discraft_elite
Oct 27 2005, 07:43 PM
What would be the case when you go to tap out, swing and miss the chains. You didn't physicall release the disc [so it's not a throw], but you did make an attempt to make it in [ same goal as a throw]. Just came up on the course today and was wondering what you Rule Guru's had to say about it.

Oct 27 2005, 07:50 PM
I am by no means a rule guru, but I believe the disc has to leave the hand and come to rest in the basket or chains to count as finishing out the hole.

pterodactyl
Oct 27 2005, 08:01 PM
There are no supid questions, only supid people asking questions! :D Kidding...sounds like equipment abuse. Slapping the chains isn't attempting a shot.

idahojon
Oct 27 2005, 08:03 PM
"Tapping out" is NOT holing out. Follow the rules and you won't "miss the chains."

discraft_elite
Oct 27 2005, 08:28 PM
There are no supid questions, only supid people asking questions!

at least the stupid people asking the questions know how to spell stupid :cool:

ck34
Oct 27 2005, 08:42 PM
Since slapping the chains isn't considered holing out in PDGA Rules, you're playing by your own rules. I think you have to answer the question whether a swing and miss is holing out within your rules.

discraft_elite
Oct 27 2005, 09:16 PM
Alright, that makes sense. We usually play by an altered set of rules for rec anyways. I carry a rulebook with me in my bag, and when a legitimate question comes up, we are able to look it up. It's important to know the rules cuz we do strictly adhere to them in League and Tourney's where $'s on the line. Otherwise it's more of a relaxed playing style.

Example:
Official rules state if it lands on top, it doesn't count.
Rec Rules: If you're smooth enough to get it on top of the basket, we'll give it to you for the cool factor. It's harder to get it on top, then in, so we'll let it slide.

pterodactyl
Oct 28 2005, 12:51 AM
There are no supid questions, only supid people asking questions!

at least the stupid people asking the questions know how to spell stupid :cool:

Who said anything about "stupid"? I was merely quoting the original post. :)

discraft_elite
Oct 28 2005, 03:40 AM
you caught me... i succeed. Probably too much of the beverage quoted in my signature

pterodactyl
Oct 28 2005, 11:26 AM
Funny signature even tho I don't drink any beers from Misery!

discraft_elite
Oct 28 2005, 06:43 PM
they come out of Colorado as well :p. Either way, i think we resolved the original q? this tread was about... Thanks guys!

quickdisc
Oct 30 2005, 06:32 PM
What would be the case when you go to tap out, swing and miss the chains. You didn't physicall release the disc [so it's not a throw], but you did make an attempt to make it in [ same goal as a throw]. Just came up on the course today and was wondering what you Rule Guru's had to say about it.

Rules state , release the disc , into the basket , even from 1 foot away or less. Mark it , drop it in. No chain slapping.