TravisGrindle12
Sep 28 2005, 04:18 PM
With some of the graphics being palced on discs do you believe that the PDGA needs to have a standard about what can be seen on discs used in tournament play?

Should a TD have the authority to tell someone that a certain disc cannot be used because of its graphic content.

Some of the things I have seen recently placed on discs I for one believe encourage the typical stereotype of disc golf while others I believe promote new negative views.

What do people think?

Sep 28 2005, 04:34 PM
Sounds like more censorship. The PDGA should love it!!!! :D:D

krazyeye
Sep 28 2005, 04:35 PM
In a word, no.

nix
Sep 28 2005, 04:36 PM
I think we need a rule on how long someones user name is so everytime they post it doesnt mess up the entire lay out of the discussion board.

spartan
Sep 28 2005, 04:44 PM
http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/blog/images/comicbookguy.png

http://worst_thread_ever..

james_mccaine
Sep 28 2005, 04:48 PM
Post deleted by James McCaine

james_mccaine
Sep 28 2005, 04:48 PM
while others I believe promote new negative views

Did you see Vinnie's Red Raider disc or something? ;)

Seriously, I say let everything go and let the parents use a V chip while their kids watch disc golf on ESPN. I'm having trouble imagining what is so offensive, so I'm probably underestimating the issue, but whatever image a disc portrays reflects more on the owner than it does on the sport.

Sep 28 2005, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to it, as long as they don't take it too far. I'm not that opposed to drug refrences as much as 4 letter words. A good friend of mine takes his kids that are 11 and 6 out to the course all the time, and they've picked up on what a few discs say on them.

I don't know if it should really be a rule, but should definitely be discouraged

Sep 28 2005, 05:07 PM
next we can read the competions minds and.....

rhett
Sep 28 2005, 05:26 PM
A good friend of mine takes his kids that are 11 and 6 out to the course all the time, and they've picked up on what a few discs say on them.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner.

People should think about this statement whenever they are arguing against 804.05 enforcement.

jeffash
Sep 28 2005, 05:39 PM
Post deleted by James McCaine

I just felt this was worthy of qouting :D

TravisGrindle12
Sep 28 2005, 05:40 PM

but whatever image a disc portrays reflects more on the owner than it does on the sport.

This is true. I have seen some graphic images of naked ladies recently, ( more than what you think) some four letter words, and other things.

It just has me thinking whats to stop someone from haveing racial statements, violent acts, etc on them. And is that something you want a potential sponsor seeing. And I know that its not the reflection i want to have on our sport

Sep 28 2005, 06:04 PM

but whatever image a disc portrays reflects more on the owner than it does on the sport.

This is true. I have seen some graphic images of naked ladies recently, ( more than what you think) some four letter words, and other things.

It just has me thinking whats to stop someone from haveing racial statements, violent acts, etc on them. And is that something you want a potential sponsor seeing. And I know that its not the reflection i want to have on our sport

<font color="red"> roflmao run for the hills... it is armegedon</font>

WVOmorningwood
Sep 28 2005, 06:24 PM
Innova already does..we had a slightly risque design rejected by them...so we had Whamo make them!

This was the dinner plate design for the "year of the Woman"
some of you may be familiar with the graphic.

krazyeye
Sep 28 2005, 06:59 PM
I take my 16 and 4 year old daughters to the course and trust me there are much worse things you need to be worried about. You may just not need the PDGA to handle the problems and handle them yourself. Walk softly etcetera, etc.

Pizza God
Sep 28 2005, 07:02 PM
The problem is where do you draw the line. I can understand drug references, as in pot leaves on discs.

accidentalROLLER
Sep 28 2005, 07:29 PM
I can just see it now, I bet the one time disc golf makes it on ESPN's sportscenter, they'll show somebody acing at like PDGA Worlds and they will zoom in on the disc and see a dyed picture of a naked woman smoking a joint, beating a midget who is fuking a dog or something like that. Then disc golf will NEVER be shown on cable television ever again.

krazyeye
Sep 28 2005, 07:37 PM
^^^^^^^^^funny^^^^^^^^^^

Sep 28 2005, 07:40 PM
I can just see it now, I bet the one time disc golf makes it on ESPN's sportscenter, they'll show somebody acing at like PDGA Worlds and they will zoom in on the disc and see a dyed picture of a naked woman smoking a joint, beating a midget who is fuking a dog or something like that. Then disc golf will NEVER be shown on cable television ever again.

That'd be the best picture ever..I wouldn't put it on a disc, but i would use it as an avatar

Sep 28 2005, 07:42 PM
The utmost important question is why would you ask someone else to make this decision upon where to draw the line. I say let the person throwing the disc be the one that decides what is ok for him/her to throw publicly.

Why can society not think for itself anymore? :confused:

"Oh.......Hes a meany man,..he has bad things on his disc, whine whine whine, where my clan for the witch hunt!!!!!"

accidentalROLLER
Sep 28 2005, 07:44 PM
People are too stupid to think for themselves. That's why we have the goverment telling us what to do, News to tell us what to think, Religion to tell us how to act, and MTV to tell us what's important and what to wear.

sandalman
Sep 28 2005, 08:09 PM

i wish i could draw!

rhett
Sep 28 2005, 08:12 PM

That's pretty close to what the rumor mill says actually happened once when ESPN showed up for some event.

Sep 28 2005, 10:03 PM
when ESPN showed up for some event

Which event was that?

The Fantasy Island Open ?? :D

I guess if / when an event gets televised then it would be a good idea but until then I don't see it as a problem.
If you're out playing & there are children around, then use a little common sense & throw something other than your naked lady smoking crack with a dog disc. lol :D

TravisGrindle12
Sep 28 2005, 10:30 PM
when ESPN showed up for some event

Which event was that?

The Fantasy Island Open ?? :D

I guess if / when an event gets televised then it would be a good idea but until then I don't see it as a problem.
If you're out playing & there are children around, then use a little common sense & throw something other than your naked lady smoking crack with a dog disc. lol :D

If everyone had common sense this would not be an issue.
And I am only talking tournaments, if someone wants to throw discs described in past post thats fine with me. I would probably not hang with them anyway. I also have never seen these thrown in pdga play, i was just trying to have a lively conversation.

justin_jernigan
Sep 28 2005, 10:39 PM
I think we need a rule on how long someones user name is so everytime they post it doesnt mess up the entire lay out of the discussion board.

I think we need a rule to ban some of these smarta$$ comments.

Sep 28 2005, 10:47 PM
I say we ban the ones that like to cuss using symbols thinking they are above following the PDGA rules of not using foul language. We are talking about the censorship of discs and yet you bash one while braking a rule yourself.

Let your intelligence be as great as your performance on the course Justin.

TravisGrindle12
Sep 28 2005, 10:57 PM
I say we ban the ones that like to cuss using symbols thinking they are above following the PDGA rules of not using foul language. We are talking about the censorship of discs and yet you bash one while braking a rule yourself.

Let your intelligence be as great as your performance on the course Justin.

Actually I am talking about is what is proper and not proper for sactioned tournament play.

Valarie24
Sep 28 2005, 11:03 PM
calm down kids

TravisGrindle12
Sep 28 2005, 11:05 PM
calm down kids

mmm there again Val comments right after Jigga.

rhett
Sep 28 2005, 11:07 PM

Once upon a time....a long time ago......someone said that ESPN showed up at a tourney somewhere.....and decided to pack up their cameras and go home....and they haven't been back.

I wasn't there, but I heard it from someone.

But if we really wanted to be on TV, we would really try to be "TV Friendly" at our big events. Just in case anyone showed up to actually put us on TV.

If we really wanted disc golf to be on TV.

A lot of people here don't.

I'd like to see it, but it won't kill me if it never happens. And my concerns about illegal activities on the course are all about me not wanting to be in the middle of illegal activites and have nothing to do with getting disc golf on TV.

rhett
Sep 28 2005, 11:07 PM
mmm there again Val comments right after Jigga.

Hey! I noticed that this time! :)

TravisGrindle12
Sep 28 2005, 11:10 PM
I'd like to see it, but it won't kill me if it never happens. And my concerns about illegal activities on the course are all about me not wanting to be in the middle of illegal activites and have nothing to do with getting disc golf on TV.

[/QUOTE]

Here Here Rhett.

Valarie24
Sep 28 2005, 11:13 PM
whatever guys...... :D

justin_jernigan
Sep 28 2005, 11:17 PM
yea whatever :D

Sep 28 2005, 11:35 PM
I'm sorta drifting off topic, but I'd love to see a televised event.

I admit I am new to the sport & have no historical knowledge of past events, but if something that big came along, I'd assume they (pdga) would do it right.

Fantasy Island Open... Come on' That's gold baby. GOLD!! :D

P.S. Glad to see Val was nominated in the Best looking player thread. ;) Too bad I'm old enough to be um. her older brother. lol.

Back on topic..............v v v v v v

quickdisc
Sep 29 2005, 12:29 AM
Disc Golf Survivor !!!!!! They have 24 people , on a Island , that Hate each other, and each one thinks they have better game than the rest !!!!!!! They try forming Alliances.

They have to gain Immunity by winning putting games with the Tiki's , placed strategically around the Island , some on Fire , some surrounded by Alligators , some completely surrounded by water and Natives with spears !!!!!!! :eek:

MTL21676
Sep 29 2005, 01:27 AM
bottom line - a disc (or clothing for that matter) with any type of drug or sexual reference should be banned from PDGA play.

We already have a bad rep and random stupid hippie morons who think its cool to have a weed leave on a disc doesn't help us

Pizza God
Sep 29 2005, 03:11 AM
I wanted to have one of those shirt for Am worlds several years ago that said "[I'm a potty-mouth!] you, I'm from Texas" but I didn't get one.

Now that shirt would not be allowed at a Major event. (I was going to where it when practicing)

I was not sure what to do with a lost and found disc last year that had a pot leaf on it. I was not going to take that one home and I kinda kept it hidden till it was claimed.

(at least that was not as bad as the time someone left there disc golf back at HQ. When we were packing up, we found the bag, when checking for a name I found a baggie in the bag. Luckly for him, someone took the bag back to him, I was going to toss the baggie away and only take the discs and golf bag back to him.)

LouMoreno
Sep 29 2005, 12:44 PM
Leave the stupid hippie Mormons out of this. :D

rhett
Sep 29 2005, 04:42 PM
(at least that was not as bad as the time someone left there disc golf <font color="blue"> bag </font> at HQ. When we were packing up, we found the bag, when checking for a name I found a baggie in the bag.

Hey, that happened to you too? I have had that experience as a TD also.

quickdisc
Sep 29 2005, 07:58 PM
I found a glass bubbler pipe , with the guys name on it !!!!!! :eek:

I gave it back to him and he gave me two discs , brand new , with no name on them :eek:

Sep 29 2005, 11:37 PM
Prime Time Disc Golf coverage on ESPN .... it's not gonna happen. It would be great for the sport, but they are not gonna show up.

If we want press coverage, start on the local level. Local news and papers.

However, just to throw gass on the fire.... I think we should embrace the hippy p0t smoker image. I think we should advertise in Relix magazine, and High Times. We should stand out as the sport for the occasionally fubar. Name one other sport that you can be competative at while high and drinking a beer. And in real life there are a lot more of those players than there are professional atheletes.

(This post is meant to cause turmoil and debate, and does not reflect the true opinions of the poster... just wanta play devils advocate.)

I don't know what your home course is like but at my favorite course, there are homeless people sleeping in a ditch nearby, several bottles of mouthwash in a pile next to them. there is prostitution and gang grafitti, it's also a hot spot for the local gays to pick each other up. I do not recommend sandals at this course because I have seen needles in the grass there. A little p0t smoke is the least of the problems at this park.

MTL21676
Sep 30 2005, 12:30 AM
If anyone ever starts a thread for the absolutle worst ideas they ever heard about disc golf, I know where to send them to find an answer now.

krazyeye
Sep 30 2005, 12:57 AM
Those issues are not disc golf issues. They are problems with society. Build a course outside the ghetto.

Sep 30 2005, 03:10 AM
If anyone ever starts a thread for the absolutle worst ideas they ever heard about disc golf, I know where to send them to find an answer now.

Which bad idea.... PDGA rule about graphics on discs, or promoting it as a party sport? Little of both? :confused: :cool:

MTL21676
Sep 30 2005, 11:16 AM
If you have to ask, then that's even sadder.

Sep 30 2005, 11:48 AM
We need to call it "Xtreme Disc Golf".
ESPN would pick up on it for sure. :cool:

jeffash
Sep 30 2005, 01:36 PM
You guys are all forgetting that ESPN did cover disc golf- Arkansas Style.
On a show called "Destination Outdoors" they showed about five minutes of disc golf footage.
They called it "Folf". They showed several of us putting, throwing, and the "flip" before our mini began.
They showed footage of me throwing a Comet well over 600 feet.
I believe it aired in March, 2003.
The only graphics shown on air were Brainwaves. :D

rhett
Sep 30 2005, 01:59 PM
Geat job on that, Jeff. We need more success stories like that one to go with the others we have where the camera crews go out and witness well-played disc golf as a sport. You don't just jump to prime time coverage from nowhere, you slowly creep along until you get a good break. The more "sport" coverage in the bank and the less "duuuude in the woods" stories, the better the chance of getting a shot for something like USDGC or Worlds down the road.

Sep 30 2005, 06:15 PM
Yes, I have to ask. If you re-read my post, maybe you can see that I was being Highly Ironic ... trying to show one bad idea by contrasting it with another bad idea.

However, the original post was quite serious. A rule outlawing what an individual can put on his or her own discs.

I think that is the stupid idea, and it was the one that was completely serious. So yes, I do have to ask.

MTL21676
Sep 30 2005, 06:59 PM
I was just talking about the advertising the bad about disc golf.

Think about what baseball is going through with steriods....

Personally, I do not smoke weed, which makes me a minority in disc golf. However, I am not opposed to it. I think that weed is a natural substance and I would much rather get a car with someone on weed as apposed to any other drug (including alcohol).

However, Weed is illegal and against the bi-laws of the PDGA. And someone smoking in a PDGA tournament is cheating - because they are breaking the rules. Pencing whipping, moving your lie, smoking weed, its all the same - they are all actions that are against the rules.

Therefore, promoting illegal and PDGA rule breaking actions should not be allowed.

I am also religous, also putting me in a minority in disc golf. I think it's really funny that people don't want to mix religion and disc golf, yet want to mix illegal activities and disc golf. Now I'm not one of the guys who goes out and says "I'm a christian, you should be too....etc" If someone ever asks me about my faith or wanted to talk about where they are with God, then I would be glad to listen. But I do not think that religion and disc golf should be combined either.

I can totally understand someone being offended if the TD asked for a prayer before a tournament to the same level if I saw someone wearing / throwing something with a drug reference on it.

rhett
Sep 30 2005, 07:25 PM
Nice post, mtl.

Sep 30 2005, 08:47 PM
Nice post, mtl.

Agreed and understood. I also wanted you to fully understand that I was being ironic, not serious and did not want you to think I was a really big [I'm a potty-mouth!].

I respect your views and your opinions regarding both religion and illegal activites. So, I hope we are cool.

MTL21676
Sep 30 2005, 09:10 PM
i hear ya - and trust me - I will never have beef with anyone on the message board over an opinion

Sep 30 2005, 10:23 PM
what the hell are u taking about? weed, jesus, and the evils of earth. have u tryed ganja? it mite calm your ***** down :)

what u have on your disc graphicly is like freedom of speech, but don't put the pink panty picture on your disc.
some people advertise weed, and they will get theirs.

krazyeye
Oct 01 2005, 12:41 AM
^^^^^^^Least understandable post not written by Reese^^^^^

TravisGrindle12
Oct 03 2005, 06:26 PM
MTL's best post ever!!!

justin_jernigan
Oct 03 2005, 06:27 PM
it mite calm your ***** down :)

Be carefull using dollar signs, Grunion might have a hissy fit.

MTL21676
Oct 03 2005, 06:30 PM
MTL's best post ever!!!

every post of mine is tied for first in the "MTL's best post ever contest"

justin_jernigan
Oct 03 2005, 06:31 PM
Many Trees Left

Snapshot25999
Nov 07 2005, 11:39 PM
your a mullet

homey
Nov 08 2005, 04:15 PM
I have put graphics on all my Disc! Nothing offensive, but someone could say the monster on my monster was a demon or pegan symbol, but they might say that about your Toyota emblem too. (some people?) Do I want someone telling me what I can and can't put on something I paid for being used in a tournament I paid for? NO! I want to protect Disc Golf and it's image as much as the next person...Next thing you know we'll ban Plaid Pants or worst halter tops! "JUST SAY NO!" You've seen the extreme views already around here, lets take a break and have some fun! Anyone up for a round?

my_hero
Nov 08 2005, 04:24 PM

That'd be the best picture ever..I wouldn't put it on a disc, but i would use it as an avatar

Oh no.....i gotta have that hot stamp!

....and just for the record. I'm in the works of getting the permission of the artist who created my avatar b/c i want it in SuperColor on ALL of My_Discs! :D

my_hero
Nov 08 2005, 04:41 PM

Once upon a time....a long time ago......someone said that ESPN showed up at a tourney somewhere.....and decided to pack up their cameras and go home....and they haven't been back.

I wasn't there, but I heard it from someone.

But if we really wanted to be on TV, we would really try to be "TV Friendly" at our big events. Just in case anyone showed up to actually put us on TV.

If we really wanted disc golf to be on TV.

A lot of people here don't.

I've heard of this story from some of the games most respected players. Must be true. :D

Sadly, we are not ready to be televised. Some of our sport's best "professionals" can't even act professional. I can think of 3 or 4 events within the last 2 years that would have been sad to see if it were televised. Remember the Rico/Russell event at Worlds, or CamTodd/Gallery in Columbus just to name a few? There's plenty more. Sorry, but we're not ready....... :confused:

seewhere
Nov 08 2005, 05:26 PM
how about the boobs mccoy issue just last week. :confused:

cbdiscpimp
Nov 08 2005, 05:37 PM

Do tell

LouMoreno
Nov 08 2005, 05:43 PM
I'm still waiting to hear who cheated at Worlds from you. :p

TravisGrindle12
Nov 08 2005, 10:03 PM

man dont throw that out and not explain. Do tell.

seewhere
Nov 08 2005, 10:26 PM
I was not there so I dont have first hand info. I am sure it is all water under the bridge now. :D

TravisGrindle12
Nov 09 2005, 01:03 AM
I was not there so I dont have first hand info. I am sure it is all water under the bridge now. :D

mad respect for not spilling the beans in a public forum ;). Hopefully more people will take your lead. although i am still curious :D