Dick
Sep 25 2005, 08:55 PM
Player x pre-registers. YOU get no phone call or email, but receive a PM the day of the event at 10AM ( 1 hour after start time) that they aren't coming since the previous weeks A tier had a low turnout and they didn't want to play in a small field. Since the person didn't contact me to withdraw prior to start time, I left them in just in case they showed up late. Then at the conclusion of the round i DNF them and leave their fee in the payout.
SO what would you do?

gnduke
Sep 25 2005, 09:10 PM
If the player fails to contact the TD prior to the day of the event, they should not get a refund, but they should receive a full players pack.

Their entry fee be left in the payout for their division, or donated to the charity if it is a charity event. The PDGA and other player fees should be paid as as if they attended.

Dick
Sep 25 2005, 09:37 PM
actually, i would also accept any kind of family emergency etc. as reason for withdrawing without notice. I'm not unreasonable.

gnduke
Sep 26 2005, 12:13 AM
I'm trying to look at this from the players side, and I don't think I would request a refund if I couldn't make it at the last minute. I made a commitment to be there, and the TD held a spot in a potentially full event open for me. He may have turned away other players in case I showed up late.

In the case of a family emergency, I don't know that the TD would be the first person I called.

Dick
Sep 26 2005, 01:42 AM
i am going to send the player their entry fee back out of my own pocket, even though i am not sure it is right. I know i am going to be VERY CLEAR on any future flyers as to the refund policy for my events.

Pizza God
Sep 26 2005, 02:39 AM
If I am contacted by Friday night before the tournament, I will refund there money. I have done it several times. As for those that do no call or contact me, there cash goes to there division.

I had one player pull out the week of the tournament this year and he donated his entry fee to the charity I am sponsoring.

dischick
Sep 26 2005, 04:39 AM
if the player does not contact you before the event, they should not get a refund, but still a players pack since they paid their money. unless there are extenuating circumstances... if they get in an accident on the way to the course, or some other horrible thing happens, then i say have mercy.
it seems to me that you would beable to know if you are or are not going to make it to the event the day before and you took the time to pre reg.
if they slack and dont contact you untill an hour after the tournament starts, then they are sol

imapackerfan
Sep 26 2005, 08:57 AM
You've done enough digging in your pocket already, Dr. Isn't your cell phone number plastered all over the message board and on the tournament flyer itself? A 10am private message doesn't cut the mustard. Especially since "low turnout" was the stated reason- that's not a last minute emergency at all. (Sorry to the player in question, you are probably a friend of mine but I'm taking this stance anyway) If the player could take the time to PM you, he also could have called you- and since it was a pro event with no players package, you don't owe the player anything. Use the entry fee as payout for that division, put it in the acepot, do whatever you want with it- but don't refund the player, and definitely don't refund the player out of your pocket after the fact. My $.02...

my_hero
Sep 26 2005, 09:47 AM
NO refund....no way....especially not out of YOUR OWN pocket.

wilma
Sep 26 2005, 11:13 AM
Rich, you are a nice man!

But, keep your money!

WVOmorningwood
Sep 26 2005, 12:36 PM
WE experienced this situation this year at the WVO..and this was critical because we had a full field two weeks before the tourney...we had tell people on the waiting list that they couldn't sign up becuase the field was full.

On the day of the tournament...we were getting cancellations with refunds expected.

We are making the adjustment on the flyer this year...

We are goignto say that if you haven't cnacelled a week beofre the tournament no refunds will be made...unless you provide a relpacement for spot.

I beleive this is where WE as TD's need to make a policy and spell it out no the tourny flyers, the website...etc.

Simply registering and paying for a tournament is not good enough any more.

sandalman
Sep 26 2005, 01:41 PM
ya barely even need a refund policy spelled out. paying plus no-showing = donation. (in the absence of a true emergency)

johnbiscoe
Sep 26 2005, 03:51 PM
i agree with the ladies from maryland. (except for that packer love thing)

before registration ends i would refund the $, afterwards i would refund the $ for a **** good excuse, low turnout is not a **** good excuse.