Sep 09 2005, 02:40 PM
I have started flipping my Champion Beast on my side arm throws and it is starting to kill my game. It's not bad if I am on a very pen hole because then it will finish out ok most the time, but on more technical holes it doesn't have the time to come back in.

What should I do next?
Is it my technique, my disc, etc.

Matt

Sep 09 2005, 02:44 PM
All the Beasts that I have owned Were all different, but all Beat up very quickly so it might be the disc.

Have you tried trying to keep your palm facing up as much as possible?? and trying to release on a hyzer??

I never threw a frisbee before discgolf, but I am getting into it now.
The hardest thing for me to do with a frisbee is Forehand it. Now that im' getting better at Throwing a lid forehand it's Greatly Improved my Discgolf Forehand. I usually Throw my 11x Teebirds or even less stable stuff becuase Overstable discs aren't necessary.

So try to release more hyzer and/or with your palm facing up more and also try another beast or another disc to see if it's your Original beast that is beating in.

-Scott Lewis

atreau3
Sep 09 2005, 02:58 PM
When I started, I exclusively threw forehand with a champion beast off the tee. I soon learned that I could not compete without a backhand and have since designated the forehand (flick) for utility shots. With the champion beast you want to consider it's lack of resistence to torque. If you have a smooth forehand motion with primarily flicking your wrist, you should be fine in normal wind conditions. If you are throwing into a headwind, you may want to consider a different disc. The main problem I see often when flicking the disc is people putting too much arm into the throw. When you put too much arm into, you might have a tendancy to roll your wrist over, thus turning the disc over. Also, you just may need to get a new champion beast as then do beat up over time.
Try this...when you throw your forehands during practice, keep your elbow as close to your body as possible when throwing. When I played ultimate in college, we taught this technique to new players who could not get the forehand down. If you feel your technique is proper, have someone else look it over. If they agree that your doing it right, check out a different disc. As Scott said, it is not necessary to thrown an overstable disc... i generally use a teebird or buzzz for my forehand, and only use an overstable disc when the shot warrants it.

- -Erick

Sep 09 2005, 03:07 PM
Well I know its not the beat in of the disc, because I keep 10 around new at all times, and have tried 3 others.

More then likely I am starting to get more arm speed with my side arms.

I threw a couple S Illusions today sidearm, and they are taking the higher arm speed that the beast is not

So if I liked the beast for so long, what disc should I try using to sidearm now? Should I move down in speed rating, or maybe try a DX plastic beast?

Sep 09 2005, 04:10 PM
Dx is gonna beat up and flip quicker. Maybe try a champ orc. They're a little more stable. Like the other guys said tho, get your form down pat as that will be better in the long run instead of masking technique flaws with a more stable disc.

Sep 09 2005, 04:26 PM
I do use Champion Orks also.

My form is very good, I wish my RHBH form was as good. What I have not tried is using more hyser on my drives though.

I also know that when I slow it down alot it goes dead on what it should, but as my game is getting better and better I am seeing peaks where I have get past certain things like my drivers flipping more often, and solving these issues as they arise to keep getting better.

Sep 09 2005, 05:39 PM
How far are you throwing?

Sep 09 2005, 06:25 PM
Are all your Beasts old or are the ones that are flipping newer ones with the Barry 2x stamp? This is probably a rhetorical question since you said you had 10 or something...

The newer Beasts are more understable out of the box than the old ones.

Sep 09 2005, 07:18 PM
Every Beast I ever threw turned over hard unless throwing it with a major hyzer angle. Great distance rollers though.

quickdisc
Sep 09 2005, 07:43 PM
Hmmmmmmm...........Ever Tried a Max Weight Dx Beast ?

I can hook you up !!! :D

Sep 09 2005, 10:35 PM
Distance wise I am around 400-450, most our holes don't much more then 350-400 on the average.

I have yet to try a maxweight DX. I have a good mixture of the older and newer champion ones though and they all seem to do the same thing when thrown hard. I'll have to play with how much hyzer to put on them.

I also tried out a firebird champion and a Z XS today and neither of them are flippy but flight pattern is different then the Beast.

Sep 10 2005, 01:07 AM
I would like to teach you about flipping your beast, but come on, isn't that something most boys learn how to do alone by the time they are 13?

If anybody teaches you how to flip your beast they can be arrested.

Sep 11 2005, 04:00 PM
Seems adding more hyzer helped, Thanks all.
Also a moe stable disc didn't have the problem also, Bt I love my beast.

Sep 12 2005, 07:12 PM
You may want to try a flick. I have found this to be the best sidearm disc for high speed throws. It is overstable enough to handle quite a lot of speed. It takes a little bit to get used to, but once you do you will be impressed.