Oct 12 2005, 04:29 AM
for an 8 year old that has only been playing for around 3 weeks?

paerley
Oct 12 2005, 04:39 AM
150-165 puts most 300 foot holes into the 3-4 range, which is great for an 8 year old, and really anyone who just picked up a disc for the first time.

bruce_brakel
Oct 12 2005, 09:58 AM

My wife and I have been teaching kids to play disc golf for five or six years. Yes, that is a very good start.

Oct 12 2005, 11:21 AM
Getting the disc out of your hand in the right direction is a great start. :D

seriously, every person who i have gotten into disc golf has taken at least a month to get that far. these are young adults too, so id say your wayy ahead of the game.

MTL21676
Oct 13 2005, 12:23 AM

Yes

for an 18 year old that has only been playing for around 3 weeks?

No

rangel
Oct 13 2005, 05:20 PM
Yes.

From the WFDF (World Flying Disc Federation). The distance records for 8 and under is 69.0m (225'). 165' is roughly 75% of 225'. This is really good.

Don't burn him (or her) out, but try and get the disc flat off the release. The juniors we've seen here seem to get the best results from throwing flat shots.

And PUTTING :D

Oct 21 2005, 07:20 AM
Is he throwing backhand or sidearm? I've noticed a lot of little kids start out with a sidearm. I have a 10 year old and a 12 year old nephew who both sidearm 200. I've taught them a backhand, but they just can't seem to get them as far (and yes I have them throwing understable 150 class stuff).

Oct 21 2005, 08:16 AM
Is he throwing backhand or sidearm? I've noticed a lot of little kids start out with a sidearm. I have a 10 year old and a 12 year old nephew who both sidearm 200. I've taught them a backhand, but they just can't seem to get them as far (and yes I have them throwing understable 150 class stuff).

He throws his longer drives sidearm, and backhand for every other throw. He got one out there about 225' last weekend.

What is it with these young kids being able to putt so well?

rangel
Oct 21 2005, 12:00 PM
Sounds like a couple of you are right behind me....or rather....your sons are right behind my son. So here goes.

My soon to be 12 year old started as a baseball pitcher. He pitched five innings in a tournament game at the age of six. Yours probably played either baseball, basketball or football....doesn't really matter....because they are more comfortable throwing things "overhand".

At this point, his forehand drives are out past 280'. His discs are overtable. XLs are too flat. Flash and Crush work best. Avenger is coming in. His CFR Wraith is still a mystery. This is his ladder. Your kids will have their own ladder. As they get stronger and more coordinated, they will want to ALMOST tomahawk their drives. They (and YOU) will need some patience to keep the proper disc at the proper angle. My son can NOT throw a XL and Avenger on the same line. He's getting to the point where he can't throw an XL period. There will be strange days when you can't explain what they are doing. It's not your world, so don't worry. When they can't seem to keep the disc from going left (RhFh), it MIGHT be time to climb the ladder.

While they are climbing one ladder with the forehand, they will need an entirely different ladder backhand. If you are familiar with Blake's Universal flight chart, everything my son throws forehand is a power rating of 4 or 5. His backhand discs (today) have a power rating of 1 or 2. His best backhand throws for distance come with a MRV or a Cobra (out between 170' and 190'). His attempts to throw even a light 155 Valk look awkward and tail too quickly. The MRVs look smooth, fly level and just tail at the end. Since they are used to throwing forehand with an anhyzer angle, don't be too surprised when they throw anny's backhand. When they get frustrated about going to the right ALL the time....then show them a flat release.

Bottom line. Call me crazy, but let them throw the forehand. Let them explore what is out there. Soon enough, they will see ALL the adults throw backhand drives. It will be easy enough for them to experiment while they continue to crank of the forehand bombs.

Last topic. tommy's. Give them an uderstable 150 and let it rip. This might be their best time to learn and they might really like a true "overhand" shot.

It's all good.

Oct 21 2005, 12:46 PM
I think this is probably an amazing drive for an 8 year old. Got a future World Champion there I think :)

Oct 21 2005, 02:40 PM
Waggle Mr Spoon, Barney the Dinosaur! Waggle Mr Spoon like a tall nickel!

Oct 22 2005, 02:54 AM
Waggle Mr Spoon, Barney the Dinosaur! Waggle Mr Spoon like a tall nickel!

Mom?

quickdisc
Feb 05 2006, 06:31 PM

:D for little kids and those just starting out.

For a Pro .........................you may receive this . http://www.panthersplanet.net/style_emoticons/default/thumbsdown.gif

Parkntwoputt
Feb 05 2006, 09:34 PM

:D for little kids and those just starting out.

For a Pro .........................you may receive this . http://www.panthersplanet.net/style_emoticons/default/thumbsdown.gif

Unless the hole is 158ft long.