Sep 20 2005, 02:04 PM
Can I get some advice on this. I'm sure it has been discussed before.

When someone is lining up for a legal putt (or any shot for that matter) is the line that is used to judge wheather a player is too close to the basket a circle, since the basket is a circle.

Perpendicular to the basket means nothing to me since as far as I know it's not possible to make a line perpendicualr to a single point. That's what a basket is,..a single point. It's necessary to have two points in order to make a perpendicular line. :confused:

Somebody help.

GC

Sharky
Sep 20 2005, 03:41 PM
I believe it is a semi circle but a perpindicular line, to the line of play is a close approximation.

Sep 20 2005, 04:53 PM
Don't let geometry confuse you.

One supporting point (foot) directly behind the disc or the marker, the other supporting point no closer to the basket than the first. The other foot can be to the left, or the right, or straight behind the first, as long as it is not closer to the basket than the marker.

hazard
Sep 20 2005, 06:22 PM
Don't let geometry confuse you.

One supporting point (foot) directly behind the disc or the marker, the other supporting point no closer to the basket than the first. The other foot can be to the left, or the right, or straight behind the first, as long as it is not closer to the basket than the marker.

In other words, it's a circle.

gnduke
Sep 20 2005, 06:24 PM
It's a circle, so on really windy days when you are within 6' of the basket, you can straddle around the circle and almost have a drop in. :cool:

LouMoreno
Sep 20 2005, 06:28 PM
You know what they say about guys with 6' arms? :D

They can make drop ins from 6 feet away.

Sep 20 2005, 09:54 PM
They should also play basketball

Sep 20 2005, 10:49 PM
You know what they say about guys with 6' arms? :D

They can make drop ins from 6 feet away.

If you had 6' arms you'd be about 14' tall. I have a six foot span and am about 5'9" tall.

krazyeye
Sep 20 2005, 10:53 PM
The above post by Smokey was posted by me from his PC, my mistake.