Aug 08 2005, 11:55 PM
In the last year I have thrown as my main Drivers 165 -170g Orcs and Beasts. I got a Sidewinder a couple of months ago. I thought it was an alright Disc. Threw it sparingly but really didn't think it would be a regular in my Bag. That is up until about 3 weeks ago. I drove off a long hole with the Sidewinder and put it at a distance I had never thrown before with my Orc or Beast. It just held the line like no other Disc.

I just lost it 2 days ago and I am in haste to buy another tomorrow.
A great Disc. And when I first heard some of you how it flies farther than the Orc and Beast I just scoffed. I thought it was people being full of hot air.
But this is actually true !!! Put a little hyzer angle at release and this understable Disc will hold the line forever !!! And now I can't even get close to it with my Orc.

Yes, I am now a believer

:D

Aug 09 2005, 12:12 AM
Sounds like you have learned the "hyzer flip" and that is a good thing...

Much better than "strong arming" off the tee and having your disc come back left to take off more distance.

congrats!!

Aug 09 2005, 05:22 AM
im a new fan of the hyzer flip as well. My 150 valk actually can fly straight for a ways!

Aug 09 2005, 10:12 AM
Sidewinder is my favorite disc in my bag. I guess that makes it my favorite disc in production :)

riverdog
Aug 09 2005, 11:46 AM
150g Sidewinders and 150g Valks - when ya just absolutely, positively have to have that hyzer flip - priceless! :D

cbdiscpimp
Aug 09 2005, 11:49 AM
150g Sidewinders and 150g Valks - when ya just absolutely, positively have to have that hyzer flip - priceless!

Doesnt EVERYTHING in 150 class hyzer flip???

kostar
Aug 09 2005, 11:58 AM
Whats all this talk about using a disc to turn right off the tee. My understanding is "making" the disc turn right is more the skill you want. Flippy discs off the shelf are for rolling!

brookep
Aug 09 2005, 12:25 PM
I have a 150 Talon that doesn't hyzer flip.

Aug 09 2005, 12:49 PM
I have a 125g Spirit that doesn't hyzer flip.

riverdog
Aug 09 2005, 12:52 PM
Steve, it's all relative. Most of the cousins, brothers and sisters I grew up with are now in their 50's and 60's. For the most part these relatives are involved in some pretty serious TV remote control isometrics. While their thumb range of motion is quite impressive they have lost that critical fraction of a second of response time on channel changes. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I probably shouldn't smirk at their methods since I don't throw much max weight plastic anymore either. :o ;) :D

cbdiscpimp
Aug 09 2005, 12:58 PM
I have a 125g Spirit that doesn't hyzer flip.

This I believe. I threw a 121 Spirit that came out of a sky roller line. It was rediculous :eek:

m_conners
Aug 09 2005, 02:37 PM
The Sidewinder has been in my bag for a while now, I love it for rollers and turnovers....If you get one to fly right with the "hyzer flip" it will go really long, to me it's a little inconsistent about coming back after it flips over though.

Boneman
Aug 09 2005, 02:39 PM
I shot an Ace off the tee (Glenwood Springs CO, #18 -- 249 ft. tunnel shot) with a 160g Sidewinder last Friday. I'm a believer too!

Aug 09 2005, 04:53 PM
A flippy disc, released with hyzer, will flip but with the right amount of power etc, will flip into a straight flight. So I dont think anyone was talking of going right.....

Aug 09 2005, 09:19 PM
it's a little inconsistent about coming back after it flips over though.

Which is how my sidewinder ended up in a lake.... she just kept turning and turning and turning and splash!

Aug 10 2005, 01:27 AM
I liked it when i first started playing but now it is in my trunk you throw it with any kind of power and boom its going a long ways right.It also seemed to be a little inconsistant(did i spell that right) on when it will come back. If you have a very long very wide hole just give it a nice pull if you like to throw it.

Aug 10 2005, 01:38 AM
keep the the faith bro. sideWiders ROCK.

Aug 10 2005, 10:59 AM
I liked it when i first started playing but now it is in my trunk you throw it with any kind of power and boom its going a long ways right.It also seemed to be a little inconsistant(did i spell that right) on when it will come back. If you have a very long very wide hole just give it a nice pull if you like to throw it.

You must be releasing it on a flat or anhyzer line then. I can throw the Sidewinder with hyzer release 420ft on a straight line path with a little fade to the left on the end. You gotta have power on it to get it out that far on a straight line. Thats without turning it over at all. Its a 167g also.

Sharky
Aug 10 2005, 11:07 AM
Amen :cool:

jugggg
Aug 10 2005, 11:19 AM
I second that emotion... They are so effortless to throw and go straight a LONG way. For me anyhoo

:D

Aug 10 2005, 11:46 AM
I'm a big fan of the sidewinder, got a 150 and a 174. At league the other night I laid out the most beatiful shot, just to the left of some trees, low and hard under the branches, past the grass, hit the dirt mound under the tee for a dramatic landing /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I think I got the CTP on that whole, 2 and half feet away. Have to wait til next week. The sidewinder is just a sweet disc.

kostar
Aug 10 2005, 12:22 PM
So if you throw something stable flat it will go straight. Why the need for a flippy driver?

Aug 10 2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, you can throw something stable flat but if you throw a flippy driver with hyzer it will hold the line while flipping then continue to hold the line while flying and it just holds a straight line better. Thats MY experience.

For example, I have a slightly flippy CE VAlk that if thrown with Hyzer will hold a straight line forever. However, I have a stable Teebird that if thrown flat it will hold a straight line but as it slows, it will come back left.

Aug 10 2005, 08:16 PM
I've only ever had one disc I could throw 300' with any consistency - a 150 Champion Valk. My 150 SW will go about the same distance, but with more fade at the end...essential if there's any headwind or danger on the right.

Aug 10 2005, 11:23 PM
So if you throw something stable flat it will go straight. Why the need for a flippy driver?

up hill shots bro, down hill, bad sidewider

Aug 15 2005, 04:38 AM
Whats all this talk about using a disc to turn right off the tee. My understanding is "making" the disc turn right is more the skill you want. Flippy discs off the shelf are for rolling!

Exactly !!!

Aug 15 2005, 04:39 AM
150g Sidewinders and 150g Valks - when ya just absolutely, positively have to have that hyzer flip - priceless!

Pretty much :D

Aug 15 2005, 01:35 PM

Pretty much :D

My 150 Z-Flick doesn't hyzer flip :eek:

I love 150 plastic though. Great downwind. Put a little air under a 150 Champ Valk with the wind and watch the goodness!

Aug 16 2005, 12:08 AM
Although Hyzer flips are great shots I'd Reserve this shot for those that have their Mechanics down Completely. IT is easier to throw a disc flat then it is to Know just the right hyzer angle/speed to get somethign flippy to hyzerflip right.
That being said I'm currently workign on my hyzerflip and I really like having that shot in the bag, especially for distance shots.

I threw a Sidewinder Before a tournament Yesterday. My friend tossed me one out of his bag and i tossed it on a 385foot hole.. It's basically a dead straight to Anny hole. I threw the sidewinder lightly on a hyzer and it flipped over, picked up some height, and flexed both ways landing about 20feet from the basket and long.
Very nice disc and I might even add one to my bag.

-Scott Lewis

bruce_brakel
Sep 05 2005, 05:51 PM
Has anyone noticed that the more recent Sidewinders are much less understable than the earlier runs? I went out to play Saturday and forgot my bag so I took a new Sidewinder out of the merch boxes. I think I could throw that disc right handed! Is it an anomoly or are they all like this?

Sep 05 2005, 11:42 PM
I have 3, two are 175's and the other is a 174g. One is the proto star stamp and the other two are regular. They all fly about the same. If there is no wind, I can crank these flat and they will S curve nicely out to about 400'. If there is a slight headwind a hyzer release is necessary. I find that the best shots for the sidewinder are drives you don't want to go left. A flat release will pretty much guarantee you a spot right of the hole.

discdawg
Sep 05 2005, 11:56 PM
I definitely think the earlier runs are more Valkish. The only one I keep in my bag is the 1st run star stamp. Anything after that has gone to the practice bin, as I'd rather just use a Leopard. Not trying to diss the SW, as I do like the disc overall, but for me the Leopard just seems to fit the anny role a bit better. Gotta have some faith in the older molds sometimes...

luckyg71
Sep 06 2005, 01:02 PM
I love my sidewinder too. its a 166 and I have had it around 2 months. I have noticed that I have started to make it turn right alot. It used to just go straight. I dont know if it is the disc or my technique. Any idea??

bruce_brakel
Sep 13 2005, 06:15 PM
Kira found out last night that she can throw a 150 Sidewinder 30 farther than any other driver she has tried. This is the best chick driver ever, other than maybe the First Run 150 Flick, but they promptly forgot how to make those...

sandalman
Sep 13 2005, 06:19 PM
the 2005 Ace Race disc will soon be known as the best chick driver yet.

are you looking for 150 Flicks?

Sep 13 2005, 06:28 PM
Ohhh...I'm going to play in our local Ace Race event. Will they have any of the 150's??? My girlfriend is consistently frustarated with her lack of D of the teepad.

I'll drag her along, if they'll have some 150's.

Keith

LouMoreno
Sep 13 2005, 06:44 PM
The lowest weight I received for Austin was 165g.

bruce_brakel
Sep 13 2005, 07:07 PM
the 2005 Ace Race disc will soon be known as the best chick driver yet.

are you looking for 150 Flicks?

First runs, yes. Later runs are stable. First runs would gently turn over for me, or go very far straight thrown with less power.

Dec 28 2005, 06:45 PM
The new star plastic is not so understable for me.

quickdisc
Dec 28 2005, 07:51 PM
:D Mine too !!!!! My new Star Sidewinder is a bit more stable.

mattdisc
Dec 29 2005, 09:40 AM
My Starwinder is a bit more stable (170g) than my champ winder, flies like a dx valk with more glide :D

AviarX
Dec 29 2005, 10:44 AM
I love my sidewinder too. its a 166 and I have had it around 2 months. I have noticed that I have started to make it turn right alot. It used to just go straight. I dont know if it is the disc or my technique. Any idea??

when i first received my Champ Sidewinder i was surprised how resistant to turning it was and how much low speed stability it had. It only took a day or two before it began to turn more and more. Now, it isn't anything like it was when it was brand new. It takes a little while for a disc to break in... especially candy plastic

greenbeard
Dec 29 2005, 11:50 AM
I've got about five or six sidewinders that are collecting dust because I found the roadrunner absolutely owns.

discchucker
Dec 29 2005, 11:53 AM
The roadrunner is a sweet disc...would love one in the star plastic...my first throw with one I parked a 400 ft downhill tunnel hole.

I am in agreement about the starwinder being like a valk when it is brand new...but with better glide.

Chainiac
Dec 31 2005, 09:39 PM
I just picked up a roadrunner and in limited use would say it's more understable than the Sidewinder. That's why I carry a Sidewinder. I want the disc to turn to the right (rhbh). The Sidewinder gave me the distance I was looking for but I couldn't get any consistancy out of it. Sometimes I could get it to turn over a lot, sometimes a little, but quite often I wasn't sure. I don't always have the confidence it's going to do what I want it to do. Still to early to tell what the Roadrunner will do for me but I'll give it some more time. Why struggle to turn over a Sidewinder as much as you may need it to when a Roadrunner will turn over much easier :eek:.

Jan 01 2006, 06:41 PM
A while back I really got tired of seeing and hearing about the SW. Well I found one (no name) and put it to the test with my beat Orc. SW went 20' further 10/10 times just as straight (middle of fairway). I also found that it holds a very fun hyzer angle for long left turns in a calm. Very long with slight tailwind. Par-3'd a couple of 700+ holes that are not very open. That's good for 46 yrs old, in pain...

Jan 02 2006, 02:11 PM
Been carrying the SW's since they came out. I dont like to roll but i they do well. Now i got the 150 class and it works great with less effort i go as far as the 170 weights. The thing i like most is the center of the disc the flat part ( sure it has a name there) is not flimsy like the Beasts, Valks, etc. Due to the thinner rim on the edge. I throw SWs on more than 50% of my drives, depending on the course layout, OF course :D
Havent tried my Star SW yet.

Bud