oceanjones
Jan 24 2006, 06:23 PM
Ok, I know this is early but i have to ask. I just saw the add for the KCWO in Disc Golf World News. Did I read that correctly? Are am's only playing three rounds?

MARKB
Jan 24 2006, 08:43 PM
I just read that today too...

Somewhat confusing with all the different schedules and courses. What courses are the Advanced playing then? I am playing Open in state but Advanced out of state as long as I am still under 955 but I might just play open if Am is only playing 3 rounds.

the_kid
Jan 24 2006, 10:29 PM
Do the Pros play any courses in KS or do they stay on the MO side of the city? I was just wondering as I vowed to never play in KS again after my performance at Rosedale last year. :D

MARKB
Jan 24 2006, 11:46 PM
Do the Pros play any courses in KS or do they stay on the MO side of the city? I was just wondering as I vowed to never play in KS again after my performance at Rosedale last year. :D

Waterworks, rosedale and blue valley it looks like Matt...

You are just upset that a 917 (rated at the time) player almost beat you... Well I should have beat you if I didnt blow up that last round at rosedale...

Thats ok, my game has elevated greatly...

the_kid
Jan 24 2006, 11:53 PM

Waterworks, rosedale and blue valley it looks like Matt...

You are just upset that a 917 (rated at the time) player almost beat you... Well I should have beat you if I didnt blow up that last round at rosedale...

Thats ok, my game has elevated greatly...

No I am upset that I shot 920 and 937 at that course. :D

MARKB
Jan 24 2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah that is pretty bad come to think of it... During practice rounds I was shooting 5-7 under and I couldn't even get close to under par during the event...

Hell the first time I played there 2 years ago, I was not a very good player at all but that course killed me the first round I ever played there. +20 over par! But then again that was a long time ago... something about that course.

superq16504
Jan 25 2006, 09:21 AM
Wow Blue valley in the WO, that will be sic, If you have not played the course I would highly recomend you get out early, That course can be brutal...

WW BV and ROS that is a good lineup for the Pros, Personaly I can take or leave Rosedale, I would rather play Swope on a rope or WYCO. :D

MARKB
Jan 25 2006, 10:23 AM
Honestly I love rosedale, it just reminds me of a longer version of my home course. I have not played blue valley but in 2004 I did get a chance to see the land that it was going to be put on and I can only imagine!

superq16504
Jan 25 2006, 11:33 AM
they had it surveyed

11,049 feet That is a disc golf course, not to mention the elevation changes...

MARKB
Jan 25 2006, 11:54 AM
The add in dgwn says 12000 ft...

oceanjones
Jan 25 2006, 01:16 PM
So the pro's are playing 5 rounds? Am's are playing 3? I wonder how many am's will decide not to play. Plastic payout is like a guaranteed sale for TD's right?

MARKB
Jan 25 2006, 02:25 PM
So the pro's are playing 5 rounds? Am's are playing 3? I wonder how many am's will decide not to play. Plastic payout is like a guaranteed sale for TD's right?

I will tell you that I was going to play advanced but 3 rounds for an 8 hour drive isnt enough for me. I want at least 4 and I was disappointed last year when it went down to 2 days instead of the 5 rounds on 3 days of the first year I attended. I will probably pony up the money and play open this year because it looks like it will be a better investment of my money!

However with change your going to find people against it, people for it and people that could care less soooo to each their own

oceanjones
Jan 25 2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah...I'm no where near Open, but 3 rounds may make me change my mind. So my new goal will have to be don't go DFL! :cool:

superq16504
Jan 25 2006, 02:55 PM
i have not played this event in a few years, even though I am less than an hour from all the courses and play them all frequently. I think this year I will make it out pending a friday vacation day aproval from the JOB. I like most of the open field will be donating, however there is an atmosphere around this event that is hard to miss. I remember the first year I went up I was warming up at swope, I had been playing for like 3-4 years as an am. This guy walks up and asks if he can throw with me, I'm like sure turn around to introduce myself, It was Climo... man that made my weekend, stayed on the lead card till the last round too...

I can not wait to get back, Kansas city knows how to run an event. :D

MARKB
Jan 25 2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah...I'm no where near Open, but 3 rounds may make me change my mind. So my new goal will have to be don't go DFL! :cool:

Thats a good goal!

My mentality no matter what division I am going to play is going to be "I am going to win", If I dont have that mentality I set myself up for less than 100% performance. I would say that if you based play off ratings, my 932 now, 950+ since june and I would say I am playing 3-4 strokes above that now as well so by June I might have my game straight enough to shoot some consistant golf! (We can dream)

Jan 26 2006, 04:12 PM
im gonna try and make the final round ON TIME!! past 2 years i missed the begining of the final round and had such so many added strokes i chose to DNF

circle_2
Jan 27 2006, 11:48 AM
Set your alarm now! :D

chappyfade
Feb 17 2006, 09:03 PM
im gonna try and make the final round ON TIME!! past 2 years i missed the begining of the final round and had such so many added strokes i chose to DNF

You should probably quit playing poker at 4AM so you can get up on time. :)

Chap (I'm all in! Jack's all in blind!)

jackinkc
Mar 13 2006, 06:23 PM
Let him, he can't win at poker anyway!

chappyfade
Mar 13 2006, 06:57 PM
That's true, he's usually out of chips by then.

tokyo
Mar 16 2006, 03:02 AM
I have heard great things about this tourny and I am planing on coming this year. Three rounds does suck but if you look at the trend that is how it is going for some of these big AM tournys. At Z Boaz we only played 3 and a half rounds which sucked but it still was good and it was a A tier tourny..

MARKB
Mar 16 2006, 01:45 PM
The only reason I think that the 3 rounds sucks is because I got to experience my first KCWO with a 5 round weekend 2 years ago and I was like I am coming back every year as I probably will

4 rounds wasnt too bad last year, had a few problems with the event but it was still ran well. But 3 rounds for a trip that I usually take the entire week to come down for (hit up courses on the way) just doesnt seem enough thats why I am playing open, but I think I would have played open anyhow

tokyo
Mar 16 2006, 08:56 PM
True, that drive would suck for just three rounds coming from the North.

Mar 18 2006, 01:38 PM
Mark, another plus to playing open would be that you get to play Blue Valley. what a course! :)

oceanjones
Mar 21 2006, 02:30 PM
Yup...after reading up on Blue Valley I decided to play open. Over 12,000 feet long??? Sounds like one fun day of shoulder pain to me. :)

eupher61
Mar 21 2006, 10:39 PM
Here's a description of BV by the inimitable Jack Lowe...

NOTE>>>>>this is NOT necessarily the final layout as it will be at the WO this year (and forever thusly) but it will give you a little clue about it .

Then, after the initial comments, Jack's statement of lengths as they were set for the City of Fountains Classic last summer. Again, not necessarily the final layout but not far off. NOTE ESPECIALLY the total length with the layout discussed here is 10,720--the length as we've been told of the final Championship Course is 11,049 feet, not taking into account the elevation changes, which are many and great. It seems that the course map is not available at the moment, sorry. We'll get a link up as soon as one is available again.
If you're heading this way anytime before the WO, BV Park is at 23rd and Topping, a bit NW of the Truman Sports Complex (Chiefs and Royals stadia). It's an impressive site!

1-probably close to 700', across a valley, on the backside of a hill for the first basket, road ob behind the basket about 100' away(par 4)
2-downhill 500' shot, with road ob behind the basket, about 90'(par 3)
3-througha valley and up hill higher, landing zone about 400-500' then another 300' foot shot, water OB to the right (par 5)
4-open fair way first 1/2 300-400', then through wooded area dogleg left across little valley (par 4)
5-Uphill shot about 330' road OB behind basket about 150' (par 3)
6-across Valley again, tight trees give about a 50' window from tee area hole probably ~350' current green slightly protected by trees (par 3)
7-Downhill shot about 650', road OB to the right green on side of hill (par 3)
8-Across Valley about 550', road OB to the right, Wall of Trees line to the left, basket on side of hill, location KEY (par 4)
9-Up hill across a valley to the landing zone ~350-400', dog leg right about another 350', nestled just outside of trees, with wodded area to the right, this combines two hole that we have used in the past (par 5)
Front 9=Par 34
10-uphill through tree line back towards the disc golf shelter, relatively straight on shot, but uphill and about 600' away, the top of the hill is about 550' away, so making it there, you need someone with a CRUSH, elevation on uphill plays a role, as basket is not visible after leaving the tee area (par 4)
11-Down hill about 600' in a cul-de-sac for a green, protected by trees all around, MONSTER arms will get it there to get a view the ret of us humans will try a tomahawk to get over the trees on the second the shot (par 4)
12-Back uphill towards shelter, Tough uphill shot about 550', gree protected by a couple of trees (par 4)
13-Downhill monseter about 900' with the green on the edge of the hill, to a severe drop off, then road OB about 80' behind it (par 4)
14-across the road tee area, road OB left, Woods right, trees in front, only about 450', but winding fairway and tight location make this a tough one (par 3)
15-across Valley, trees to left, road OB right, green sits on rocks about 90' away from road (par 3)
16-back up hill about 500' trees protect the fairway on both sides, and green sits atop the hill, with possibility of roll if short (par 4)
17-about 1000'-across a valley and up 2 tiers, getting to the shade in 1 is great, getting up the hill for the second shot is solid, then hitting the green, road OB on the left basket underneath 2 trees (par 4)
18-Tee through a wall of trees with a few openings (about 1000' again), then heading UPHILL continue to throw with along a valley with angles to the left of the hills. Road OB right and more importantly left. Green is on a peninsula of grass with crazy angle, location of your 4th shot for par is CRUCIAL. (par 5)
Back 9=35
total Par=69
====================
Blue Valley for City of Fountains Classic Elevation changes are from the teeing area as indicated, this is not the final layout of the course, but rather the course as it will be played for the event on July 16th, 2005.

Hole 1-642�, EL �4�
Hole 2-500� El �65�
Hole 3-734� El +44�
Hole 4
To Dogleg-397�EL �33� (dogleg is tree with dot on it)
From Dogleg to hole 325� EL �33�
Hole 5-350� EL +30�
Hole 6-358 EL -4�
Hole 7-658� EL �42�
Hole 8-617� EL �7�
Hole 9-
To Dogleg-424� EL +10� (dogleg is Concrete Picnic table top of hill)
From dogleg to hole 463� EL +24�

Front 9 total=5468

Hole 10- 522� EL +40�
Hole 11-538� EL �73� (as the crow flies)
To dogleg-477� EL -72� (dogleg is small opening at bottom of hill)
From dogleg to hole-114� EL �1
Hole 12-516� EL +52�
Hole 13-793� EL �59�
Hole 14-405� EL +14�
Hole 15-388� El �7�
Hole 16-447� EL +44�
Hole 17-774� EL +22�
Hole 18-816 EL +2�

Back 9 Total=5252

Total Length=10,720

bmoore
May 25 2006, 01:02 AM
Blue Valley sounds sweet.

Is there doubles Am or Pro Thursday?

I fly into KC Thursday morning (8th) then leaving for Lawrence for Wakarusa Music Fest later that afternoon.

eupher61
May 25 2006, 06:37 PM
1pm Friday Ice Breaker doubles at BV for ams, pros are already playing.

If you wanna hit BV Thursday nite, holler. Someone will join you, and probably pros will be previewing it casually anyway.

steve

eupher61
Jun 01 2006, 12:42 AM
BV map and details (http://www.kcfdc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=707)

atxdiscgolfer
Mar 08 2007, 07:01 PM
any news on this years yet?

eupher61
Mar 08 2007, 11:30 PM
KC Flying Disc Club (http://www.kcfdc.org) and click on Discussion, see the 2006 thread, there's some info there.