atreau3
Aug 18 2005, 03:18 PM
anyone have any info on Innova's new disc: "The Wraith"

?

marksout
Aug 18 2005, 03:38 PM
Wraith DISCryptions

Flight Characteristics: 11, 5, 0, 3

The Pro Wraith is INNOVA�s newest addition to the Distance Driver line. It is our longest and fastest Distance Driver to date. It is a stable flyer that performs predictably well in the wind with speed, glide and accuracy. This is our most durable Distance Driver in Pro plastic. This disc performs remarkably well when thrown at less than full speed as well as at full speed. The Pro Wraith is an excellent side arm disc. It is available in weights from 170 to 175 grams.

m_conners
Aug 18 2005, 04:16 PM
That's the best **** poll I've ever seen.

Aug 18 2005, 04:31 PM
I love the banner about the wraith on innova's site. "These go up to eleven." Awesome

Aug 18 2005, 04:50 PM

ROFLMAO!!! I love sarcasm.

PikNik

slo
Aug 18 2005, 05:00 PM
I love the banner about the wraith on innova's site. "These go up to eleven." Awesome

That's one more, innit? :D

anita
Aug 18 2005, 05:44 PM
Is it the Nigel Tufnell signature disc?

Ah, "Smell the Glove".

Aug 18 2005, 05:45 PM
The best part about it is that 11 people have answered "yes", but there is only one response with any information. That's awesome :D

paerley
Aug 18 2005, 05:49 PM
You could always just make 10 faster.

Aug 18 2005, 05:57 PM
The best part about it is that 11 people have answered "yes", but there is only one response with any information. That's awesome :D

After the first response we all have information about the Wraith. ;)

gnduke
Aug 18 2005, 06:11 PM
I'm a little confused on all of this.

Is the speed rating the speed required to make the disc fly as designed, or the speed it will acheive when thrown by a rookie ?

Aug 18 2005, 06:13 PM
That has been a confusion point for me for all discs Gary...I hate the ratings systems they tell me nothing!! I have to throw or at least watch a disc be thrown. That seems to be about all that works for me.

paerley
Aug 18 2005, 06:15 PM
The speed rating comes into play in 2 aspects.

1. It's the target speed of the disc for optimal flight, but it requires a certain amount of spin relative to speed for that optimal flight.

2. It gives a thrower a relative idea of what the disc is going to be like in comparrison to other discs. If a person throws a disc with a speed of 9 and has problems that they're overpowering it, they know they need to choose one of: throw softer; throw heavier; get a faster disc.

A disc with a speed of 11 is likely to be a pig of a disc for weaker arms out there. For the behemoths that throw 800 foot rollers using a monster or a venom, this disc might be nice.

Aug 18 2005, 06:18 PM
But, the description and Dave's comments lead me to believe this disc could be used by smaller arms with success too...Will someone find one and throw it already???

Aug 18 2005, 06:28 PM

ROFLMAO!!! I love sarcasm.

PikNik

Comedic brilliance... especially w/ your avitar.

my_hero
Aug 18 2005, 06:42 PM
The <font color="red"> W </font>r <font color="red"> a </font> i <font color="red"> th </font> .......The <font color="red"> What </font> ? :D

New CFR?

jeterdawg
Aug 18 2005, 07:26 PM

Where the heck do you see that? I go to innova's site, and I don't see anything about the Wraith. The newest "product" thing on there is about the Women's distance record with the Pro Starfire by Jennifer Griffin. And are these already being sent out to TD's? If so, that would be greaaaaaaaat.

jeterdawg
Aug 18 2005, 07:28 PM
Dammit, I was about to close the browser with Innova's site, and i noticed it was on the top banner thing.

pterodactyl
Aug 18 2005, 09:18 PM
It took me a while to find it as well.

Who will be the first to ace with the Wraith?

I know, Innova should have a promotional "One Wraith Aith" tourney!!! OOPS! Sorry, Discraft. Just kidding!!

Aug 19 2005, 01:36 AM
Thrown straight by people with smaller and bigger arms indicates its got good high speed resistance and very little low speed fade. Sounds like a straight stable disc, like a sabre mixed with an orion and illusion.

Aug 19 2005, 01:46 AM
actually the definition by innova is the speed in whick the discs cuts through the air, Have you ever thrown a valkyrie and then a leopard you can throw them both at the same strength but the amount of time that it would take the disc to cover the same amount a distance is a dramatic difference.

rob
Aug 19 2005, 11:10 AM
[/QUOTE]
I know, Innova should have a promotional "One Wraith Aith" tourney!!! OOPS! Sorry, Discraft. Just kidding!!

[/QUOTE]

That's funny! :D

marksout
Aug 19 2005, 11:25 AM
But, the description and Dave's comments lead me to believe this disc could be used by smaller arms with success too...Will someone find one and throw it already???

The Pro Wraith should be available very soon. The disc is as fast as advertised, and very friendly to those with a lesser arm. The Champion version may be a different story, but I have only seen the Pro Wraith.

Archemike
Aug 20 2005, 01:10 AM
So according to Innova's website, it looks like the stability is in-between a Champ Orc and a Champ Firebird with more speed, and the same glide as a pro starfire. WoW :eek:! I'm buying one of these... :D

Pro Wraith on Innova's Website (http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/prowraith.html)

Aug 20 2005, 01:18 PM
I wonder if it looks anything like the quarter K? I bet it does.

Aug 20 2005, 01:29 PM
Especially the inner rim edge (where u put your fingerpads) That area has always been to severe of an angle (90� is a bad angle for turbulance).

jaymo
Aug 21 2005, 02:52 AM
So according to Innova's website, it looks like the stability is in-between a Champ Orc and a Champ Firebird with more speed, and the same glide as a pro starfire. WoW :eek:! I'm buying one of these... :D

Pro Wraith on Innova's Website (http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/prowraith.html)

work for Innova much?

Karma Police
Aug 21 2005, 10:57 AM
Discovering the World has them out now.

Discovering the World homepage (http://www.dtworld.com/)

Aug 22 2005, 01:27 AM
Chris Sprague seemed to really like his this weekend! First shot out of the box almost skipped in!

vwkeepontruckin
Aug 22 2005, 10:28 AM
I wonder if it looks anything like the quarter K? I bet it does.

Betcha it looks like an Illusion/Venom.

gokayaksteven
Aug 22 2005, 05:15 PM
the s illusion and d venom do look extremely similar... and like nothing else. faster than anything else in my opinion, but little glide and a hard fade.

sun_king
Aug 22 2005, 06:54 PM
Pro Wraiths in stock Wednesday 8/25. Pre-Order HERE (http://www.sunkingdiscs.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=3112-PLWTH).

wit
Aug 22 2005, 09:44 PM
the one I saw seemed to be just like a Starfire, the under grip edge seemed to be a touch wider, and it was a little domier. didn't throw it though.

Aug 23 2005, 03:37 AM
I got to throw both the pro and the champion Wraith today, both are very good discs. The Champion Wraith seems to be great into the wind and with left to right crosswinds, carries pretty well. It will fly far with a backwind with the proper realease, flat to a little anheizer. The pro wraith just plain kicks butt with any type of backwind. The thing is fast and stable, more so than the pro starfire or the pro Orc. It also has great glide and is very controlable. I threw a couple shots with both that should not have gone as far as they did. Micah Dorius was with me and had some decent bombs with them also. Will I buy one to throw, NO. The teebird is my driver of choice since it is predictable in all winds, and I can throw it well over 400 feet so thats all I need, but for anyone looking for a fast, stable, predictable and longggg flying disc try iy out, you wont be dissapointed.

Aug 23 2005, 09:10 AM
Bob
I am throwing a pro starfire now and ch orc. The latter for head winds and cross winds that are not too bad. I am thinking about getting something a little more wind resistant instead of the ch orc. Would a pro Wraith fit me well for this use? My longest drives on a course are about 360-380ft.

Aug 23 2005, 05:05 PM
Bob
I am throwing a pro starfire now and ch orc. The latter for head winds and cross winds that are not too bad. I am thinking about getting something a little more wind resistant instead of the ch orc. Would a pro Wraith fit me well for this use? My longest drives on a course are about 360-380ft.

Mattias, I think the pro or the champion Wraith would be a better head wind disc than the Pro starfire. The Pro Wraith is definately more stable into the wind than the Starfire. I haven't thrown the pro starfire much though so I cant compare the wraith to the starfire as good as I can compare the wraith to an orc. The pro wraith is way better than a pro orc into a wind, but f I was to buy a Wraith it would be a champion wrath because it would suite me better in all conditions. For the distance you are getting you might want to try a pro wraith because they do carry a little better than the champions. Your best bet would be one of each, champion for headwinds, pro for calm and backwind conditions. I hope this helps. Each disc reacts differenty for every player, if you are not getting throws over 400 feet, I think a pro wraith would be fine. I throw hard with alot of arm speed 475 plus golf shots, so the champion plastic drivers react to my throwing style much better than pro plastic. The pro plastic flexes out of my hand to much, and sometimes I get a little wobble with it. I think you would be very satisfied with the pro version, around 172 grams would be my choice for you. Good luck if you get one, you will like it. Remember though, if you are throwing what you are using now accurately and comfortably, don't change. Changing discs all the time can really hurt your game more than it helps. When you switch discs all the time you are always trying to learn the disc instead of trying to improve your technique. Improving your technique is much more important than getting that new driver that might add a few feet of distance to your throw.

jugggg
Aug 24 2005, 01:02 PM
Hey Sunkings are they in yet? are they in yet? are they in yet?

:D:D:D

discndat
Aug 24 2005, 04:06 PM
Disc 'n Dat (http://www.discndatonline.com) has them shipping out right now.

esalazar
Aug 28 2005, 12:47 AM
I am very impressed by the wraith!!! It is definately my biggest hyzer disc now!! superfast !!!

Archemike
Aug 28 2005, 02:19 AM
I can hyzer a wraith as far as a helixed flipped champ 175g orc

dannyreeves
Aug 28 2005, 11:33 AM
How is it for a big anyzer S curve?

quickdisc
Aug 28 2005, 06:59 PM
Excellent Avatar Kid !!!!!!!

Less than 30 degrees anni , if that helps. More if throwing lower !!!! :D

dannyreeves
Aug 28 2005, 07:11 PM
Sweet. I love trying new discs. I got one of these coming from Sun King.

quickdisc
Aug 28 2005, 07:58 PM
They fly like an overstable Pro Starfire , if that helps any.

dannyreeves
Aug 28 2005, 08:16 PM
Sweet. That Starfire was too understable for me. I liked it as a roller though.

quickdisc
Aug 28 2005, 08:19 PM
Enjoy !!!!!! :D

jugggg
Aug 28 2005, 09:15 PM
Pro Wraiths in stock Wednesday 8/25. Pre-Order HERE (http://www.sunkingdiscs.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=3112-PLWTH).

must have been a delay :(

esalazar
Aug 29 2005, 06:23 PM
anyone else hear of any aces yet by the wraith?? At a tourney this past weekend an ace was hit with a wraith!! I was just wondering if this was the first ace hit , using a wraith!! :D

Aug 29 2005, 07:12 PM
Nope, NO ACES. Congratulations, you heard about the first ace with the Wraith!!! now im hoping it was at least over 400.

rhett
Aug 29 2005, 08:42 PM
The Wraith is the real deal, baby. I got a deuce on a 415 foot hole with a 10 foot putt yesterday with it, and I ain't no big arm.

Here my synopsis: it flies and feels just like a Starfire, only better.

That means almost no learning curve. I picked one up on Thursday (blue, 170g) and took it to Tucson with me. I threw it twice while warming up before the first round, and it felt so familiar I had no second thoughts about pulling it out in the tourney on the long holes that I couldn't reach.

Except that I ended up reaching one. :)

Birdie
Aug 29 2005, 08:51 PM
Are they going to make it in champion and/or CFR like the cand discs? I think the Starfire L is in the Candy plastic isnt it?

quickdisc
Aug 29 2005, 08:55 PM
I have thrown three different types of the Wraith.

Dx is a fast , mean driver.................

Pro-Line is it's wicked brother..........a little more stable.

The Champion version................well .........I won't let the cat out of the bag on this baby , just yet !!!!!! :eek:

shanest
Aug 29 2005, 09:03 PM
During the fourth round of the MSDGC, Moser threw Brinster's new Wraith on hole 18 for fun because he was having a bad round. Needless to say he took a tap in 3 on that difficult hole

Aug 29 2005, 10:40 PM
I'm a sidearm thrower that has fallen in love with the wraith after one round. Flies far with a predictable fade, but if you throw it with annie, it will hold it for a while before comming back. Flies like a bigger 2nd run Starfire, in my opinion, but feels better in my hand. Anyone play on a wooded course enough to notice any change in flight after some tree contact? I used to throw the pro starfires a lot before it started hitting trees, and now all that thing does is turn turn turn. Don't want the wraith to end up like that :).

xterramatt
Aug 29 2005, 11:21 PM
mine was the bomb this weekend.

Pyramids
Hole 12, in practice I threw it out into the open twice. Farthest I saw on this hole all weekend.
Hole 14 silver, I had a 45 foot putt for 2, missed about 6 inches low. (not the wraith's fault)

Maple Hill
Hole 1 Airplanes. After the rest of my group threw their shots over the water, I pulled out the Wraith. I threw it a little too flat, being as I was on a hill and didn't want it to hyzer out early... but it just flipped over a littlle and sailed and sailed out over the tree on the left. When it finally hyzered in it was 120 feet past the water and got a skip off the road of another 10-20 feet. I was able to throw a putter lightly to get under the basket.

Hole 2, red. I threw 50 feet past the basket. lefty anhyzer over the trees. it held the line and flexed out at the end (I think). I missed the comebacker.

Hole 17, red. I thought I threw it TOO far. it just floated and floated and I thought I'd be long of the pin. Then I realized it was 334 feet uphill. Up a big hill.

Hole 18, I almost went out of bounds long with my drive (I was inbounds by 4 feet). Our entire card took threes on the hole. (I think the only other star 3 on the hole was the lead card)

I am still amazed at the shot on hole 1. If these get used for the distance finals at "the lake" they may just have to change the rules to who can throw the most in the road.

Aug 30 2005, 01:27 AM
The Wraith is the real deal, baby.

Rhett, do you mean the Starfire-X? :confused:

rhett
Aug 30 2005, 04:13 AM

No. I throw 1st run CFR Starfires, 168g. The lowest weight I found was a 170g Wraith. I figure the pro plastic versus the candy makes the weight about even.

sun_king
Aug 30 2005, 09:29 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Wraiths in stock Wednesday 8/25. Pre-Order HERE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

must have been a delay

Chariots, no delay here, were on our 3rd box with our 4th arriving tomorrow.

Thanks!
Mike

primetime
Aug 30 2005, 12:05 PM
I got mine from Sunking yesterday! :)

Thanks Mike!!

DreaminTree
Aug 30 2005, 12:23 PM
I got mine from Sunking yesterday! :)

Thanks Mike!!

As did I... I was very impressed with how smooth and quick my order was and all the little extras that were included. Will definitely do more business with Sun King.

That being said, all I have to say about the Wraith is... WOW. I cant wait until this thing breaks in a little bit and I can get some high speed turn out of it. I am consistently throwing it 400' out of the box (I probably avg. about 380' consistently with a pro orc). Dead straight for about 375' (in about 1 second of flight time) and then a HARD left finish. Sweet disc.

flynvegas
Aug 30 2005, 01:28 PM
I got mine frm DTW last Friday, two days after ordering. discgolfvalues was on vacation, so I went to DTW. I had some nice long throws, will continue to work with it..

Aug 30 2005, 01:47 PM

No. I throw 1st run CFR Starfires, 168g. The lowest weight I found was a 170g Wraith. I figure the pro plastic versus the candy makes the weight about even.

I thought all first and second CFR Starfire runs were the X mold and that only after the release of the Pro Starfire (L mold) are there now Starfire L's available (or soon to be available) in the cfr plastic... :confused:

Aug 30 2005, 02:45 PM
Nope. First runs were somewhere in between the 2nd run (referred to as X) and the third run (Referred to as L) in terms of stability. One should note the first and seconds look very similar, and the third runs look conserabily different.

Aug 30 2005, 04:19 PM
Another quick Wraith review from an intermediate:

I threw the pro version 174g yesterday.

Big honkin' rim - deep and wide. It feels really solid in your hand. I put a little anhyzer angle on it and got a really good straight flight after a slight turn. It has a really hard left fade once it slows down.

I got out to almost 400' with it which is about the same as my primary driver - T-birds. I liked the disc and thought it had quite a bit more glide than the 5 rating would indicate. I haven't thrown one in the Champ. plastic, but I'd imagine that's where you'd find less glide. It definitely had more glide than my champ. T-birds, however. I'll leave it in the bag for now and see how it does when it breaks in a little (shouldn't be long with the pro plastic).

The comparison to the Pro Starfire I believe is pretty much right on. It's like a stable version of the Starfire that won't turn over unless you have a pretty big arm.

-D

cgflesner
Aug 30 2005, 05:22 PM
Stable? :confused:

I watched Nolan rip a couple of them at Veterans and they looked anything but stable.

esalazar
Aug 30 2005, 05:30 PM
your right Nolan is definately an exception!!

my_hero
Aug 30 2005, 06:15 PM
i agree chris....it appeared to be domey, fast, and understable

Aug 30 2005, 06:33 PM
Never heard of this disc either. First road runner now Wraith?

esalazar
Aug 30 2005, 07:14 PM
mike the wraith is actually for sale now!! the roadrunner is not , to my knowledge!! Mike I threw some bomb hyzers this past weekend with the pro wraith!! :D

Aug 30 2005, 09:33 PM
Nope. First runs were somewhere in between the 2nd run (referred to as X) and the third run (Referred to as L) in terms of stability. One should note the first and seconds look very similar, and the third runs look conserabily different.

isn't the Wraith every bit as stable as the Starfire-X?

Birdie
Aug 30 2005, 10:34 PM
Starfire X? I have only heard of the Pro Starfire and the Sarfire L...is there a third? :confused:

Aug 30 2005, 10:52 PM
The Pro Starfire is the L mold. Until very recently the CFR Starfire was the X mold. But now available in CFR are both the Starfire X and Starfire L

Aug 30 2005, 10:57 PM

I don't really think so. Now that I've got to throw it for a few rounds, it's somewhere between the CFR Starfire X and L. Flips up a little like the L, but has the big X fade. But man, this thing is fast!

isn't the Wraith every bit as stable as the Starfire-X?

Aug 31 2005, 07:55 PM
Just picked one up today. Going to head out and give it a throw. I can throw about 550 with an Orc so we will see what this thing can do. I'll share what I think it flies like when I return!
Wally

quickdisc
Aug 31 2005, 08:06 PM
Been throwing one at 170. May try a 174 to see if any different.

http://www.centxdglove.com/putterman.gif

Aug 31 2005, 10:42 PM
Have a 171. Are the flightplates on the heavier (174-5) super thin? The plate on the 171 feels slightly thicker than 2 pieces of paper.