Aug 24 2005, 12:59 AM
On my drives and approach shots I can tend to "spray" my shots. This is a serious problem because many of the courses I play have a lot of trees.

My shots aren't extremely off-target, but they are enough to really screw up a hole. The degree of error seems to be anywhere from 15 to 40 degrees from the line I intend.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, my throw doesn't include a huge reach-back and my back never faces my target. I use the X-step, but my body never turns too far from the basket. I do, however, have a relatively long run-up.

Thanks.

discgolfreview
Aug 24 2005, 01:57 AM
#1 thing is balance, both left/right and front/back. body lean will skew trajectory.

#2 thing is that it sounds like you have a throw with an elbow extension that does not occur in the forward direction. i just reposted some frames contrasting styles in the beginner advice thread. the first set of frames extends out to the right. the second set extends straight ahead. willing to wager therein lies your culprit.

Aug 24 2005, 12:25 PM
As always, Blake, thanks.

Aug 24 2005, 12:36 PM
Are you saying that perhaps I'm not pulling through and rather swinging my arm out? Because that's the way my throw feels sometimes.

Any advice on how to correct this other than making sure i pull through properly?

Aug 24 2005, 02:11 PM
It's not the disc, is it? Sometimes I find the shape of a disc can lead them to hang up or slip out of my hand.

Also you could try dumping the x-step for a round or two. I did that earlier when I felt my control is suffering. First I just stood still and teed off. Then I took a baseball type step and then the full Xstep again and that really seemed to help both accuracy and power.

Aug 24 2005, 02:42 PM
I posted a similar question not long ago, and got some good advice. I have also dumped the x-step for the time being, as well as really cut down on my wind-up. I'm concentrating on leading with my shoulder, and have not lost any distance, am much less fatigued at the end of the round, and have narrowed my "Angle of error," considerably. Still not where I want to be be, but improving. One more thing, as simple as it sounds, the longer I can look at the target, the better aim I have.

discgolfreview
Aug 24 2005, 04:08 PM
Are you saying that perhaps I'm not pulling through and rather swinging my arm out? Because that's the way my throw feels sometimes.

yes, that is basically what i am saying :)
moreso, that your forearm extends on an arc out to the right.

Any advice on how to correct this other than making sure i pull through properly?

reach with your throwing shoulder lower than your off shoulder and keep the disc tight to your body when you come through. stay over the disc and let your arm continue on a follow through upwards after the rip.

Aug 24 2005, 06:25 PM
You may also want to try to stay consious of your wrist. Rolling your wrist over or under in the middle of your throw will seriously affect accuracy.

You can see if it's wrist roll by the flight of the disc, if you thought you were throwing flat and it comes off the hand very hyzer they you rolled your wrist under. If it comes of anhyzer then you rolled over.

Aug 25 2005, 01:00 AM
"that your forearm extends on an arc out to the right."

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I fully understood that. To the right of what?

"reach with your throwing shoulder lower than your off shoulder and keep the disc tight to your body when you come through. stay over the disc and let your arm continue on a follow through upwards after the rip."

If my throwing shoulder is lower than my off shoulder won't the disc be thrown upward? I understand what you're saying, and I've seen players use this technique, but why doesn't the disc lift afterwards?

Thanks to eveyone, by the way. Some great advice in here.

accidentalROLLER
Aug 25 2005, 11:55 AM
Just a quick sidebar, mainly directed to Blake_T. About 1 out of every 20 drives or so I hit my chest with the disc on my swing. Is this a technique problem or just one of those things that will fix itself with proper form? BTW, its usually on shorter, straight drives, not super long, crushing holes.

bcary93
Aug 25 2005, 10:53 PM
I've had some side to side problems that I most often associate with timing. I've noticed sometimes I don't get my head turned around toward the target quickly enough, as a result my eyes aren't on the target. When I do this I tend to send them off to the right. I don't often have problems throwing left (early release) but occassionally and haven't yet discovered a cause when it does happen but I suspect it may be the opposite problem somehow of getting my head turned and eyes on target before I'm ready for release.

Balance most often seems to afect my throws vertically so that if I'm leaning back as I'm releasing I sky the disk and if I'm too far forward I'll drive straight into the ground.

discgolfreview
Aug 26 2005, 02:14 AM
Forgive me, but I'm not sure I fully understood that. To the right of what?

to the right of center. the acceleration through the hit should occur on a line in the forward direction. throws that use a later/partial extension will have a tendency to extend on an arcing path that goes from left to right and a tendency to pull throws.

If my throwing shoulder is lower than my off shoulder won't the disc be thrown upward? I understand what you're saying, and I've seen players use this technique, but why doesn't the disc lift afterwards?

the throwing shoulder will be lower at the peak of the reach-back. the disc doesn't lift much because it is nose down. it lifts slightly due to velocity/lift and trajectory. how much it lifts naturally will depend upon power.

Just a quick sidebar, mainly directed to Blake_T. About 1 out of every 20 drives or so I hit my chest with the disc on my swing. Is this a technique problem or just one of those things that will fix itself with proper form? BTW, its usually on shorter, straight drives, not super long, crushing holes.

two possible culprits. the first one is the same thing i have been speaking of. when using a fold over reach/pull, during the pull, your chest is somewhat over the disc and there is much less tendency to hit your chest with the disc vs. a body axis rotational reach/pull that forces you to have better timing.

the second part of this can be alleviated by 1 of 2 things that are very closely inter-twined. getting the elbow through (when it is still bent) is the first part of this. if your elbow does not get through fast enough it is more apt to hit the left side of the chest... the second part is the left shoulder coming through too early... which happens either when timing is off and/or when the elbow comes through late.

Aug 29 2005, 10:11 PM
NEWB