Aug 05 2005, 02:03 AM
I'm pretty new to the game of disc golf. I've been playing for about 5 months. I've gotten to where I can shoot par to 4-5 over consistentl, and I think adding a few new shots would trim a few strokes. I'd like to add a few specialty throws to my game and was looking for advice on how to (ie. angle of release and flight pattern to look for etc), and what discs to use for certain throws such as:

1. tomahawk
2. thumber
3. pancake
4. roller bh and fh
5. spike hyzer (i'm not sure what this is)
6. scoobie
7. other specialty shots that don't get mentioned

I throw mainly rhbh, but frequently (15-20%) rhfh on drives and approaches.

Aug 05 2005, 02:17 AM
I'm pretty new to the game of disc golf. I've been playing for about 5 months. I've gotten to where I can shoot par to 4-5 over consistentl, and I think adding a few new shots would trim a few strokes. I'd like to add a few specialty throws to my game and was looking for advice on how to (ie. angle of release and flight pattern to look for etc), and what discs to use for certain throws such as:

1. tomahawk: <font color="red"> You would mostly use something stable like a firebird/Monster/etc.. defiantely a driver and a stable one.. They come out of their turns quicker and seem more forgiving when you throw them. THis is basically like a baseball pitch type throw. you can play around with angles, but i like to have the disc like this: \ when i toss it. That way it turns early. </font>
2. thumber <font color="red"> I don't throw these, but i'd think the same idsc.. you are only changing your grip and angle. </font>
3. pancake <font color="red"> If i remember correctly this is basically landing a disc upside down so it slides. YOu can use anything for this shot. I usually use a putter for closer shots and put a big angle on it.. almost like this: - as a small overhand shot. </font>
4. roller bh and fh <font color="red"> I'd suggest something really understable and beat in.. LIke a stingray or beat to hell teebird/gazelle/etc. YOu want to release it on an annehyzer and let it work it's magic.. that's the best way to learn to roll. watch a pro do it as well. </font>
5. spike hyzer <font color="red"> Spike hyzer is basically a Hyzer shot(sho t that goes from right to left) that is thrown way up in the air and "Spikes" down toward the ground. Overstable discs work great for this shot(firebird/monster/etc) </font>
6. scoobie <font color="red"> NOt sure exactly what this one is, but probably an overstable disc :) </font>

I throw mainly rhbh, but frequently (15-20%) rhfh on drives and approaches.

<font color="red"> For Forehand Rollers i throw something stable and force it into the ground. Tough shot for distance, but great shot for bad lies and can be very very useful up close.. for relaly close shots you can even use a putter(50foot roller to get around/under brush) </font>

-Scott Lewis

tjmarch
Aug 05 2005, 10:18 AM
6. scoobie <font color="red"> NOt sure exactly what this one is, but probably an overstable disc :) </font>

6. If you are talking about the scoober (ulti-speak), it is similar to a hammer (ulti-speak) / tomahawk but the arm is brought infront & across of the body & its thrown from near the left shoulder. Not much power - arm only, so maybe only use your putter as its only for short throws.

7. Two I can think of:
Push pass (ultimate again) - short (can be high) throw, thrown with clockwise spin from right hand side of body (RH thrower)
Upside down throw - try throwing your discs upside down & see what effect the wind has. (Grip backhand with disc upside down & thumb on rim). Watch the skips & rolls. I've also upside down putted in wind. Nice dip into the basket. Most discs will work.

Not saying you are going to use them every round, but if you want something else to work on...(apart from driving & putting)
Otherwise what Scott said.

Tim.

Aug 05 2005, 10:54 AM
I throw quite a few short, overhand rollers that I'll use to get out of trouble. Learning how your different discs will act when thrown vertically with a little wrist flick can save a few pars, especally if you have trouble hitting the fairway like I do.

shanest
Aug 05 2005, 12:07 PM

6. If you are talking about the scoober (ulti-speak), it is similar to a hammer (ulti-speak) / tomahawk but the arm is brought infront & across of the body & its thrown from near the left shoulder. Not much power - arm only, so maybe only use your putter as its only for short throws.

7. Two I can think of:
Push pass (ultimate again) - short (can be high) throw, thrown with clockwise spin from right hand side of body (RH thrower)
Upside down throw - try throwing your discs upside down & see what effect the wind has. (Grip backhand with disc upside down & thumb on rim). Watch the skips & rolls. I've also upside down putted in wind. Nice dip into the basket. Most discs will work.

Not saying you are going to use them every round, but if you want something else to work on...(apart from driving & putting)
Otherwise what Scott said.

Tim.

From what I understand, a Scoobie is where you hold the disc in a normal BH grip, but instead curl your arm so that your wrist is next to (on the right side) of your shoulder and release the disc vertically. Its flight resembles a thumber but it is most often used for short quick rollers that must turn hard right very quickly.

A grenade is a good specialty shot. Throw an overstable disc upside down (same motion, but your thumb is on the rim and your fingers are on the flight plate). It will turn vertical and stay vertical instead of continuing to flip

vwkeepontruckin
Aug 05 2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah, the grenade is awesome for getting out of trouble. And when you are in the crap with nothing but a super low out, skidding your putter upside down can save some strokes. Putters work best b/c drivers tend to have the rim flip over and you get skips long before you want one.

Aug 05 2005, 04:17 PM
There's some articles here about the hammer/tommy and rollers. Plus if you don't know about this site already, you're gonna want to bookmark it. Top notch information. Blake T runs it and posts here quite a bit.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml

Aug 05 2005, 04:26 PM
Grenade works great for 150 to 200 ft, I use an aviar for shorter, and a roc for little longer, I driver can be used but hurts sometimes, and no real need. the release depends on if u want it straight up and down or up and slight left or up and slight right they all work.

a thumb roller is another sharp turning left to right roller. stable fb works best

Jay

junnila
Aug 05 2005, 05:00 PM
Throw a disc at a brick wall for 10 minutes (d plastic), then throw a gernade, it will actually stand up and fly flat. Not a very useful shot but it comes in handy once in a while.

Aug 05 2005, 05:37 PM
Is there any pictures or video of someone throwing a grenade, scooby, or the awesomely named chicken wing? I just can't grasp how to throw any of those.

Aug 06 2005, 01:53 AM
thanks for the input everybody.

About the scoobie. Back when I got into the game in march, I was living in Augusta, GA when a pro tournament came through. Me and my buddy went out the thursday before, and joined up with two somewhat older guys. "I'm Snapper (later to find out Pierson)", the first guy said. He used a lot of these terms, and showed us how to throw several shots. Considering I had about 4 discs at the time and didn't know which ones did what I had no clue what to make of it all. If only I could have picked his brain now. Anyway the description of the scoobie shanest gave is what he showed us, I just had no idea what he was throwing.

Really the only thing I picked up on was a bh roller, which I throw hit or miss. He told me to plant with my back to the target and arch my back and let her go a little anhyzer (at least I knew that term at the time).

sorry to ramble

Aug 06 2005, 02:42 AM
Is there any pictures or video of someone throwing a grenade, scooby, or the awesomely named chicken wing? I just can't grasp how to throw any of those.

Keep in mind that these techniques do not lend them selves to maximum distance. They are not the most efficent way to throw discs and are sometimes quite akward.

In the disc golf world I have yet to find a time where I've had the desire to throw the chicken wing. I threw it all the time while playing ultimate. You can get pretty good D out of an Ultrastar with it, though.

For the grip, you put your thumb underneath the disc and fan your fingers on the top of the disc. Keeping your arm fairly straight and your wrist cocked you bring your arm back and off to your right (for a right handed player) and the disc oriented right side up. You then whip your arm around and bend your elbow as you follow through.

In other words, grab the disc as if you were going to throw it sidearm. Then you just invert your arm and the disc so your forearm is pointed downwards and the flight plate is pointed upwards (i.e. the disc is right side up) and place your index finger along the rim of the disc. You throw the disc kind of the way you see discus throwers throw in the Olypmics but you make sure to snap your wrist.

Again, I'm not sure there's a really good reason for a compeditive disc golfer to use this techinique, but it's one of the best things to learn for Ultimate. It's nearly impossible for a defender to block it. The grip feels quite a bit more natural on an Ultrastar than it does on a higer speed driver. It is easy to get a great roller out of it, though.

I have a friend that throws a shot that I have yet to hear a name for. He'll use a chicken wing grip but throw backhand with and air bounce type motion. It isn't that great of a throw for disc golf, but it's easy to pull off for short throws right after you catch a disc. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows a name for it.

A grenade is a throw where you use a power grip, but turn the disc upside down. You'll keep your arm the same way but throw the disc upside down. The distance potential is really low, but it's a good way to get the disc to go a little way and then stop. Personally, I don't use it that much. I'm more comfortable using an underhand throw with a power grip. I've acutally hit a few putts this way just goofing around after missing my real putt.

I hope this helps some. I've been trying to find fun ways to throw discs since I was little.

Aug 06 2005, 12:23 PM
Those helped out a lot, but don't think i'll ever use them :) thanks though

discette
Aug 06 2005, 01:41 PM
There are photos of grips under Dave's Tips (http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html) on the INNOVA website.

paerley
Aug 06 2005, 10:51 PM
I have a friend that throws a shot that I have yet to hear a name for. He'll use a chicken wing grip but throw backhand with and air bounce type motion. It isn't that great of a throw for disc golf, but it's easy to pull off for short throws right after you catch a disc. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows a name for it.

I used this shot as a midfielder in ultimate to catch and throw the disc in mid air(usually a floater to me, and I'd catch and dump to the other midfielder.)

There is a guy here in western michigan (plays flip city leagues if you want to chase him down, his name is bruce) that throws it and everyone around here calls it the buffalo wing. He can do some crazy hyzer flips with that using a beat in leopard or gazelle. It goes like 150 feet before starting to turn left. If he throws it level, it'll become a good 'side arm' roller.

quickdisc
Sep 02 2005, 08:43 PM
Hmmmmm.........what to throw ?

A Pro-line Orc ? Thrown with hyzer , comes up flat , drifts left.

A Pro-line StarFire ? Thrown with anhyzer , comes up flat ,drifts left.

Any suggestions ? :confused:

Sep 03 2005, 01:55 AM
how about neither disc??
Pro-line orcs are discontinued so don't get too attached to them..

Your best bet is to pick 1 driver mold that you are comfortable with and get them in differnt plastics.. Like a Teebird for example :)
Champion or 11x Plastic is Pretty **** Stable.. Great for Flat to Hyzer shots..
Beat them in for a year and you can get a decent Flat/turn driver.
Get it in Pro(Pro TL unfortunately) and you have a turnover/roller or get it in DX and you can beat them in quickly.

I don't much like highspeed drivers... I guess because i have a big control problem that i'm still working on. I like the consitency from slower drivers and i like discs that dont' have to Turn and fade too much. I'd rather them go straight.

-Scott Lewis

Sep 03 2005, 02:05 AM
when i first started out playing disc golf i got a pretty good aproach shot throwing like a side arm thumber. it was the same grip as a thumber roller, but i threw it with the same motion as a regular forehand drive. it was just with my wrist turned up more because my thumb was under the disc instead of 2 fingers.. has anyone every used this shot? i havent tried it since, but i remember for a newb with a 150 shark it was great....

Sep 03 2005, 03:09 AM
when i first started at the end of april 2003 I was told that i should try to learn to flick because there is a better learning curve and you will get more distance with a flick at first... I learned how to tomahawk as well while i was learning to throw a backhand.. I started to learn the backhand.. then i started to add a hop to my step because i didn't kno whow to X-step yet..
I then tried throwing lefty and that taught me how to X-step righty..
Then one day I was playing with PIMPY! and i just wanted to try and get a lot of snap and i threw a drive over 400...
Since then i've lost distance, but gained accuracy..

anyway..
i never really got into thumbers and i basically throw all backhands for drives and approaches because they just seem more accurate to me.

-Scott Lewis

greenbeard
Sep 03 2005, 03:20 PM
I throw alot of midrange tomahawks with a 172 Monster. Mine are very different from others that I've seen, mainly due to my release being almost verticle (right over my head). I also aim about 15 feet to the left and short of the basket (I'm a lefty), and this usually ends up in an uuber park job far better than roc shots... for me anywho. I never have a problem with hitting things high, because it doesn't get much higher than ten feet or so off the ground. I get alot of flak for throwing it, but its gold a good portion of the time, as long as its low and flat on the beginning of the flight. I've had some sexy skip in shots with it, so I'll keep using it.

I found an Epic this week that is mightily dogged, so we'll see if that's truely THE tommy disc.