distantdg
Sep 16 2005, 04:17 AM
i have begun to notice that tip of my middle finger has became a callus so im thinking that since im using a four finger power grip that my middle finger is becoming a rip point...so how do i fix this to make my index finger the rip point as it should be?

dischawk20
Sep 16 2005, 12:20 PM
i use two finger grip but i still have a callus on my middle finger, i cant tell ya how to fix it but i dont seem to lose any distance this way

Sep 16 2005, 12:24 PM
I find that my middle finger ends up as the rip point quite often as well. I find that resting the disc higher above the seam of my hand and/or partially stacking my middle finger on my index finger helps out. Even just concentrating on applying the most pressure with my index finger helps.

Sep 16 2005, 01:53 PM
I concentrate on gripping harder with my index finger when I get rips off my middle finger. You could also used some version of a stacked grip, or a birdie grip, to take your middle finger out of the picture.

Sep 16 2005, 02:46 PM
I'd say go out & practice using different kinds of grips & find one that works for you.
It's a strange grip, but on my last few holes today I was using the 3 finger power/accuracy grip shown here. (http://innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html)
I'd say that was a middle finger rip grip, but it was working well even in wet/rainy conditions.
Other good grips (for me) are the 3-finger power grip (oops, that's Blakes article) & split power grip found on the above site.
Blake has a nice article here. (http://discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml)

Don't be afraid to change things around as you just never know what will & will not work for you.

*edit: you know, after re--reading your post, I guess what I answered was not what you asked :D
I guess you could use a grip that uses the middle finger for the rip and not have to worry about it.

Sep 24 2005, 11:43 PM
I normally throw 3 finger power grip, but was instructed that I could get more spin..yielding more distance with a grip that was all for 4 fingers and a combo. power/fan grip(still on the rim, but pads on the plate) with my ring stacked on top of my pinky. Problem is, I keep getting nose up..should I move my thumb farther from the edge? Or, is it more complicated than that?