AlmaWillie
Aug 14 2005, 01:06 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with a ProStarfire coming out of your grip and almost imediately (50-100') begin to fade? I bought one b/c the website says it is an excellent disc to add distance, which is what I need. With a Valkyrie, Eagle or Teebird I can avg. 280 and max 325'. With the starfire I have maxed at 220' after 15-20 throws. I feel like it is my form but don't have this problem with any other disc. It's like it is leaving my hand going left. Anyone have any ideas? Does it need a different grip or technique?

Aug 14 2005, 02:03 PM
The Starfire is a tricky disc for me -- I would recommend the Orc or the Sidewinder. But when i throw the Pro Starfire right, it really gets great D.

I'd say you need to make sure you get the nose down. Because the Starfire is so fast, it is very nose angle sensitive and getting the nose up will cause it to stall and fall (that's true for all discs except putters and slower discs seem more forgiving). Tilt your wrist so your hand is pointing down instead of being parallel with your forearm upon release....

i had to edit "c.ock" your wrist to "tilt" your wrist due to the overzealous cyber-[I'm a potty-mouth!] ...

quickdisc
Aug 14 2005, 06:22 PM
The Starfire is a tricky disc for me -- I would recommend the Orc or the Sidewinder. But when i throw the Pro Starfire right, it really gets great D.

I'd say you need to make sure you get the nose down. Because the Starfire is so fast, it is very nose angle sensitive and getting the nose up will cause it to stall and fall (that's true for all discs except putters and slower discs seem more forgiving). Tilt your wrist so your hand is pointing down instead of being parallel with your forearm upon release....

i had to edit "c.ock" your wrist to "tilt" your wrist due to the overzealous cyber [I'm a potty-mouth!] ...

Exactly...........The Pro Starfire is more stable at the end of its flight than the Pro Orc. Both Haul ***** though and get you down the fairway quick !!!!!!

Carefull though , how much snap you putt on your Pro Starfire.
I can get mine to stay turned over , once Zapped with nose down and slightly turned. Man , those disc's fly like weapons.

There should be a warning label to keep from small children and pregnant women !!!!! :eek:

Aug 14 2005, 11:23 PM
My Pro Orc fades more than my Pro Starfire which is why i prefer the Pro Orc. The Pro Starfire either flies a long annie with some fade at the very end or it hyzers all the way. The Pro Orc will annie a long way and then fade (flex) at the end for me or it will stay pretty flat till the end or it will stay on a hyzer. In other words the Pro Starfire has no middle ground. The Sidewinder and Orc seem more predictable to me. ymmv

Aug 15 2005, 01:42 AM
Starfire is a high speed disc. You'll find high speed discs hard to throw when you're distance is only 320ft. I'd say wait until you can at least 350 before you try high speed discs, and I think it'd be better to wait til you can throw 400 with a slower disc like an eagle or teebird, valk would be ok too.

AlmaWillie
Aug 15 2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks! I am getting the feeling that the Starfire is more advanced than I am. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Now you say hold off till I can get more distance, will this come as I play (I have advanced in the last 4-5 months from 250' to 280' avg.) or am I going to neesd to find a new technique to really get the D. I know you have no idea what my technique is, but does the D come with time or is it mostly technique?

Aug 15 2005, 01:40 PM
your distance will increase as your arm develops and as your technique improves. probably the best thing to do is go to a soccer field and practice throwing discs far over and over. And don't just throw drivers. learn to throw putters and midranges far too. if you have a friend to practice with -- throw putters to each other and try to back the other guy up.

also, practice getting good D while throwing 80% power

Aug 15 2005, 02:15 PM
i'm no big arm either, my farthest throws are around 325' and i throw a pro starfire with plenty of success. the key? beat it up a bit... once it gets worn in it's as flippy as a champion valk. pro plastic needs to be whooped into shape... then it becomes understable and flies more consistently.

Aug 15 2005, 02:47 PM
I agree, break the starfire in. Also, warm-up the arm (20 practice drives) before playing a round or throwing for distance. I throw a 175 chp orc and a 177 pro starfire. I get similar paths but the starfire out drives the orc almost every time. Even with equal weights. Practice when it's really windy, it helps.

If the disc starts to turn over even though your not throwing it with anny, you are advancing and you should start getting more distance.

Aug 15 2005, 02:54 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with a ProStarfire coming out of your grip and almost imediately (50-100') begin to fade? I bought one b/c the website says it is an excellent disc to add distance, which is what I need. With a Valkyrie, Eagle or Teebird I can avg. 280 and max 325'. With the starfire I have maxed at 220' after 15-20 throws. I feel like it is my form but don't have this problem with any other disc. It's like it is leaving my hand going left. Anyone have any ideas? Does it need a different grip or technique?

I find that my pro starfire flys best when release with a flat to slightly anhyzer release. The only problem I have found is as I increase snap on this disc its tends to want to hold that anhyzer angle and not come out. I max out at about 370 on flat ground and carry a sidewinder and a flash as my other drivers. I find for all out distance this one is starting to be the go to disc. Once it starts to to become as unpredictable as the sidewinder I'll have to move to something else. I see the sidewinder as a step below the pro starfire as its just as fast has as much glide but is more understable than the starfire. They all found a place in my bag for different reasons.

Good luck and keep practicing you'll get the distance with time.

DreaminTree
Aug 15 2005, 03:47 PM
If you are always throwing left and it is fading right away, you are probably letting the disc slip out of your hand and you arent getting any snap on it. The pro starfire has a slick, small grip compared to some of the other drivers you mentioned. Its probably just coming out of your hand early.

quickdisc
Aug 15 2005, 06:23 PM
Starfire is a high speed disc. You'll find high speed discs hard to throw when you're distance is only 320ft. I'd say wait until you can at least 350 before you try high speed discs, and I think it'd be better to wait til you can throw 400 with a slower disc like an eagle or teebird, valk would be ok too.

320 ? I only use a Pro Starfire , when the hole is 400 + /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

quickdisc
Aug 15 2005, 06:26 PM
My Pro Orc fades more than my Pro Starfire which is why i prefer the Pro Orc. The Pro Starfire either flies a long annie with some fade at the very end or it hyzers all the way. The Pro Orc will annie a long way and then fade (flex) at the end for me or it will stay pretty flat till the end or it will stay on a hyzer. In other words the Pro Starfire has no middle ground. The Sidewinder and Orc seem more predictable to me. ymmv

A broken in Pro Orc , is some players secret weapon.

A little bit of hyzer and it comes up flat .....and Hauls !!!!!!!!

I almost Aced my first 500+ hole the other day.
Wasn't even my disc. 168 gram , White , Pro Orc.

May have to get one of my own !!!!!! :eek:

Aug 15 2005, 08:22 PM
"Perfect practice makes perfect". If you get more D over time due to experience you are in actuallity getting more D because of better technique learned through trial and error. To get most D the quickest, learn about proper technique and try to incorporate that with your practice, you are bound to improve your D this way.

quickdisc
Aug 15 2005, 09:10 PM
Yea , I'd like to be able to throw 600+ on flat ground , without any wind !!!!