rangel
Aug 29 2005, 04:50 PM
As part of my practice routine, I go out and try to throw farther. This year I put a Sidewinder in my bag (plus), put a very lightweight Valk in my bag (plus) and went from a one step (basic standing still) to a three step approach (plus). As a result, I am reaching pins that were not even close last year.

The most annoying part of this improvement has been the shot that goes right....right from the start. No turnover or flip.....just right. A real problem on a tight course. Some have said grip lock. Others have said my feet are not in tune with my arm (happy feet). Others have thought I got a bad case of Elvis (too much hip movement).

Now to my question. I'm out on the soccer field trying to keep my line when I decide to change my grip. Instead of four finger tips applying pressure against the rim, I leave three there and put my index (first) finger out (or down). Imagine my thumb putting pressure against the first joint on my index finger thru the rim. The results have been another plus. My light Valk is starting to flip (not all the time). I've lost my S shot with my Sindewinder, but I can throw my sidewinder flat even farther (I think). My Eagle and Leopard are really laying out flat. And....most important....I have not pulled NEARLY as many tee shots.

My guess is that I have changed the rip point (earlier) and this is creating more spin (flipping Valk). I thought I got this idea off Blake's site, but could not find anything close.

Any ideas?

Aug 29 2005, 05:04 PM
ADisc, I'm not sure exactly what to say, but in my learning process, have learned there's a certain amount of beneficial high speed fade to a drive, and there's a fine line where you can throw and have just enough to help your D carry a little further. I really noticed this while watching a friend throw a Teebird-TL. The thing had so much glide it was sick, and as it glid, just kept pulling a slight high-speed fade, then came back nicely and sat down. It's a fine line between "enough fade" and flipping the bastard over... Your timing on release, or power in your hips/steps might be adding to it as well... Just stick with it!!!

discgolfreview
Aug 29 2005, 10:46 PM
well, a chronic grip lock is usually caused by 1 or more of these factors:

1) starting pull early
2) leaning back behind the pivot foot
3) leaning to the right
4) late elbow extension
5) no abrupt stop of the wrist in the forward direction
6) extensive torque-over.

from what you are describing it sounds like this grip change has probably changed the way you finish the throw and reduced a lot of the tendency to hang on too long. not sure if it's due to a weaker grip or that you have smoothed your mechanics out.

a lot of players nowadays have a tendency to pull "over" on shots, whereas you may have simply started to pull "through" shots better.

not really certain but hopefully some of this helps.

rangel
Aug 30 2005, 09:11 AM
Blake. Something popped back as I read your reply. Some of the drives...ones I know are ripped or "almost there"...I find myself straining to watch the disc while my follow-thru brings my back (around) to facing the flight of the disc. It looks like I'm posing. I really just want to see if it flew as good as it felt :)