Aug 10 2005, 01:13 PM
I just wanted to see if I'm the only smart one to attempt to retool an already good drive into a new, hopefully better drive. I can basically throw 400 on a daily basis with my driver and just shy around 375 with my Roc. Im tall and have long arms so I naturally took to the pull back form from my ultimate style. I have been working on a more bent elbow technique in an attempt to get around 450. I have always been told my throw is smooth and thats what I want to change, I need to add more snap..The only problem is I chose to do it mid season, not that I have been playing that good as it is but my game is really stinking...anyone else atempt this change, and if so any suggestions..the problem is I want to throw the old way in a tourney because I know that style better, but thats not how you improve....

Jay

circle_2
Aug 10 2005, 01:18 PM
Try experimenting with grip strengths...when I can connect with a stronger grip, I see my disc has more/extra carry and glide.

Aug 10 2005, 01:21 PM
Yes and thats what I have plenty of carry and glide , but the lack of snap keeps the disc from spinnning out the extra bit of glide, I need a fine middle between the two. It's just a struggle playing in tournaments thats the main problem....

Jay

JohnKnudson
Aug 10 2005, 01:25 PM
Hey Jay,

I'm afraid my story is worse than yours! I decided to play around with my form recently. Not only did I lose distance, power, and accuracy, I also wound up hurting my arm, shoulder, and back in the process. It kind of sucks to be me at the moment. I don't have any advice to offer, but I can commiserate with you. Take care!

cbdiscpimp
Aug 10 2005, 01:25 PM
I would say work with what you have. If you have a smooth throw and can reach 400 why would you want to throw any further unless your in a distance competition???

cbdiscpimp
Aug 10 2005, 01:35 PM
Yes and thats what I have plenty of carry and glide , but the lack of snap keeps the disc from spinnning out the extra bit of glide, I need a fine middle between the two. It's just a struggle playing in tournaments thats the main problem...

If you can throw 400 you dont NEED anymore distance. You may WANT it but you for sure dont need it. I would say perfect what you have and then if your game doesnt improve from that. Then maybe try and get some more distance but all distance really does is give you a shorter upshot on the long holes and maybe gets you a few birdies that no one else is going to get. I suggest learning a roller because there arent many holes that you need to throw over 400 on that arent wide open. And if its over 400 and not wide open it isnt a duece hole anyway :D

Just my 2 cents

Aug 10 2005, 01:55 PM
Hey sorry about hurting your arm, I luckily have progressed slowly and have avoided any injurys, as for changing the style I would like to throw my Roc over 400, and just throw away all my drivers(just kidding) I admit my putting is the worst part of my game but hay after Tiger won all those majors I believe he retooled his drive..crazy?? I think not..not that Im Tiger..far from it but we all can improve on what we got..if I can drive 450 than I would say 400 would come real easy and be alot more accurate..my 2 cents

a bent elbow throw is an easier throw any how, once you can become consistant with it, I belive any way..I'm only bending at about a 30 degree right not nothing extreme..

Jay

cbdiscpimp
Aug 10 2005, 02:13 PM
I admit my putting is the worst part of my game

If the worst part of your game is putting then driving over 400 ft isnt going to help you anyway. I learned how to throw far first which was a mistake. I was the guy on the card parkin 420 ft holes and missing 20 ft putts. Just this year I actually learned how to putt and that alone has improved my game 10 fold.

Learn to make 90% of your putts from 20-30 ft and i promise you that will help your game more then throwing a Roc 400 ft :D

I go days without playing or throwing a drive but I make atelast 100 putts a day from 20-30ft and that is what helps my game. Now If I could just figure out how to drive again maybe I could move up to Open :D

Parkntwoputt
Aug 10 2005, 02:37 PM
... I would like to throw my Roc over 400....I admit my putting is the worst part of my game...
.....a bent elbow throw is an easier throw any how, once you can become consistant with it, I belive any way..I'm only bending at about a 30 degree right not nothing extreme..

Jay

<------Look at the login name! Parkntwoputt does not signify great golf. Like Steve, I could crush drives early on, and accurate. Being able to put the disc on demand inside 30ft of a 420ft hole is really impressive, until you dink the putt.

Practice putting, you are in the minority of golfers who can throw 400ft or more. I do agree that the further you can throw, say if you can throw 450, then yes, 400 is easier to hit accurately.

As far as your elbow goes, I am built similarly to you by what you describe. I use a deep reach back and a huge follow through. Bending your elbow at 30 degrees is what I do as well. All that bending your elbow more will do for you is make you snap your wrist more.

Alas! Snap your wrist, this is where the spin from the disc comes from. Imagine throwing a disc like you would snap a towel at someone. The only warning I give about snaping your wrist more is over exaggerating and breaking your wrist (not literally broken bones). When you break your wrist you will over tourqe the disc and the disc will flip over. The only discs that can withstand a wrist break are Whippets, Extremes and Demons, along with other pigs of that stability class.

As far as throwing Rocs 375ft, congrads, you have now entered A VERY SMALL MINORITY! I just pushed a Z-Wasp 390ft last week. Knowing that I can now throw a Wasp 390 but only throwing an Orc/Beast 460-480ft I know I must be doing something wrong. But I think it has more to do with how high I release the disc in relation to my chest, and the timing of my hip/shoulder turn to the rip point of my extension.

Best of luck.

Aug 10 2005, 03:01 PM
Ok already this thread was to discuss changing throwing styles in tourneys and mid season, not to critic my style. I know I should putt most and thats what I do..I putt more than anything..but that doesnt change the fact that I would like to improve upon my driving..I look at it this way I could throw 350 from the get go, I never change or tryed to improve upon my drive, I figure why the hell not if it works more power to me, yes I still need to putt to get the score but I just wanted to see if anyone else was struggling through the changes and if they were rewarded in the end that was all..

Jay

JohnKnudson
Aug 10 2005, 03:04 PM
On second thought, Jay, I have one small bit of advice. Whenever I try something new, it helps me to throw in a field until whatever I am trying feels comfortable. This is similar to hitting the driving range in golf, I suppose. Whenever you make a change (eg, new grip, new run-up, or new elbow angle), it is normal to struggle on the course until this change becomes natural. It is one of those "one step backward, two steps forward" kind of things.

Znash
Aug 10 2005, 04:37 PM
I go days without playing or throwing a drive but I make atelast 100 putts a day from 20-30ft and that is what helps my game. Now If I could just figure out how to drive again maybe I could move up to Open :D

All you have to do is put the key in ignition and turn it Steve. It also helps if you stay awake will driving. Is that a tree!!! :D

cbdiscpimp
Aug 10 2005, 04:45 PM
All you have to do is put the key in ignition and turn it Steve. It also helps if you stay awake will driving. Is that a tree!!!

Even when my driving sucks I still beat you!!! So maybe you should learn how to drive AND putt :eek: :D

Znash
Aug 10 2005, 04:58 PM
Shout up pimp I'm doing my best, stop welling at me, get out of my head, 30 footer------donk, tre-fity, nice shot sort di<font color="black">ck.</font>

Znash
Aug 10 2005, 04:59 PM
:D:D:D:cool::o:confused: :eek: :mad:/msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif ;) :p :D :D:D

Aug 10 2005, 05:10 PM
Jay,
When I switched to an X-step, I had a huge drop off in distance. It was hugely frustrating. With practice, the X-step quickly became more accurate and longer than what I was doing before.

I cannot comment on the bent elbow change though. I use a straight reachback style that works for me.

Whenever you change something it is going to be a struggle, but if it something that is tried and true to be better form, in the end you will be better off.....

Parkntwoputt
Aug 11 2005, 08:24 AM
Changing anything mid season will temporarily hurt your perfromance. But you will eventually reap what you sow. If you desire is to truly get better and you are willing to accept lackluster performance, go ahead and change your drive.

Remember to snap your wrist more, that will give you more glide in addition to the power you are using.

But I never change anything mid season. I usually wait until my off season which is from Thanksgiving to Valentines day (yeah the south is nice like that). But if you are going to change a part of your style or form, do it and stick with it. Don't do a new thing in practice and your old technique in a tournament. It will only hinder your muscle memory.

Best of luck with your new technique, have you considered a 360 run-up for added distance?

ChrisWoj
Aug 11 2005, 10:17 AM
I usually wait until my off season which is from Thanksgiving to Valentines day (yeah the south is nice like that).

Does anybody dare name a tournament a 'Throw in the Snow' in Florida? I swear I'd move there just to hold a tournament with that name...

Aug 11 2005, 05:41 PM
This is true if you live in the south you can still go outside and throw in a field..I'm from Chicago so I don't have that luxary..however I have been working in Nor Cal for the pas year so I gues I could have done this earlier..but I never said I was smart..it's such small changes to my throw that I think in a week or two I'll be fine..
Jay

Aug 12 2005, 12:43 AM
not trying to jack this thread into being mine, but I'm trying to change my throwing style as well. I picked up an elite xl and a pro first run teebird, trying to fix errors in my throwing style, but when i slow everything down enough that I can throw those, i can only get them out to about 250...I normally will throw a wasp or roc on holes that length :confused: Do I just keep working on those?

This may be more equipment related, but should the XL be much more understable than the TB??

Greg_R
Aug 16 2005, 08:31 PM
The XLs and TBs that I use seem to be in the same stability ballpark. I'd suggest throwing exclusively putters (or putt-approaches) to analyze your form. I am in the process of revising my form and the putt-approach discs really highlight any sort of issues (flutter from dirty release, uneven pull through, wrong timing, etc., etc.). I've been throwing a bunch of wizards, challengers, aviars, rocs, and MRVs during practice. I'll throw a few drivers toward the end and am seeing definite improvement. An added benefit is that my approach game is getting a lot better.

Aug 16 2005, 08:50 PM
I throw putters a lot, but I throw my beat in ROC even more....I'm trying to get myself to throw the putter(pro-line rhyno) more, especially anything shorter than 240.