Aug 15 2005, 03:24 PM
I'm looking for a disc that will execute a nice thumber....I'm seriously considering the Talon, and advice?

circle_2
Aug 15 2005, 03:28 PM
I would think the Talon would be a great choice due to it's shallow inner rim depth and overall speed...though it seems a lot of thumber-folks choose very overstable discs such as Firebirds. Candy type plastics will give the longest life and most bang for the buck!

my_hero
Aug 15 2005, 03:29 PM
Most people around here have found the Z-Flick for thumbers. Super low profile, major speed and distance for the thumber. I can't throw that shot, wish i could, but that's what i see people here using.

DreaminTree
Aug 15 2005, 03:44 PM
I use a Champion Eagle or Firebird for thumbers. I like the eagle better, I get a more consistent turn out of it. I am only using a 164 Eagle for it though, I wonder if using a heavier disc will make it easier on the shoulder.

jfsheffield
Aug 15 2005, 10:24 PM
I'll throw a thumber with any disc in my bag including Rocs and Aviars (big bead). I would suggest picking out a driver that you like to throw, and experiment using a thumber. I can get my T-bird and Valk out just as far as my Firebird but on a slightly different path. Have fun with it.

CAMBAGGER
Aug 16 2005, 08:41 AM
Predator.

Aug 16 2005, 09:40 AM
does Jamie (sp?) Ausin resident still play golf? I played texas teams with his team the first year and he had 400+ tomahawk that he threw with his opposite hand (left)

jdavidson
Aug 16 2005, 10:41 AM
I've been getting excellent distance with a venom.

james_mccaine
Aug 16 2005, 11:06 AM
Yes, rumor has it that Jamie still occasionally plays and yes, he is still the overhand king in my book. Simply amazing.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the epic? I've seen guys overhand it a long, long way, but I get the impression that they're not sure where it will land. :D

Aug 16 2005, 11:09 AM
funny, I was out a few months ago, saw an epic coming my way as it was corkscrewing through the air. So I figured I was safe, but then it flattened out and flew right at me, going another 200' feet or so. This was the second time I was almost hit by this disc on this course. I have seen a dragon do this as well, pretty wild stuff.

Two Words "play through"

james_mccaine
Aug 16 2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I parked at the course yesterday in a normally safe place, opened the trunk and watched as this disc came corkscrewing at me and landed over the fence. A long thumber by the way. The guys came walking by and I pulled out an epic that I had found and gave it to them. For the next twenty minutes, they were chucking them around and marveling at the unique flight paths. :D

circle_2
Aug 16 2005, 11:24 AM
While it may seem like a crime, I've had good results with my 156g 2nd run CE Valk. [email protected] fast, [email protected] durable. I hate putting this gem in my bag though...as losing it is NOT an option.

cbdiscpimp
Aug 16 2005, 11:36 AM
Thats because the second runs are almost as overstable as a FIRECHICKEN :D

slowmo_1
Aug 16 2005, 11:41 AM
I've found the 150 talon to be a great thumber disc. the rim is shallow but not to deep like the flick so I get a better grip on it. the lower weight makes it easier on my shoulder....this comming from a lifelong baseball player.

friZZaks
Aug 16 2005, 12:34 PM
IMO...the heavier the disc the better for your elbow and shoulder. But what do i know... Firebirds are the distance (300) thumbers but understable stuff will turn quick and squbble hard.

ToddLapham
Aug 16 2005, 01:21 PM
Monsters are the best thumber disc IMO.

adogg187420
Aug 16 2005, 01:51 PM
ProLine Monsters.

Luke Butch
Aug 16 2005, 02:40 PM
Z Predator for long thumbers

Z XS for up and down thumbers(straight line)

ANHYZER
Aug 16 2005, 02:44 PM
I used to throw Monsters, but I just switched my bag to all Discraft and was wondering if anyone throws the Z Flick for thumbers?

krazyeye
Aug 16 2005, 02:50 PM
Z-Xtreme

my_hero
Aug 16 2005, 02:55 PM
I used to throw Monsters, but I just switched my bag to all Discraft and was wondering if anyone throws the Z Flick for thumbers?

Everyone around here has discovered the Z-Flick for thumbers. I can't throw that shot cuz it hurts, but people swear about more distance and accuracy with the Z-Flick.

ANHYZER
Aug 16 2005, 02:55 PM
Cool.

Aug 16 2005, 03:03 PM
Candy firebirds and teebirds are ideal. The firebird turns over slower giving it a bit more distance, but it also goes a little more to the right(RH). I use the thumber to get outta tight spots with a few of my mids as well, Snipers and Gremlins

The key is to aim left and get the right release point. And also, some ointment for the shoulder for you first 2-day tourney using as your primary drive.

LouMoreno
Aug 16 2005, 03:11 PM
Most people around here have found the Z-Flick for thumbers. Super low profile, major speed and distance for the thumber. I can't throw that shot, wish i could, but that's what i see people here using.

Dirty, My_Hero wrote this upthread.
Are you sponsored now?

junnila
Aug 16 2005, 03:51 PM
Z Xtreme
Z Pred
Z Flick
Z Talon
Z X2

All make good thumbers, just depends what kind of shot you want. I have found that the Z Flick starts turning slow, then does a quick turn, and finally comes down, it was pretty freaky the first time I threw it. Anyone else notice this?

m_conners
Aug 16 2005, 03:52 PM
I use the "original" Pro Firebird for thumbers...You mihgt want to fool with the champ firebirds if you are looking for some good thumber action.

Also, whatever thumber disc you decide to go with experiment with the height when letting go...this will determine what kind of landing to expect.

cbdiscpimp
Aug 16 2005, 03:54 PM
He is now throwing ALL DISCRAFT so the Firepoultry is out of the question. I am not thumbing a Z Talon in 150 class plastic and I am about to try a Z Flick in 150 as well. I was also told the new Z Wildcats are freakishly overstable so I am going to try a couple of those as well :D

esalazar
Aug 16 2005, 03:55 PM
the champion firebird is now my primary thumber disc!! I used ce-fx's in the past , that became too expensive!!haha :D

cbdiscpimp
Aug 16 2005, 03:57 PM
The new Champion Firechickens are all ran in the FX mold so you are essentially still throwing the same disc but in a different plastic :D

esalazar
Aug 16 2005, 03:59 PM
The new Champion Firechickens are all ran in the FX mold so you are essentially still throwing the same disc but in a different plastic :D

exactly, and a hell of a lot cheaper!! i actually think they fly a bit further!! :D

junnila
Aug 16 2005, 04:17 PM
He is now throwing ALL DISCRAFT so the Firepoultry is out of the question. I am not thumbing a Z Talon in 150 class plastic and I am about to try a Z Flick in 150 as well. I was also told the new Z Wildcats are freakishly overstable so I am going to try a couple of those as well :D

The new Wildcats are super stable, they fly like a beat z pred, seriously. I have three of the new ones and they are money, I haven't tried using them for thumbers but will give it a shot tonight.

ANHYZER
Aug 16 2005, 04:18 PM

Dirty, My_Hero wrote this upthread.
Are you sponsored now?

Not yet...Hopefully soon...I still have to officially go pro-which I will before the end of the year.

ANHYZER
Aug 16 2005, 04:21 PM
I have found that the Z Flick starts turning slow, then does a quick turn, and finally comes down, it was pretty freaky the first time I threw it. Anyone else notice this?

I just tried throwing them at lunch, and I noticed the same thing. I also noticed that after a few throws I had it dialed in with the same accuracy I had with my Monster. Sweet-That was the only shot I was worried about transferring over from Innova.

m_conners
Aug 16 2005, 06:05 PM
I was also told the new Z Wildcats are freakishly overstable so I am going to try a couple of those as well :D

Yo Mills: I also heard the new Z-WC's are really stable...might be a good thumber because they do feel comfortable in the hand.

Oct 13 2005, 01:36 AM
I know this isn't discraft, but no one has mentioned it yet, I throw champion banshees as a thumber (especially the CFR glow ones). They have a smooth beginning of flight that goes left and gradually turns to end right. The result is that it stays in the air longer than most. My max thumber is around 375', which is an increase over the 325 I was getting out of firebirds.

Luke Butch
Oct 13 2005, 01:48 AM
The farthest thumbers I have ever seen were by a Z Xtreme- the most overstable driver ever.

Chicinutah
Oct 13 2005, 01:59 AM
My hubby throws a pretty good tommy, he uses the great firechicken as well. Why hasn't Schwebby replied? I hear he has a decent thumber.

Oct 13 2005, 11:26 AM
hes at the usdgc........gettin' out his can of whoopass..... :D

cbdiscpimp
Oct 13 2005, 11:37 AM
Yo Mills: I also heard the new Z-WC's are really stable...might be a good thumber because they do feel comfortable in the hand.

I think its fair to say they are OVERSTABLE and I will soon be trying them for thumbers but as of right now I still use a 1st run Fusion Plastic Tsunami for all overhands :D

Oct 13 2005, 11:56 AM
any one use a gateway disc for thumbers, i recently switched over and that is the only shot i am still looking for in gateway.

dwiggmd
Oct 13 2005, 03:48 PM
Theoretically, a lighter disc should go farther provided it is stiff enough for a good thumber. I just got an "ultralight" gateway spirit from Marshall Street 130 grams. It is plenty stiff and flies reliably farther as a thumber than my 150 flick (previous longest) which beat the Monster (longest before that) BTW the spirit is so stable, it won't flip with a tomohawk so is no good for that.

Boneman
Oct 13 2005, 11:57 PM
I like the Gateway Illusion for thumb action. Flies like a Flick.

the_kid
Oct 14 2005, 12:37 AM
I like the illusion too as the wide rim lets you get a tight grip. :D

Oct 21 2005, 07:15 AM
I've used the illusion some as a thumber. It goes far since it's stable and ludicrously fast. I've found they lose their stability too quickly when used as thumbers since E's are really hard to find.

vwkeepontruckin
Oct 25 2005, 02:19 AM
any one use a gateway disc for thumbers, i recently switched over and that is the only shot i am still looking for in gateway.

James:

Illusions go REALLY fast no matter how they are thrown...SO, they make for good thumbers! However, they are too fast brand new to fly good on a tommahawk, so you may need a beat up one for that.

Oct 25 2005, 10:47 AM
I have had no luck with the spirit or the illusion as a thumber. They seem to spin and go right to quickly. I need to start them off left, but just can't for some reason.

esalazar
Oct 25 2005, 12:14 PM
champion firebirds are the best IMO!! :D

Oct 25 2005, 12:34 PM
yes they are! alas not a gateway disc, but this is ok.

Oct 25 2005, 01:01 PM
If it's windy a nice heavy champion or early pro line FB, if its calm or tail wind a light CE I have a few 158 and 160g CE FB that do the trick the best..

Jay

Oct 25 2005, 03:16 PM
I use a 150 Spirit for thumbers...most accurate thumber disc I have as it seems to drop straight down and not bounce away like my Tsunami does (I do use the Tsunami for longer thumbers).

Oct 25 2005, 05:20 PM
I will experiment with my 150 s spirit and see what happens.

Oct 26 2005, 01:37 PM
Light can be very good for the distance but if you have any cross wind your accuracy is shot!! I do love my 158 g CE FX, stiff.. fast.. and crazy stable the perfect thumber disc...I just hate using those sweet discs and thumbing them than I stop and realize they will take years to break in, he he

Jay

bschweberger
Oct 26 2005, 07:48 PM
Champion Firebirds. There is no substitute.

Oct 26 2005, 07:49 PM
send me some wont cha?

ANHYZER
Oct 26 2005, 08:37 PM
Champion Firebirds. There is no substitute.

MonsTTers/PredaTTors are beTTer /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jaxx
Oct 26 2005, 09:12 PM
they are pretty good, especially pro line ones,
but i lost all i had so champ firebird is the disc i use when i try to throw a thumber.
I think copying anything Schweb does/throws for thumbers would be good advice.

ANHYZER
Oct 26 2005, 09:14 PM
I say thumbs up to Schweb too. But for me, its Monsters and Predators.

bschweberger
Oct 26 2005, 11:32 PM
To each there own. More overstable the beTTer.

adogg187420
Oct 27 2005, 12:28 AM
Have you tried Monsters for thumbers, Schweb? And if so, what are the differences between a Monster and a Champ. Firebird? And if so, why do you like the Firebird better?