Big E
Feb 01 2006, 04:29 PM
Hey has anyone ever tried to get a course put in at River Legacy? They have tons of space to use that would not effect the rest of the park!

Big E
Feb 06 2006, 01:16 PM
I heard at the vet this weekend that someone had tryed but nobody new who it was or if they where still doing it!

my_hero
Feb 08 2006, 11:32 AM
The day the City of Arlington, Texas lets us put in another disc golf course is the day i'll come out of my semi-retirement.

They almost made us pull Vet's in 1997. We are fortunate to still have it. :confused:

Big E
Feb 08 2006, 12:29 PM
I just dont understand with all that space going to waste! They just kicked out the BMX riders why not use that area for something that would draw more people to parts of the park that are not being used, I guess that's the way things are!

my_hero
Feb 08 2006, 12:46 PM
In the city's eyes, we are just as destructive to "nature" as the BMX'ers.

As for Vet's in 1997, it was almost lost b/c we were throwing across sidewalks and over amphitheatres. The city wanted to pull the baskets and the ADGA fought for a redesigned course......the one you see today.

Big E
Feb 08 2006, 03:09 PM
I can not believe they have that type of view of disc golfer's. I know and have heard of more conservationists in disc golf than any other sport I can think of and we have rules in place about destroying the habitat! I wish they would take another look at this issue and see what disc golf brings to the park and the city!

Feb 13 2006, 11:45 PM
In the city's eyes, we are just as destructive to "nature" as the BMX'ers.

As for Vet's in 1997, it was almost lost b/c we were throwing across sidewalks and over amphitheatres. The city wanted to pull the baskets and the ADGA fought for a redesigned course......the one you see today.

I loved the course back then...
The hole that went over the pond was great!

colin-evans
Feb 14 2006, 11:01 PM
I once saw a bobcat in that park. He was walking down the road. I bet evryone would let him play through. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ce

gotcha
Feb 16 2006, 11:26 AM

I remember the day it happened. Marie and I had moved to North Carolina and we had returned to visit friends/family in early 1997. I played the mini that Sunday morning, then jumped on a plane to NC later that afternoon.

The next morning I received a call from Rose Edwards informing me that the front nine had been pulled by the Arlington Parks & Recreation Department. They informed the club the front nine could never be used again for disc golf. Throwing over and around sidewalks was not the only issue, however. Numerous complaints from playground patrons overhearing vulgar language near hole 7's green was more common than pedestrians being hit with plastic. Missing a put on that green was not the best location to demonstrate the use of one's four letter vocabulary.

Though I liked the original design, the new course design works better for all park patrons. I do think it is cool that the park lets the ADGA set up the old front nine for tournaments.

Before I had left TX in late 1996, we were beginning to initiate talks with the Parks & Rec folks who managed the northern district of Arlington. Randoll Mill Park has some acreage on the north side of I30 that was originally walking/nature trails. The city ended up closing of the entrance to the park due to an increased number of unwanted activity in that area of the park. We were approaching the city with the idea of utilizing the land for a small 9 hole recreational course. I ended up relocating to NC at that time and I believe nobody in the club followed up on that lead. Unfortunately, there was a lot of dissention and disagreement amoung many club members at that time.