Sep 19 2005, 10:55 PM
Ok, so someone please clarify this matter. When I first started I was told not to use your arm when throwing except to keep the disc in proper orientation during the pull. Then at the hit you're supposed to grip/press the disc into your hand tighter. The thing is, it seems like I throw better when I slightly tense my tricep i think, and keep my upper arm the same angle in relation to my right pectorial. I've been told, you're supposed to lead with your elbow and pull the elbow with your shoulder not the disc. Is this how to do it? Or is there an actual way to pull your elbow and lead with it, without using any muscles in your arm? If its ok to use the tricep in the manner, I'd say that you do use arm, but you don't use your arm muscles to generate power for the elbow extension, rather use your arm muscles to keep the arm in proper orientation for good timing with the elbow extension. This way off? This is an answer I'd guess not many people besides Blake would know, but people who have big arms or can tell they have really good snap, could chime in about how they use their arm muscles if at all.

friysch
Sep 20 2005, 02:26 AM
I'm not Blake, and I'm not a disc golf expert. I do know however that if I thought about all of that stuff, I couldn't throw a disc 10 feet.

I think the biggest thing to realize is that your power is generated from your hips/shoulders/legs...not your arm. Getting good turn will get you D. Trying to muscle a disc will not. I don't throw super far, but do know that my D got a lot more consistent when I stopped trying so hard for it and focused on good turn and unwinding with a strong follow through after the disc is released.

If what you're doing makes the disc fly the way you want it, don't worry about whether it is "correct." Everyone throws a little differently. Just do what you know will produce good results for you and forget what it looks or feels like.

Matt

discgolfreview
Sep 20 2005, 10:54 AM
tim,

the disc presses into the hand due to the abrupt stop of the wrist.

tensing the tricep will aid in a strong chop, which is part of finishing strong. however, i have seen many big throwers that really didn't have much in terms of tricep muscles. this chop has to be well-timed. i would say more acceleration comes from the obliques.

the key snap muscles are the extensor in the forearm (outter forearm) and grip strength.

my upper arm the same angle in relation to my right pectorial

this is correct in relation to a strong pull with no torque.

Sep 21 2005, 12:45 AM
Blake,
Just wondering if you ever give one on one private Lessons in
person at a Course or practice field ??

discgolfreview
Sep 21 2005, 04:37 AM
i do, but rarely get any takers in my area even though i don't charge for lessons.

this year i have worked with 5 players, 3 of which for 1 session only, and 2 of which a few times a month over the past few months. gave out my phone # to a lot of players this year but have yet to receive a call from most of them.

have had a few victories out of my students, but no increase in demand from players to work with them.