Sep 24 2005, 04:44 PM
When I throw I use my index and middle fingers under the lip of the disc. I can throw around 300 ft or so on a good day. I havnt really tried throwing with a power grip but have read alot about it. Would it make a substantial difference if I changed?

Sep 24 2005, 04:55 PM
There's only one real way to find out. Try it.

I'm a total rookie player, but I've always used the 3 finger power grip. (but have tried just about every known grip)
Well, I've been having problems getting good power to the disc so today I started using a 4-finger power grip & noticed an immediate improvement in distance.
I can't put everything on the grip though because when I switched to 4 finger I was cocking my wrist a bit more. So maybe with the extra grip I felt more comfortable moving the wrist?
Practice practice.

Sep 24 2005, 08:32 PM
does something not feel right when you put the other two fingers underneath? i agree with whatsisname above me... try it out.

personally, i use a 4-fingered power grip for everything... even putts and throwing ultimate discs. this is because i have small hands and i can't support the disc in my hand without all those fingers. with really big hands... the opposite could be true... all that finger gettin' in the way.

innova's website has a section that shows a BUNCH of different grips. definitely check it out.

Boneman
Sep 24 2005, 11:21 PM
I use a three finger powergrip for most shots. I can use a 4 finger, but I'm not used to it yet. I have found that with the 4 finger, I can turn over discs that are stable-understable more easily. This can be a very good thing, but takes some practice to get used to. So, that said, the 4 finger is great when you need all the power you can get, but expect to flip some discs ... I still like the 3 finger for turnover shots with a little more power control.

Sep 25 2005, 10:24 AM
The problem with the 4 finger grip for me is that I constantly grip lock.

Sep 25 2005, 12:32 PM
I use a two finger grip for all my distance drives. I mostly hold it with the tips of my fingers... kinda like holding a pencil.

Sep 25 2005, 11:57 PM
Ranger,
Have you tried the power grip. If so what were the flaws for you?

discgolfreview
Sep 30 2005, 01:52 AM
gumbo,

stronger grips nearly always have more potential D.

chronic grip lock sounds like it has to do more with the swing plane than the nature of the grip itself. at least that is consistent with needing a grip that will allow the disc to slide/slip out instead of rip.

davei
Sep 30 2005, 09:30 AM
grip lock can occur when you switch the rip point from index to ring finger. If this happens chronically, you might try switching to the split power/fork grip. Ken Climo uses this grip with a stack. His index finger is a guide and lock rather than a rip. The rip occurs from the middle and ring. backhand grips (http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html#backhand)