chrispfrisbee
Jan 05 2006, 09:17 PM
We just installed a new course here in Norman, Oklahoma (Griffin Park DGC) One of the biggest problems we have had so far is casual players BREAKING, SAWING, and BENDING branches, tree limbs and small diameter trees. We took these objects into consideration as obstacles in the original design.

It was supposed to reward good shots and punish bad ones. Apparently, if there is an obstacle blocking a birdie attempt, within days, it will be cut down.

Frustrating!! Any advice out there?

Parkntwoputt
Jan 05 2006, 11:30 PM
I am surprised that even the local casual players are not aware of the purpose of the change in design of holes.

We have the same problem when removing old placements, adding new ones, or even creating a safety mando. Casual players still do not abide by them. Your best bet is to talk to them and explain what you are trying to do, and also recommend a course that is easier and that will not be used for worlds.

I recently witnessed a neighboorhood kid take a hammer to a sleeve and bend in the edges. Now we have to take it out and hope the other side is still good, or else it is scrap metal.

hitec100
Jan 06 2006, 12:16 AM
We just installed a new course here in Norman, Oklahoma (Griffin Park DGC) One of the biggest problems we have had so far is casual players BREAKING, SAWING, and BENDING branches, tree limbs and small diameter trees. We took these objects into consideration as obstacles in the original design.

It was supposed to reward good shots and punish bad ones. Apparently, if there is an obstacle blocking a birdie attempt, within days, it will be cut down.

Frustrating!! Any advice out there?

If you have room, maybe you can put a second teepad on the hole where the trees are not an obstacle. Mark it the blue tee or something.

(And if you want to be real industrious, turn the blue tee into a trap door to catch the casual players who don't like trees...)

I know it's more work, and it's no guarantee, but maybe a second tee pad will help?

My only other thought is to put stake around the trees, or tie a bright ribbon around the trunk and mark "Protected tree" on it, to make people think twice about doing anything to it.

Okay, last thought: if you diagram the hole at the teepad, you could mark out the tree(s) that are part of the hole design specifically on the diagram, letting people know the placement of trees is intentional.

ck34
Jan 06 2006, 12:26 PM
It's wishful thinking that smaller trees won't be bent or broken. So, better to take them out and not rely on them in the design. I'd like to get a commitment from some Park Dept someday that they will agree to install a steel pole in the exact spot each tree gets vandalized so the vandals won't win and it might possibly stop the behavior on that course.

bruce_brakel
Jan 06 2006, 12:42 PM
You could try hiding in the woods with baseball bats. Otherwise there is no remedy for the general problem that the planet is populated mostly by ignorami.

chrispfrisbee
Jan 06 2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I'd love to be out there when someone is in the act of breaking so I could let them know.

LouMoreno
Jan 06 2006, 02:23 PM
Chris,
Waterloo DGC has posted THESE (http://www.austindiscgolf.org/Graphics/Misc/stop.pdf) at the Austin courses with bulletin boards. I don't know if the PDGA is still producing these but we're still using it. :)

It might help.

klemrock
Jan 06 2006, 05:09 PM
Yep, we have one of those flyers at my home course as well. :)

In my experience though, making it a personal thing seems somewhat effective.
By that I mean that all experienced players (at least local club members) need to take the time during casual rounds to:
- watch for abuse
- immediately intervene if abuse is witnessed
- talk to unfamiliar/casual players in a positive manner
(DO NOT say things like "If we ever see anyone breaking a branch, we'll kick their [I'm a potty-mouth!]!")
(DO say things which let them know there are many players who care about the course and who work hard at improving it)

Proactively planting seeds of positive info will not stop all vandalism, but it will be better than negative threats!

chrispfrisbee
Jan 09 2006, 01:28 PM
Good call.

bslamoreaux
Jan 09 2006, 04:07 PM
By that I mean that all experienced players (at least local club members) need to take the time during casual rounds to:
- watch for abuse
- immediately intervene if abuse is witnessed
- talk to unfamiliar/casual players in a positive manner
(DO NOT say things like "If we ever see anyone breaking a branch, we'll kick their [I'm a potty-mouth!]!")
(DO say things which let them know there are many players who care about the course and who work hard at improving it)

Proactively planting seeds of positive info will not stop all vandalism, but it will be better than negative threats!

That is perfectly put. I had that same discussion with some people in Cedar Hill yesterday.