Oct 13 2005, 08:38 PM
<font color="green"> </font> Hi,

I have been playing for a little over a year now and I am having a major problem. I can drive around 350 ft on my best drives, but my problem is consistency. For long drives I'm usually using a champion Orc with a forehand throw. I usually attempt a relatively straight drive with an S turn in the middle.

The problem I'm having is that a lot of the times when I drive, my disc will immediately go anhyzer after it comes out of my hand, hit the ground 100ft or less in front of me, then just roll sideways. To compensate for this problem I have been holding the disc at a hyzer style angle before I throw. This will sometimes yield just the right amount of anhyzer that I want for my S turn, but many times it will either hold hyzer and just die to right, or still go anhyzer too dramatically and hit the ground. I read somewhere that discs have a certain max speed that they should be thrown at. Am I trying to throw it too hard/fast? What is the correct angle to hold the disc at for a long S turn drive?

Note: I'm usually trying for a max height during flight of about 15-20 ft in the air.

Any comments/feedback are appreciated, I hope everyone understands the description I have given of my throws, if not let me know... Thanks. <font color="green"> </font>

Oct 13 2005, 10:15 PM
I have the same problem only opposite. im inconsistent because i sometimes release hyzer. i beleive this discussion will help me as well

tafe
Oct 13 2005, 10:46 PM
Do your discs have flutter?
And, what are you throwing?

Oct 13 2005, 11:54 PM
The problem I'm having is that a lot of the times when I drive, my disc will immediately go anhyzer after it comes out of my hand, hit the ground 100ft or less in front of me, then just roll sideways

2 things: wrist roll and armspeed vs snap speed.

when you throw you have to be carefull to keep your wrist straight. pay attention to your hands/wrists orientation when you hold the disc before a throw, with the disc flat and level. try a few practice drives without actually releasing the disc before you drive. concentrate on keeping the disc flat and your wrist sideways throughout your whole follow through. your wrist should not rotate. it sould only snap in the direction of your throw.

next, focus on your power. when i try to drive really hard forehand i can get the same problem. i focus on throwing hard rather than getting a good snap. its all in the wrist. not your arm.

i think the best way to correct this is just to practice throwing at half speed,and really focus on your wrist and the snap. when it comes to actuall drives, try throwing at 80% of the power you were using before.

its possible that this could happen if your using understable discs, but i hate saying that because if you try overstable discs, they could make you think youve fixed your form, when all you did was complensate for it with overstablilty. id say stick to a good stable driver like a Teebird, or ZXL for now. at lest untill you get this down.

HTH,
- Jared

Oct 14 2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the input garcia, I have been using champion Orc and Pro Wraith lately. I'll definitely try concentrating on throwing it as flat as I can and try the limited power thing too, thanks again.