. :p

I throw like like from time to time because I'm one of those nuckleheads that tries to reproduce 'lucky' or 'goofy' shots a little too much. My throw just devoloped like that in certain situations.

And I'd go 2 out of 3 on those throws ;)

JIO
Feb 23 2006, 12:57 AM
I didn't know until today when I messed up a drive and released too low. The disc stayed around 6' or less off the ground and it traveled a little over 400 feet. I got a good skip, though. Used a Star Wraith.

vwkeepontruckin
Feb 23 2006, 12:37 PM

Smurf semen.

Thank you for making me spit up soda on my keyboard. :o:D

disctance00
Feb 23 2006, 02:20 PM
Have you played golf in Texas? every shot I threw down there was skimming of the ground, I am sure there are holes where a skim shot all the way is a great play... :D

Was that a question for me? if so, uh...I live and play in Texas and am from Kansas where I started playing 9 yrs ago, but very true not much skip action in Ks. compared to here in Tejas. I never played the skip shot untill I moved here.

smurf semen LMFAO!!! :D

superq16504
Feb 23 2006, 04:04 PM
Smurf Semen.... classic :D

quickdisc
Feb 23 2006, 04:08 PM
Smurf Semen.... classic :D

Is that Blue ? :eek:

ChrisWoj
Feb 23 2006, 07:51 PM

Hrm... I've always equated an S or Helix shot with what I do with my wraith: "over" hyzer-flip them up into a long, low anny and then they come back left off of the anny and give me a skip.

There's a local player, 19 year old kid that only comes out once every few months, he likes to pull out his old old old eagle (he's been playin since he was 13 apparently and stopped playin regular two years ago), I think CE (are there CE eagles?), and just BOMBS IT... he'll throw it with a hyzer release, sky high into the air, gets the absolute highest s-curving shot I've seen... and tends to land 30-40 feet short of the pin.... on our 526 foot hole one from the pros.

I keep tryin to get him to throw a wraith but he refuses :)

the_kid
Feb 23 2006, 08:53 PM
Give him a Teebird as it will go farther than a wraith on that kind of line. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

quickdisc
Mar 01 2006, 08:03 PM
Or try the new Star Valkerie !!!!

disctance00
Mar 03 2006, 06:09 PM

Why does he refuse? Does he not like the wider rim of a Wraith -vs- Eagles?

quickdisc
Mar 03 2006, 06:51 PM

Why does he refuse? Does he not like the wider rim of a Wraith -vs- Eagles?

Or try the New Dx Wraith at 173 grams..........................Fast !!!! :eek:

veganray
Mar 03 2006, 08:10 PM
If you can throw an Eagle (or a pickle-bucket top, for that matter) 526 ft. within 30 feet of the target, why try anything else?