Aug 12 2005, 08:00 PM
Last week i tried using my first Run MRV for driving, and since then, it has become my go to disk for almost all straight drives on one local course. But every once and a while it will behave like no other disc ive ever thrown. It will fly a good 200' then fade to the left slightly (RHFH). now i dont know what could be causing this but im thinking it has something to do with my form. no other discs have ever done it, and its rare that it happens, but when it does its the oddest thing i have ever seen.

it flys flat out of my hand 4' off the ground, and as it slows down, it turns left. now if it was at high speeds i could understand, but it has always happned later in the flight.

i can even think of 2 times where ive thrown it higher, maybe 5-6' off the ground where it has pulled out of the left turn, gone flat for a while, and then faded right like it should.

its almost like the high speed turn happens 200' too late and only as the disc begins to slow down.

now this is extremely rare, and even when it does happen it only stays 10' or so from my intended line, but i still cant figure out whether its a problem with my form, or the disc itself.

any ideas?

oh, and the course is in the woods with absolutely no wind either...

Aug 13 2005, 12:17 AM
no one has any clue as to what this might be? 35 views so far and nothing...

slo
Aug 13 2005, 03:05 AM
How to throw a MRV (http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=67422&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

pnkgtr
Aug 13 2005, 04:52 AM
I've seen some weird nose-down throws that will neg. The disc drops faster with the nose down and the extra speed causes it to draw instead of fade.

Aug 13 2005, 12:27 PM
well like i said having it do this is extremely rare, so its not really an issue. i just wanted to know if its something im doing wrong, or if other people have experienced anything like it before.

i started to read that thread but i dont think i have the patience for 20 pages. personally, i get best distance with this disc throwing a flat line drive 4 feet off the ground and it goes perfectly straight with no fade most the time.

slo
Aug 13 2005, 03:09 PM
*heh* That was a bit of a joke, 9102...it's more like 90 pages of gibberish, with a common theme. :o

Aug 13 2005, 04:56 PM
My only guess is the MRV is a stable midrange, that its probably beat up a bit, and you're doing a good job getting the nose down and releasing it cleanly. The nose down clean release will make the disc fly very straight. If you're getting really good velocity and spin the turn will occur later in the flight. Since it is on such a low trajectory, nose down, beat up and a disc with little fade in the first place, it will not come out of that turn and end up curving to the left.

So two things that would help confirm this guess, is do you feel you put a good amount of spin on the disc when this happens? And also does it seriously look like a fading disc? You know, like increasingly fading more and more as it slows down. Or is it more of a consistent curve to the left?

hitec100
Aug 13 2005, 05:24 PM
well like i said having it do this is extremely rare, so its not really an issue. i just wanted to know if its something im doing wrong, or if other people have experienced anything like it before.

I've seen my straight-flying JLS fade in an unexpected direction with just the slightest breeze pushing it that way. With a stronger wind, the JLS is turned before the fade, so it's more obvious, but with a light breeze, the unexpected turn waits until the very end of its flight. Then, when it should fade in one direction, instead it fades in the other.

Maybe you're seeing the same effect?

Aug 13 2005, 09:14 PM
Are you noticing any flutter when you are throwing that MRV. When I throw forehands with my MRV if it doesn't leave my hand right then it will go out a little bit and then fade hard left. It doesn't happen with more overstable discs as the overstability compensates for the flutter.

Aug 14 2005, 02:55 AM
ya know, Jacks, i think your on the rigt track here. i do throw forhand with quite a bit of snap, and i sopose the disc wasnt flying quite slow enough to fade yet, so i guess i just some what delayed an understable turn because i put so much spin on the disc.

that seems like the most reasonable answer to me.

i just dont understand whay some times this happnes and sometimes it dosent. my guess is it only happnes when i really over power the disc to make it turn, and i also get a good snap which keeps it from turning straight out of my hand.

what really confused me about this was that it hasnt happned with any other under stable discs i throw. i have a beat TL and a fairly new Champion Stingray that i can clearly see the flip with, and this slight s bend to the right, after a straight and flat flight just threw me off.

thanks for the help. im actually getting a Z MRV tomorrow which will hopefully be able to stand up to all the power i can throw at it since its a tad more over stable, so i dont think i will have this problem any more.

Kenja
Aug 16 2005, 06:39 PM
You are probably seeing a hyzer-flip. Take a look at Blake T's flight paths in this article: http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/angles.shtml

Greg_R
Aug 16 2005, 08:26 PM
I've been working on my snap and can tell you that you are probably getting a lot more snap (to disc speed) on the left-fade throws. Go out in the field and experiment with disc speed vs snap. Extreme speed with no snap will result in a fluttery turn over to the right.