Aug 08 2005, 11:12 AM
Right now, I only drive sidearm with my Orc. I tried backhand for awhile right after I got it, but I couldn't get the hang of it. I drive much longer going sidearm, but people tell me that I should learn to drive backhand, too. Any suggestions? <font color="black"> </font>

Aug 08 2005, 02:50 PM
If you arent getting the power or snap with your backhand, try a lighter weight Orc (if thats the driver you wanna use) and go out to a field and just throw.

Its takes time to get your technique down (throwing backhand) but when you do, I bet you'll be throwing further backhand than forehand.

Aug 08 2005, 10:24 PM
Alright because my Orc is 175, so I might look and see how much lighter I can find an Orc. I figured that I would have to just play and see what happens. Thanks a lot.

Aug 09 2005, 03:47 AM
Funny that you mention it.. my favorite driver is a 175 orc and I throw it both forehand and backhand. However, the orc is not a good disc to learn a backhand with (imo). I too threw mainly sidearm starting out, it took me quite a while to figure out how to throw backhand. What helped me the most was experiementing with my grip (I have tried a 2 finger grip, 3 fingers, power grip and fan grip).

It helps to find a disc that feels comfortable in your hand. For me, the KC Pro Gazelle really helped me learn good technique. Once I was able to throw it straight, I was able to start throwing more stable discs like the Orc much more consistently.

Aug 09 2005, 11:50 AM
Alright, thanks. I thought that I would just have to play with grips and just throw backhand and learn better form backhand. Thanks for your advice.

Aug 10 2005, 01:16 PM
I have a KC Pro Gazelle (think it's champion plastic). It's a good solid disc. It's good for back hand, I'd recommend it.

I throw that and a sidewinder. Back hand doesn't get near as much speed as a side arm, something to keep in mind.

Aug 10 2005, 01:34 PM
I've been playing for 5 years, and also started with a sidearm drive. I can still outdrive my backhand with my forehand, but have improved my backhand enough to use it when I need to. I suggest trying something like a Valkyrie for your backhand.

Aug 10 2005, 01:50 PM
I too recommend the valkryie as a good beginner backhand driver. can you backhand with midranges? read discgolfreview.com's throwing tips articles! i've learned a big part of a proper backhand is having a good run up that allows everything else to fall into place smoothly and powerfully. my 2 cents.

toohigh
Aug 12 2005, 11:44 AM
I'm pretty much all flick too. I can sidearm an orc about 350'. Missionary (BH) about 2/3 of that. It took me for even to build up the backend to match my flick. I'd suggest a valk or express for learning the backhand. Then move into maybe an eagle before the orc.

BTW, with the sidewinder and express...I can turn over all kinds of shots to replace my backhand. I only use the BH to give my arm a break on big drives if the course calls for it.

have fun,
...nick

quickdisc
Aug 15 2005, 10:32 PM
I can do OK , sidearm with a Pro StarFire....

quickdisc
Aug 15 2005, 11:00 PM
Threw some this past Friday.
I had a georgous little oriental gal as my doubles partner.

She complemented me and smiled on my nice shots !!!!! :o

She also threw sidearm pretty good !!!!!
Great attitude , smart , funny and good looking !!!!!!

It was tough for me to sit down at times !!!! :eek:
Just Kidding !!!!! :D