%!
---------
l l!!l l
---------
!!
!!
!! \
V !! / \vi \ <disc

Do you make sure your mini touches the back of your disc, or do you mark directly below the front edge?

Plankeye
Sep 19 2005, 09:22 PM
below the front edge. the inch isn't going to do much in changing your stance.

ellswrth
Sep 19 2005, 09:22 PM
you're speaking some secret language that nobody else knows... Aren' t you, Kenny?

Sharky
Sep 19 2005, 09:28 PM
Under the leading edge, the rule of verticality allows this.

rhett
Sep 19 2005, 09:30 PM
Good question!

I think the rule says the mini must touch the edge of the disc closest to the target.

Since your ASCII art does make any sense to me :) I'll assume you are talking about a "tombstoned" disc that is leaning towards the target.

Since the closest edge is elevated, I would invoke the rule of fairness to mark under the closest point of the disc.

rhett
Sep 19 2005, 09:31 PM
Under the leading edge, the rule of verticality allows this.

The Rule of Verticality only applies to the OB line.

paerley
Sep 19 2005, 09:36 PM
if the front edge is touching ground, I place it touching the front edge, or if the back edge is touching, I just play from the disc. Unless I'm putting and marking the disc gives me an advantagous lie, I just play from my disc. The exception to this is if it's a fairway run-up drive. I practice my run up to a mini to get a legal footing, and I noticed that I can only seem to get a legal plant if I use a mini. On a note of practicing that, I use a dirt patch and rake so I can see my steps. I'm to the point that the front of my foot starts at about 2 inches away consistantly, with my rotation through the drive nearly touching the mini. I've never slow motion video analyzed it so I can't say with 100% certainty that my foot doesn't bump the mini before the release, nor can I say with 100% certainty that my plant is within perfect/legal distance, but I shot AM-1 this weekend and asked the other guys on my card to watch and pay attention to the legality of my run ups and they agreed it looked fine.

MTL21676
Sep 19 2005, 09:37 PM
If your disc lands like this: \

(1)
---------
% % !! %
% %!!%
% %!%
%!%
%!
---------
l l!!l l
---------
!!
!!
!! \
V !! / \vi \ <disc

I have reached a new level of confusement.

rhett
Sep 19 2005, 09:39 PM

(1)
---------
% % !! %
% %!!%
% %!%
%!%
%!
---------
l l!!l l
---------
!!
!!
!! \
V !! / \vi \ <disc

Is that like a half a basket in that ASCII art???

Chris Hysell
Sep 19 2005, 09:50 PM
I prefer to use a sharpie. I usually put my name and phone number on the underside. If I get an ace I usually mark the date, hole number and ace #. Yesterday I marked ace #121 on a Z-Flick.

Plankeye
Sep 19 2005, 09:50 PM
that is exactly what it is...

I can see it now

if you have to mark your disc for that, then you need to make sure you hit your head on the underside of the basket when you stand up after marking it.

neonnoodle
Sep 19 2005, 09:58 PM
Though perhaps immediately perplexing it falls quite nicely under marking your lie when the disc is above the playing surface.

Rule of verticality is only for OB rulings not for stance or normal marking of the disc which often leads to errors in following the rules (such as having a disc in a tube be played from on top of the tube and so on (see multiple playing surfaces)).

sandalman
Sep 19 2005, 10:14 PM
simple. dont mark it. play it from behind the disc.

equally legal, less confusing.

pterodactyl
Sep 19 2005, 11:21 PM
If you cross your eyes a little and squint you may just be able to make out a partial basket. OK, I was bored. Just thought it was a good question that was a little thought provoking. I was glad that someone told me how they do their run-up, though. No drift there!

Your disc is on the playing surface so I was thinking it would be illegal to mark it directly under the leading edge. Rule interpretations will vary.

Sep 20 2005, 01:40 AM
I mark my disc like my dog marks trees....

neonnoodle
Sep 20 2005, 09:24 AM
How do you mark your disc when the front edge is 1 inch off the ground due to a stone or stick? Well, you do the same when it is tombstoned (unless there is relief provided by some other rule, i.e. OB, special condition area, etc.).

I agree that the "touching the...disc" language should likely be removed, leaving "on the playing surface immediately below the disc" (which is already in the rules under Disc Above the Playing Surface Rule).

Sep 20 2005, 11:47 AM
How about marking the lie of a disc that is tombstoned into the water but is leaning over land? Is it covered by the surrounded by water rule? or the above the playing surface rule? or???

Sep 20 2005, 11:49 AM
I mark my disc like my dog marks trees....

I've made myself a note to never touch a jones disc ...

my_hero
Sep 20 2005, 12:35 PM

(1)
---------
% % !! %
% %!!%
% %!%
%!%
%!
---------
l l!!l l
---------
!!
!!
!! \
V !! / \vi \ <disc

Huh? Me too. :confused:

neonnoodle
Sep 20 2005, 12:53 PM
How about marking the lie of a disc that is tombstoned into the water but is leaning over land? Is it covered by the surrounded by water rule? or the above the playing surface rule? or???

Interesting.

If the end sticking up is towards the target, then it would have to be considered In Bounds, because your mark would be In Bounds. In this case the rule of verticality is in effect (OB).

Even if it were the back side that was up and above IB the disc would still be In Bounds and play proceed.

So yes, the disc theoretically could be surrounded at the point of contact with moving OB water and still be IB if any part of it touches or breaks the OB lines plane. Rare, but possible.

rhett
Sep 20 2005, 02:14 PM
Is it covered by the surrounded by water rule?

I don't know of any "surrounded by water rule". Can you quote that one from the rule book?

pterodactyl
Sep 20 2005, 08:59 PM
It's an IQ test!

Just trying to see if I can raise your and MTL's cultural awareness of the finer arts. Looks like the only culture you guys know is "agri"culture!! :DJ/K fellas!! DTIP

quickdisc
Sep 22 2005, 07:40 PM
I usually mark my disc , by standing over it , and taking a leak on it :eek: This way , I'm assured no one else will pick it up !!!!!! :eek:

Bad Dog :mad:
Just kidding !!!!! :D

quickdisc
Sep 26 2005, 06:15 PM
I actually put my name on the top and bottom of my mini.

This way , if I leave it somewhere, It is usually returned to me.

Otherwise , it will end up in someone's bag and I don't want to be looking around for it later , like a lost disc !!!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif