Aug 18 2005, 10:19 PM
While I have played occasionally for a couple of years, it is only this summer I have really gotten in to the sport, playing a couple of times a week, practicing in a field one-two other evenings a week. While most aspects of my game are about where one would expect, (putting, midrange distance), I am having a heck of a time controlling direction of my drives. Height, distance, even wrist tilt, curve, are all ok, but sometimes I'll go way left, sometimes right. It seems to be my release, sometimes early, sometimes late. I use a basic power grip, have tried different combination of fingers, etc. I have pared down to a very basic no-step, turn and throw to try to fix this. Its frustrating! Any thoughts?

Aug 18 2005, 10:49 PM
Practice? :D

You've been playing longer than I have so I'm not much help.

I find if I don't concentrate on release & just let it rip I do better. If you concentrate too much you'll probably release early or late (I do the "late" quite a bit)

friysch
Aug 19 2005, 02:48 AM
Well, I'm not an expert, just an aspiring player myself, but I have a few things that have helped me.

Make sure and pick out a very specific object to aim at. Could be a Telephone pole off in the distance or a broken branch on a tree. Something far off that you have to focus on. Just focus on that line and visualize your shot going straight at your target. After that, don't think about anything in your run up and shot, just let it happen.

For me, this is almost a sure fire way to be more consistent. I tend to think about my steps and my shoulder turn and all kinds of crap that I shouldn't think about. So I just force myself to pick a line, shut up, and throw it.

Matt

discgolfreview
Aug 19 2005, 03:00 AM
your problem sounds like timing/balance issues that are probably accented by the way your upper body opens.

reposting these pictures since there have been several people in the past few weeks that have had related issues...

Body axis rotation:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/images/drose3-4.jpg http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/images/drose3-5.jpg http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/images/drose3-6.jpg

Shoulder fold/unfold:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/images/pmiddlecamp3-4.jpg http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/images/pmiddlecamp3-5.jpg http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/images/pmiddlecamp3-6.jpg

the relative consistency in accuracy between these two styles varies greatly. the first set of frames is more apt to have left/right control issues since the extension of the elbow will actually occur in a direction angling to the right. the second set of frames is more apt to have an accurate release since the motion of the shoulders will pull the disc straight forward and the extension/rip will occur int he forward direction.

basically, if you look at the behavior of the throwing shoulder in relative height to the off-shoulder as well as what motion it takes to mimic that extension plane... you will see they are quite different, especially in the behavior of the extension of the forearm.

Aug 19 2005, 11:09 AM
Brad I've struggled thru some of the same problems. The things that have helped me the most are:
1) Keep reading thru DG review. Blake does a great job with all of his articles.
2) Practice, Practice, and more Practice
One of the biggest things that's helped me is just practicing with different discs, angles, shots, etc.
3) Play with some people much better than you. They will help you by giving your tips, as well as just watching how they play the game.

One of my biggest problems is still releasing the disc instead of letting it rip out of my hand. I really have to take my time and concentrate.

Just keep working on it, it gets better and better.

bfunkyp
Aug 19 2005, 04:36 PM
buy 5 stable midrange discs (Roc, Buzz, Element X) and practice with them in a field and learn to throw them consistently with hyzer, anhyzer and flat. Once you can do that, it should make a big difference in your ability to throw all of your discs.

Aug 19 2005, 06:34 PM
Stick to one style and dont switch. Get your muscle memory working for you before you try anything different. Go with your most comfy throw and then after you got it (I would say a good 3 months) then try to modify. This has helped me immensly as I can drive with all different styles. I even have many different putting styles to choose from. :D

Greg_R
Aug 19 2005, 06:58 PM
On the 2nd set the guy seems to be dipping his throwing shoulder and finishing with his throwing shoulder higher (while set #1 keeps his shoulders perfectly level). I always though dipping the shoulder was a bad thing?

Aug 20 2005, 03:46 PM
buy 5 stable midrange discs (Roc, Buzz, Element X) and practice with them in a field and learn to throw them consistently with hyzer, anhyzer and flat. Once you can do that, it should make a big difference in your ability to throw all of your discs.

Even better, buy a few of the same midrange disc and just learn to throw it at different angles. Dont get caught up with throwing to many different discs, you don't need to. One type of midrange is all you need. Learning to throw something like the Roc with different angles will teach you to throw better and farther than if you are just throwing distance drivers. The distance drivers of today can actually teach you bad technique because alot of them are so easy to throw and can make you lazy if you just throw those discs. Dont worry about your distance, learn the accuracy part of the game first. Some of the best players ever maxed out at around 350-400 feet, but what they lacked in big D. they made up for with accurate drives off the tee, great approaches, and solid putting, thats where it's at.In the end no one cares about you throwing a 500 foot plus drive within 30 feet of a hole, they remember who won and who lost. Pick a throing style and stick with it, perfect it, and don't change it. Keep your bag simple (maybe 2 different drivers, 1 type of midrange, a roller disc, and your putters) and it will help. It's okay to have a few of the same disc broken in at different levels, just don't get carried away with carrying alot of different molds. Look at some of the top players (Climo for example), they have been throwing the same discs forever., it helps. Good luck with your game, and kee practicing off the course for best improvement.

Aug 20 2005, 06:53 PM
Coyote :D

Aug 20 2005, 10:21 PM
On the 2nd set the guy seems to be dipping his throwing shoulder and finishing with his throwing shoulder higher (while set #1 keeps his shoulders perfectly level). I always though dipping the shoulder was a bad thing?

He's not really "dipping" his shoulder. When you throw a disc the angle it is released upon should be the same angle that your shoulders rotate on. So when you're reaching back/facing backwards for a hyzer (which the guy in the pic is doing) your right shoudler should lower than your left. Then once your facing 90degrees from your target, your shoulders should be the same height but your body is leaned over, and during the follow through when your body is facing the target, your right shoulder will be higher than the left. At this point if you draw a line from shoulder to shoulder, the line should be on the same angle as the angle the disc was released on. Your throwing arm should also be on this line. If you're throwing an anhyzer, your right shoulder should be above your left on reach back, your body should be leaning backwards right before the hit when your facing 90 degrees from target, and then your right shoulder should be below your left when the body is facing the target during the follow through.

discgolfreview
Aug 21 2005, 04:15 AM

correct, he is dipping his shoulder. i wrote a lot about this on the wrist roll thread. these are two contrasting styles... keeping the shoulders level basically breeds anhyzer power as the extension of the elbow happens too late and at an angle directed to the right. this is the method taught in the stokely video.

the second set with the shoulder dip is imo, the best combination of power/accuracy for most players. it allows for extension online in the forward direction and to keep the disc closer to the body during the pull. basically, the lower the reach, the easier it is to get the nose down but the harder it is to get good extension. about 95% of the upper end pros throw with a style reaching with the throwing shoulder lower than the off shoulder and a high follow through on all shots with ~30 degrees or less anhyzer.

most players that have turnover problems throw with the style in the first set of frames.

Stick to one style and dont switch. Get your muscle memory working for you before you try anything different. Go with your most comfy throw and then after you got it (I would say a good 3 months) then try to modify. This has helped me immensly as I can drive with all different styles. I even have many different putting styles to choose from.

i do not agree with this advice for most people unless they are very coachable and can make on the fly adjustments with ease and can tell when they are doing something differently. people with very strong backgrounds in sports involving extensive practice of a repetitive motion generally are better able to do this (e.g. swing training in baseball or golf, bowling, basketball, etc.). what i have learned from working with players is that it is more difficult for most people to unlearn muscle memory than to learn muscle memory. you'll run into many players that have naturally developed flawed mechanics, and imo, most people do not deal well in shedding these flaws. the latest example of this was a friend of mine that threw 200 putts a day for 3 months using a weak putting form... it took me 45 hours of training sessions and about 4 months to get him to quit defaulting to the style he practiced a lot and being able to execute a stronger form with any kind of consistency.

for people just entering DG, i will support this but 3 months is a long time for people that play a lot. on rare occasion i have pushed people i introduced to DG to throw all overhand shots, which i equte to the "power chord" method of guitar. immediate success, quick plateau with little advancement beyond, but it keeps them coming back early on. if they take to it, they will seek out more.

He's not really "dipping" his shoulder. When you throw a disc the angle it is released upon should be the same angle that your shoulders rotate on.

the latter part is true, but he is dipping his shoulder. when throwing with the fold over method, the natural opening of the shoulders for all shots from ~90 degree hyzer to ~30 degree anhyzer will have a follow through upwards. while these frames are slightly different types of throws, the emphasis was on the shoulder behavior.

Greg_R
Aug 23 2005, 07:50 PM
keeping the shoulders level basically breeds anhyzer power

Very interesting, considering that is exactly what I've been seeing with my drives. I've also had some problems throwing gradual hyzers. I'll work on incorporating the fold method into my grip/timing field practice.

discgolfreview
Aug 23 2005, 11:17 PM
imo, it's easier to execute early on just trying to reach lower and then instead of coming around with the disc stay over it and pull the disc (like you would pull a wagon straight ahead) while keeping it as close to you as possible.

let me know how it works out.

quickdisc
Aug 25 2005, 02:20 PM
Beginner Advice......................start out by saying to your self.........Yea , I'm out doors , having fun , throwing golf plastic !!!!!! This is so cool !!!!!
Practice with different types of golf disc's , if possible , and see what flys best for you at that time.

All the rest of the stuff comes later , once your hooked !!!!!!

Be cool to players and show courtesy towards them and the course. Don't break tree branches or throw trash on the ground. Be mindful of the natural surroundings and feel lucky there is such a place , outdoors , to have a blast , throwing Disc Golf plastic !!!!! :D