Schoenhopper
Jan 08 2006, 03:42 AM
I played my home course, Herman Hill Park in Wichita, KS, today from the short pads to the short pins.

It is amazing how an expertly designed par 3 course (SSA 50) becomes even more fun to play when you simply "skip a hole."

When we played like this, I tried to keep track of what seemed to be a reasonable pro par for each of these holes. There were two Par 2's (shortcut holes of 120' or less), two Par 3's, seven Par 4's, seven Par 5's. Pro par 73 that played more like 70.

Looking at the same course from the long pads to the long pins with would yield one Par 2, two Par 3's, four Par 4's, nine Par 5's, and two Par 6's. Pro par 79 that would play even more difficult in the summer foliage.

Despite how long the holes were that we played today, the long arm didn't win. I was playing long and accurate drives with good second shots. My approaches were off the mark, however, and my putting was poor. I was beat by 7 strokes even though I was better after 2 shots on most of the holes.

Par 70 disc golf encorporates every part of the game. This is where we need to go. :cool:

xterramatt
Jan 08 2006, 02:21 PM
so, wuld you play short 1 tee to short 2 basket, short 3 to short 4 basket, etc. making a front 9 that starts on the odds and ends on the evens. Then play from 18 short to 1 short, and play a back loop with evens to odds?

Just trying to figure it out.

Jan 08 2006, 05:57 PM
we play skip-******* about once a month at war memorial park here in Ponca.

Schoenhopper
Jan 08 2006, 11:23 PM
so, wuld you play short 1 tee to short 2 basket, short 3 to short 4 basket, etc. making a front 9 that starts on the odds and ends on the evens. Then play from 18 short to 1 short, and play a back loop with evens to odds?

Yup. That's the way ya do it. Anyone else have a course that works out for a real good skip-******* course?

Parkntwoputt
Jan 08 2006, 11:42 PM

Yup. That's the way ya do it. Anyone else have a course that works out for a real good skip-******* course?

Yeah, we have to play that format, but we will take it from 18's basket to #3's pin which will play about 1500ft long and wind up and down two small groves.

gnduke
Jan 09 2006, 02:51 AM
I always called that hop-scotch. Makes for some new and interesting lines on many courses.

my_hero
Jan 09 2006, 09:34 AM
Try your course backwards! It's a lot of fun.

Use a level area near 18's basket for your tee and play to 17's pin. Then play from a level tee area near 17's basket and throw to 16's pin. Do this all the way until you play from 1's basket to 18's basket.....preferably on a noncrowded day. :)

gnduke
Jan 09 2006, 11:36 AM

Use a level area near 18's basket for your tee and play to 17's pin. Then play from a level tee area near 17's basket and throw to 16's pin. Do this all the way until you play from 1's basket to 18's basket.....preferably on a noncrowded day. :)

No, I want to do it on a crowded day, preferably with 8-12 players in one group while a tournament's going on. :eek:

my_hero
Jan 09 2006, 12:20 PM
Cedar Hill's Coyote course would have some MESSED up, yet FUN holes, if it were played backwards.

gotcha
Apr 12 2006, 04:46 PM
I used to practice at Johnson Street in High Point, NC by starting from hole 1's tee and finishing on 18's basket. Using only the fairways and the walking paths between holes, I basically turned the entire 18 hole course into one really long hole! The variety of shots was amazing...many of which never came into play when playing the individual holes. My personal record for that one hole layout...42 strokes. :D

bruce_brakel
Apr 12 2006, 07:52 PM

The Beast and Goliath are designed this way in Ludington. 18 baskets but two different courses, one going more or less clockwise and the other counter-clockwise.

Years ago we used to play Firefighters backwards.
Tee ---> Basket
1 ---> 17
18 ---> 16
17 ---> 15
16 ---> 14
15 ---> 13
etc.

On some holes you are playing a fairway backwards and some you are just going all over the place.

At Squirrel [Auburn Hills Civic Center], a par 2 course, we make it a good course by playing "+4/-5."

t--->b
1--->5
6--->1
2--->6
7--->2
3--->7
8--->3
4--->8
9--->4
5--->9

I've thought it would be cool to intentionally design a 24 hole or 27 hole par 3 course so that by bagging some of the baskets you could create an 18 hole championship course. Somebody take that idea and call it your own.

eupher61
Apr 13 2006, 01:23 AM
Our KCFDC New Year's tradition, when anyone actually takes the trouble to organize it, is to play Rosedale top course backwards, then Down Under forward. It started off to be Back It Out, and Roll It In (forward all rollers or UD). For some reason the Roll It In became Down Under, which is fun but doesn't fit the party scenario as much. This year, it was screwy with the holiday weekend, and only a handful of people participated.
We've played Blue Valley backwards, unfortunately on one of the hottest days of last year. Funny how some monster holes become kittens, and others even bigger monsters.
It's actually a great way to really learn a course, from both playing and design standpoint.

magilla
Apr 13 2006, 01:09 PM
Ammon Ranch, in NorCal (Humboldt Co) designed by the Par Infinity club, plays Forward (par 66) and Backward (par 67)

As played in the '04 & '05 Buddha Tree Open.......... :D

Its an object course most of the time, but when baskets are brought in.......it rivals ANY course in beauty and diversity... :D

space76
Apr 14 2006, 09:41 AM

Gonna have to try that at Lewisville Lake park, sounds interesting.

space76
Apr 14 2006, 04:26 PM
And it sure enough was interesting. 6 up the 1st time and 7 up the 2nd. My putter was broken. :D

doot
Sep 22 2006, 02:26 PM
Edit: Hero read my mind (a few months before my thought, go figure..)

Over the summer I played my home course (Campgaw DGC - Mahwah, NJ) backwards..this means I stand at hole 18's basket, and shoot to 17's basket. 17's basket to 16, etc..from 1's basket play back to 18..

While one must exercise caution not using teepads, it was quite fun.

What was most interesting is noticing the typography of the land and views of the area from a different perspective. Playing a course dozens of time, one takes for granted the land you're using..playing the course backwards, you're looking at the land you've had your back to dozens of times before..Try it sometime!