Aug 03 2005, 05:35 PM
sorry if this subject has been posted before ( i tried searching for a thread and didnt find one).
WHy are Champion Rocs so expensive?
I thought on Ebay i would able to get one cheap but they are anywhere from $25 to $201 - not a typo. some nostalgic fool is willing to pay $201.00 for 179 grams of mystery plastic with a sentimental stamp on it! Check it out - go to ebay type in Champion Roc on the search engine and you'll see it.
if someone could at least shed some light as to why Champion edition rocs are so expensive right now i would greatly aprreciate it.

jah praises.
:cool:

junnila
Aug 03 2005, 05:38 PM
There will always be people who spend way to much on these discs, I don't understand why because not one single touring pro throws them.

m_conners
Aug 03 2005, 05:39 PM
They have a cult following...I grab a few when they come out and put em' away, much cheaper that way...some people are simply collectors and are willing to pay more for certain molds...$200+ is probably a 2001 CE Roc.

girlie
Aug 03 2005, 05:41 PM
CE ROCs are made for one purpose only, to support the USDGC. They are $25 when you buy them from ZoneDriven in support of the championships. Some ROCs from previous years are very sought after, especially from 2001.

my_hero
Aug 03 2005, 05:45 PM
some nostalgic fool is willing to pay $201.00 for 179 grams of mystery plastic with a sentimental stamp on it

You obviously missed the 2001 Ice CE ROC that went for $560....not a typo either....$560ish!!!!!

Aug 03 2005, 06:21 PM
CE ROCs are made for one purpose only, to support the USDGC. They are $25 when you buy them from ZoneDriven in support of the championships. Some ROCs from previous years are very sought after, especially from 2001.

To elaborate, there is a fairly limited numbe of them that are produced every year and they're usually all sold within the first week or two for $25 a pop. The only way to really get them after that is to pay those outrageous prices on ebay and you're almost guaranteed to pay much more than $25. They're collectors' discs that are in short supply so they end up expensive.

quickdisc
Aug 03 2005, 06:26 PM

To elaborate, there is a fairly limited numbe of them that are produced every year and they're usually all sold within the first week or two for $25 a pop. The only way to really get them after that is to pay those outrageous prices on ebay and you're almost guaranteed to pay much more than $25. They're collectors' discs that are in short supply so they end up expensive.

Awesome , when someone hands you $150.00 a piece for 170 + !!!!!:http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/halm.gif

Aug 03 2005, 06:28 PM
thanks that does answer my question. does it fly any better than the dx or pro models? i love my roc but its getting all banged up from hitting stuff

Moderator005
Aug 03 2005, 06:31 PM
There will always be people who spend way to much on these discs, I don't understand why because not one single touring pro throws them.

Maybe not nowadays, but I bet you that many touring pros threw the 2001 CE Roc when it came out. I know a lot of good golfers who maybe aren't touring pros but still throw that disc. Many claim it's one of the best discs ever made.

my_hero
Aug 03 2005, 06:31 PM
Thats the thing...CE doesnt get banged up. For a cheap alternative try a Z-Wasp...it's a $15 CE roc :)

Aug 03 2005, 06:34 PM
I would love a champion roc ... but will not pay that much for a disc.

In light of the price, and the fact that a Z- Wasp lasts forever, fills the same spot in the bag, and only costs about $15 ... I guess I just cannot understand it either.

But I really like my Z-Wasp.

cbdiscpimp
Aug 03 2005, 06:35 PM
Thats the thing...CE doesnt get banged up. For a cheap alternative try a Z-Wasp...it's a $15 CE roc

Funny you say that. The reason I tried a Z Wasp was because someone told me it was a cheap alternative to the CE Roc and the reason I tried all the other Discraft was because I loved the feel of the Z Wasp. So I guess the reason I switched to Discraft was because I wanted a cheaper CE Roc and found out Discraft made discs I liked alot more then what I was throwing :D

crotts
Aug 03 2005, 06:36 PM
i've broken in a z wasp in about 8 months before.

I like my ch. rocs. and it does support an awesome tournament.

: ) :

my_hero
Aug 03 2005, 06:41 PM
Thats the thing...CE doesnt get banged up. For a cheap alternative try a Z-Wasp...it's a $15 CE roc

Funny you say that. The reason I tried a Z Wasp was because someone told me it was a cheap alternative to the CE Roc and the reason I tried all the other Discraft was because I loved the feel of the Z Wasp. So I guess the reason I switched to Discraft was because I wanted a cheaper CE Roc and found out Discraft made discs I liked alot more then what I was throwing :D

.....and now you've got them looking at you for sponsorship. Things happen for a reason :)

Really, not to take away from supporting an awesome tourney that i've attended twice, but a Z-Wasp = a CE Roc. Period.

Aug 03 2005, 06:42 PM
im been trying to avoid Discraft like the plague- maybe its b/c i had a bad exp. with thier molds in the early 90s. i think it was personal now. if i do buy one should i buy the same weight i normally would if i were to buy a ROC?

scottsearles
Aug 03 2005, 09:10 PM
i've broken in a z wasp in about 8 months before.

I like my ch. rocs. and it does support an awesome tournament.

: ) :

I am throwing an 03 Big Bird here in the NW...Trust and Belive i have hit MANY,MANY Tree's it is still a Hyzer disc, but it will fly flat with Snap. But come on 2.5 years of NW Tree's well worth the $25.00

IMHO Having a Disc that i know what it is going to do after that long in the bag is well worth the $$$$$

USDGC ROC'S :D:D/msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

quickdisc
Aug 03 2005, 09:28 PM
im been trying to avoid Discraft like the plague- maybe its b/c i had a bad exp. with thier molds in the early 90s. i think it was personal now. if i do buy one should i buy the same weight i normally would if i were to buy a ROC?

Hmmmmmmmm..........Have you thrown a Champion Spider or a Champion Shark ? Both of these are durable and forgiving if you hit trees. I love both of them.
I can throw them Really Hard and not have to worry...........

For myself , that means alot...........not having to worry , when your about ready to throw a specific shot !!!!!!

Just Throw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA !!!!!!http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/halm.gif

Aug 04 2005, 12:11 AM
If you collect or have ALOT of money then I say 200$ is not bad for a 2001 CE Roc. Actually 2001 and 2002 are the ONLY CE rocs EVER made, the rest are Champion Rocs which means they are different plastic.

Buy a Champion Roc and you will see, they last forever, feel great, and fly great too....

Love my Champion Rocs....

MTL21676
Aug 04 2005, 02:24 AM
WHy are Champion Rocs so expensive?

B/c people pay way too much for them - that's why.

I'm sorry, there is no disc that is going to magically change my game.

esalazar
Aug 04 2005, 09:28 AM
you want to buy one??? haha!!

Aug 04 2005, 11:10 AM
B/c people pay way too much for them - that's why.

I'm sorry, there is no disc that is going to magically change my game.

Believe it or not some people who buy them and pay too much for them dont throw them either..

:D

flynvegas
Aug 04 2005, 11:21 AM
This year's Special Blend is one of the best of the Champion Roc's. No one mentioned the response was so big this year that the server crashed within minutes of these going on sale. You can still get a '05 dyed glo Roc now for $35 at ZD.

Aug 04 2005, 12:14 PM
[/QUOTE]
.....and now you've got them looking at you for sponsorship. Things happen for a reason :)

[/QUOTE]

WOW :D

Moderator005
Aug 04 2005, 01:21 PM
This year's Special Blend is one of the best of the Champion Roc's. No one mentioned the response was so big this year that the server crashed within minutes of these going on sale. You can still get a '05 dyed glo Roc now for $35 at ZD.

I think people are still hoping for that special mold like the 2001 CE Rocs. Every edition since then has been more overstable and nothing like the sweet straight-line flyer that the 2001 is known as.

twoputtok
Aug 04 2005, 02:12 PM
I am not a person that has thrown Rocs for a long time. I do now throw a special blend and I like it. The players that have thrown rocs for years and they throw the 01 Ce have told me that this special blend is as close to the 01 as you can get.

Just what I've been told.

Aug 04 2005, 02:13 PM
Really, not to take away from supporting an awesome tourney that i've attended twice, but a Z-Wasp = a CE Roc. Period.

[/QUOTE]

As much as a Z Wasp wants to be a CE Roc it's not. Period! A Roc is a Roc and everything else is an immitation. A Z Wasp is OK, but Roc's rule. Believe it! :D

Aug 04 2005, 02:17 PM
i'd have to agree with that.. I find a Z-wasp(i have a 1st run ghost stamp and a later run) and a CE ROC are different.. I actually like the Z-wasp more, but they both fly a little different.

The special blends are sweet though. Great plastic and a good mold. Anyone need any? I have 4 left.. 2 blue and 2 red.. PM me for details :)

-Scott Lewis

my_hero
Aug 04 2005, 02:19 PM
^^^scoob :D^^^ No cure for being brainwashed. ;) :p

Now, is there a cure for poison ivy? :confused: :D

Parkntwoputt
Aug 04 2005, 02:49 PM

The Z-Wasp is actually a copied CE Roc. It think the Z-Wasp is more stable then the CE Rocs, which is why I throw them (BTW, last week I pushed my new Z-Wasp 380ft! It is the only midrange that can handle my full speed throws).

I bought a 2005 Glo Roc, but that will just sit in the box and earn money. I really like Rocs, they are great discs, but considering I can get the Buzzz and the Wasp at anytime in the sweet Z plastic, which is a little stiffer and more durable then the champion imo, I will stay with discraft on that one.

Plus I think people are crazy for spending so much money on discs. The most I have ever spent on a disc which I throw was $20, that was for a Champion Whippet. The Whippet and the Gator are the only discs I throw that are hard to replace.

As for poison ivy. Zanfel works great for getting rid of it. At $40 for 2oz tube it seems outrageous, but I have had mine for over a year, and you just use a pea sized amount and rub it in with water on the patch of poison ivy scabs on your legs, and the next morning, POOF! It's gone. You can get it at drug stores like CVS and Walgreens.

paul
Aug 04 2005, 03:34 PM
I've bought one roc off ebay for way too much money. Crazy? Eh -- let me check your expenses smart guy, I'm betting there's some insanity there. I don't begrudge anyone spending their own money on whatever suits them as long as they don't owe me any.

The only roc or wasp that I haven't thrown is the SB. I bought a bunch -- I just haven't tried any of them yet.

Of the Discraft plastics the X is the closest to the '01 or '02 Roc. I realize that the '01 is closing on holy grail status as a collectable, but it's not overly difficult to come up with a midrange that flies straight with a left hand fade at the end.

I don't have the arm for a Z-Wasp, it just goes left. I've been throwing an X-Wasp for almost 2 years on mostly tree courses and still can't make it turn-over. It flies straight, just won't work left to right when thrown hard. Yes, I can throw it 300+ feet, it just hasn't worn in that much. Actually, I wish it would. I went back to an X-MRV to go right to left. If the X-Wasp ever gives up I have several back-ups for it.

The only ROC I'm missing is an '01. Thought I'd tracked one down a couple of weeks ago, but it was a wild goose chase as it was just a dx ROC with a tournament stamp from 2001. I've given up on ebay to try to find one -- I'm figuring some non-internet literate golfer will let go of his when I show him the money, it's just hard to find one.

cbdiscpimp
Aug 04 2005, 03:39 PM
I played with this guy the other day who had 3 01 CE Rocs IN HIS FREAKIN BAG!!! And he was throwing ALL THREE!!!

Its nice to see that these disc are flying because thats what they were made to do but those three discs are worth more then my entire bag and the discs inside :eek:

Parkntwoputt
Aug 04 2005, 03:56 PM
We have a local at our course who only throws '01 CE Rocs, and other CE plastic. The plastic in his bag is worth over $700. At least he does use a high end bag too. The Revo Carolina Team Bag.

I guess I should be an architect because that is what he does, he drives a land rover jeep about the size of a Hummer. It would be nice to waste that much money. I will stick with my regular discs and my hybrid car.

Aug 04 2005, 04:07 PM

Brainwashed? When I first started playing disc golf (1986) I was throwing all Discraft for a good number of years. Young and dumb I guess. :Dj/k I have nothing against Discraft. I have thrown almost everything over the years. I just can't find anything as predictable and that feels as good as a Roc. As for the Special Blends, I use them to swat down wasps and buzz bee's. :D

my_hero
Aug 04 2005, 04:17 PM
I use them to swat down wasps and buzz bee's.

:D:D:DNow that wuz funny!

dannyreeves
Aug 04 2005, 04:37 PM
I am not a person that has thrown Rocs for a long time. I do now throw a special blend and I like it. The players that have thrown rocs for years and they throw the 01 Ce have told me that this special blend is as close to the 01 as you can get.

Just what I've been told.

Actually, the 01's were definetly overstable. The 02's were the straight fliers and that is what the SB is comparable to.

brookep
Aug 04 2005, 04:42 PM
02's are CE Super Rocs with poppy tops. SB's are Ontarios no poppy top. :D

twoputtok
Aug 04 2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks Danny, If any one knows their Rocs, it would be you. :D

Aug 04 2005, 04:54 PM
I throw an 05 ce roc as my main roc. I have an 04 in the bag as well. I am fortunate in that I live close enough to Rock Hill to attend the USDGC. I've been throwing the 05 since October and it still flies exactly the same. We brought about a dozen rocs home from last years USDGC. I kept a few and sold the rest. Thats how I justify throwing them. I've thrown an 01 and for me it was worth more on the wall than in the bag.

ChunkyleeChong
Aug 04 2005, 05:06 PM
Why do people put up such a fuss when they see the prices people pay for certain discs. 1, while 200 dollars might be some peoples life savings its pocket change for others.and 2 ,have you played ball golf.you might pay 200 dollars for ONE ROUND at some courses. a good club cost at least twice the amount an 01 Roc does.I laugh at people who are so hesitant to spend their precious money on a sport they love. these are the same people who spend 100-150 dollars a week on beer and cigarettes, but im an [I'm a potty-mouth!] for buying nice plastic ONCE that will basicly last forever if you use your head.

quickdisc
Aug 04 2005, 05:08 PM
thanks that does answer my question. does it fly any better than the dx or pro s? i love my roc but its getting all banged up from hitting stuff

Well then.............Throw a Champion Shark !!!!!!! YEA !!!!!!

177-180 should do the trick. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Aug 04 2005, 06:01 PM
Why do people put up such a fuss when they see the prices people pay for certain discs. 1, while 200 dollars might be some peoples life savings its pocket change for others.and 2 ,have you played ball golf.you might pay 200 dollars for ONE ROUND at some courses. a good club cost at least twice the amount an 01 Roc does.I laugh at people who are so hesitant to spend their precious money on a sport they love. these are the same people who spend 100-150 dollars a week on beer and cigarettes, but im an [I'm a potty-mouth!] for buying nice plastic ONCE that will basicly last forever if you use your head.

Yikes... someone needs a hug :D

People will react that way all the time when they dont see the value. It's the same kinda reaction with expensive cars or Paris Hilton's $4,000 purses.

All I know is that if I had a 2001 CE Roc it would be up on ebay right now and then I could buy fully stocked bag or a mach V :cool:

ChunkyleeChong
Aug 04 2005, 06:13 PM

Yikes... someone needs a hug :D

People will react that way all the time when they dont see the value. It's the same kinda reaction with expensive cars or Paris Hilton's $4,000 purses.

All I know is that if I had a 2001 CE Roc it would be up on ebay right now and then I could buy fully stocked bag or a mach V :cool:

LOL, I guess that did come out sounding angier than it was intended,I did just get back from a pretty lousy round of disc,maybe I do need a hug :D

anita
Aug 04 2005, 06:27 PM
People talk about how much CE/Champion Rocs are. Sure they get pricey on the secondary (ebay) market. That's demand and mystique driven.

However, if you can get them at the issue price of $25, that's not outragous. It's only $10 or less over the cost of the average Champion/Z disc. I've never NOT gotten as many CE Rocs that I've wanted at issue price the last few years. Heck, I've sold some to friends at the issue price.

Aug 04 2005, 06:28 PM
I bought an '05 180g for one reason, 260-320' headwind hyzers, because I was tired of my KC's flipping in that situation. I learned that it is about as stable as a new KC, so it went up on the wall, and I put a flat Zwasp in its place. A little more overstable, and it's a loss of $0 (AM payout) rather than $45 if I lose it.

Moderator005
Aug 04 2005, 08:45 PM
Actually, the 01's were definetly overstable. The 02's were the straight fliers and that is what the SB is comparable to.

My experience has been completely different. The 2001 CE Rocs that I've thrown were dead-straight flyers. The '02 (and any other Champion Roc that has come since) were all overstable.

jugggg
Aug 04 2005, 08:49 PM
Discs were meant to fly not hang on a nail!!!! :cool:

Aug 04 2005, 11:41 PM
I'd DEF. say 2001's were/are overstable. They are straight into a headwind but with NO wind, overstable unless thrown HARD and FLAT but then they will still fade fairly hard at the end....

my_hero
Aug 04 2005, 11:52 PM
Do you think an autograph helps the value, or hurts the value?

http://img1.glowfoto.com/images/2005/08/04-1859341764T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=04-185934L&y=2005&m=08&t=jpg&rand=1764&srv=img1)

I have a couple more in case it hurts the value. :D

ChunkyleeChong
Aug 04 2005, 11:59 PM
Im pretty sure one sold on Ebay a while ago with Barrys sig on it.it was over $200 so I guess it dont hurt the value much at all. Nice disc

Aug 05 2005, 12:09 AM
Well reading through this has made me feel better about throwin my Zwasp, just seems to flatten out and glide longer than the 04 usdgc glo rock I did have before I traded it away... I like to throw my old super-roc and let it fade out annie all the way down- I like rocs for flippin over touch shots, I never felt the roc's D was enough on the stable type throws...
$.02