dannyreeves
Sep 20 2005, 10:06 PM
I haven't played very many rounds of golf lately but I have practiced a lot. I have a 225' dead straight shot set up with some OB on each side. I think that is one of the hardest shots in the game (straight midrange) and want to practice it a lot.

Anyway, I throw a lot of different mids at it, and I usually putt them as well. I have been getting really good putting Comets and Buzzes. I am especially better from 30-45' and using a mid really helps neutralize the wind factor.

I got out the putters and tried to use them but wasn't having very good results. I know that is mainly due to my lack of practice with them. With no wind, I was fine for 15-25' putts but that was about it.

In the past, even when I was having a good day of putting, I was always a weak wind putter. Today, I took the Comets and putted from all sides with a 15 mph wind today and was very consistant.

If I can make sure I am hitting structure 75-80% of the time I miss, I shouldn't have a problem with comeback putts.

And I am using X and D plastic to minimize spit outs and only had 1 solid putt that spit out of about 40.

Do you all think it would be a good idea to take the putters out for a little while (or just use them for some upshots) and play 10-20 rounds using a Comet for a putter? After all, it isn't much different than an Aero and some great players putt with that.

Sep 20 2005, 10:54 PM
use what ever works for you. If using a mid is helping your game, than do it. It doesn't say anywhere that you cant use a midrange disc to putt, just like using an Aviar to drive with on medium length holes. I did my best putting ever with an original Aviar X-D. I putted with a stiff yellow shark for awhile also and had great success with disc. Many players will tell you not to use the discs you have mentioned for putting because they blow to far past, dont stay in, roll aways, ETC. Do what works best for you. There was a guy here in San Diego many years ago that had more natural tallent than anyone I have ever seen, his name was Pete. He would shoot lights out with 2 or three discs, and always putting with the most unusual discs, Stingrays,Pheonix, Vipers, you name it he would use it. If you are comfortable with a certain disc, stick with it. Good luck

Chicinutah
Sep 20 2005, 11:14 PM
I found I putt better with Ryhnos than I do with Aviars. Maybe this is to do with the fact that it is more overstable, so I don't adjust much for the wind. I also throw alot of upshots with my viking, so take it for what it's worth ;) I say use whatever you are comfortable with, if you pick up a disc and are worried about the throw because of the disc it will definitely affect the throw.

Sep 21 2005, 12:36 AM
I went through just about every putter known to mankind, and couldn't get reliable putting with it.

Finally, I solved the real problem, and learned sound putting technique.

Go to Blake's website .... www.discgolfreview.com (http://www.discgolfreview.com) and read the article on the short arm putting technique. practice it, lots.

After I learned good technique, I found that it really didnt matter what disc I used. Good technique on the short arm pitch putt pretty much straightens out the flight of the disc.

and it doesn't matter what works for you, it's results that count. I played a round with a guy that putted with an Archangel of all discs.

dannyreeves
Sep 21 2005, 01:10 AM
Thanks but that wasn't what I was looking for. I have read over 90% of Blake's entire site. I took a lot of time trying to learn the short arm putt but it isn't for me. I wish I could have learned to putt that way when I started playing disc golf. It felt very unnatural and changing the way you putt is pretty hard after you are already an Open player.

Time for Blake to tell me that I am wrong. :p

Aleksey Bubis #22722
Sep 21 2005, 01:43 AM
Danny just use the comets or buzzes if it works do it and get better at it.

dannyreeves
Sep 21 2005, 02:10 AM
Thanks Boobs. Did you end up going to Carrollton last weekend?

I wanted to play but couldn't pass up free tickets to the UT game.

Sep 21 2005, 03:01 AM
I guess I should have noticed who was posting. I didn't really look, and I was just trying to give back at least a part of what I learn here. :o

dannyreeves
Sep 21 2005, 03:06 AM
I understand. It was good advice. Most should try it.

discgolfreview
Sep 21 2005, 04:48 AM
i worked with danny for a long time a few years ago via phone consultation on his putt. seemed to be working for a while...

was gonna work with him last year at the worlds but he vanished.

i always look at putting by the percentages. in the long run, putting with a comet will never yield as good of results as putting with a dedicated putter IF you can execute the putts with the same proficiency with either disc.

the rest of it comes down to school of thought. if you cannot execute the putt with the same proficiency you can a) give up and go with the disc you are more proficient with or b) modify your form so that it is proficient with any disc.

for my own case, knowing that i was putting with a disc that would not yield the greatest success percentage would be enough motivation to pound a way to make a different disc work. this is not always the case, nor ones ability to adjust.

the best way i can equate this is shooting free throws in basketball. fundamentally, they teach you to keep your elbow in so that you will have a linear extension consistent with the flight of the ball, but you'll find a lot of players with their elbow out and have a motion where the extension pulls across. should a player that shoots with their elbow out change their shooting form in order to stay consistent with the fundamentals? that really comes down to the player and their mindset on it.

other idea danny would be to just putt so gimp that your rating drops way down and you can move back down to am in order to mess with your putt :)

on a side note, a lot of the info in my short arm putting article translates over to just about any putting style, and taking what you can from that and putting with any style will hopefully be helpful to anyone trying to solidify a putting style.

cdaigle
Sep 22 2005, 09:35 PM
Danny, just go back to the turbo man, just like when you started. BTW Things are great here in Illinois!
Chad

dannyreeves
Sep 22 2005, 11:41 PM
I think I threw the turbo about one time into a headwind and figured out that wasn't gonna work. lol

Are you going to Horseshoe Canyon next month?

cdaigle
Sep 23 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm in grad school now at the University of Illinois so I will not have time to make it to Horseshoe, UNFORTUNATELY! I did get another basket recently and been playing whenever i get the chance, putting every night. There is a guy in my apartment complex that putts with his drivers, doesn't play much at all but he throws these silly looking helix putts in from 50 feet away, its hilarious!!
Chad