Discraft_Keith
Aug 03 2005, 10:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

I would like to congratulate Nate Doss on his amazing World Championship win. Holding off the best disc golfers that have ever played and staying on the lead card all week says alot about his mental and physical game.

I know there have been questions on what Nate was throwing during his World Championship run so below is the list from Nate himself.

3 Z-Predators
1 X-Avenger
1 Z-XL
1 Z-X2
1 X-Talon
3 White D-Challengers
1 X-XL (roller)
1 First Run Cyclone
1 D-Drone
1 Z-Hawk

He said his Challenger was his most important disc followed by the Z-Hawk, Z-Predator, X-Avenger, Z-XL and Z-X2.

Check out the front page of Discraft.com (http://www.discraft.com) to see a picture of the SuperCOLOR discs that were delivered to Nate as he won his championship. Check back for more pictures and a nice write up from Nate about being a 20 year old World Champ to be posted soon.

my_hero
Aug 03 2005, 02:02 PM
Congrats Nate!!!!

I want a Nate Doss disc!

A 1x Z-Pred maybe? :)

Aug 03 2005, 02:25 PM
challengers are the best putters out there. I've never used a Hawk, but I may have to pick one up.

Boneman
Aug 03 2005, 05:18 PM
Are the proD challengers "flat" like soft Challengers? I've only thrown X and Z and the softs, and I like the flatness of the softs best. I don't care for the domey X discs much, and switching from a soft challenger to a domey challenger throws off my putting.
Are Nates Challengers D's, or Cam Todds? The Cam Todds are nice, but pricey, and I hear they beat up pretty fast. True, or not?

Oh, and grats Nate on the win!

Boneman < still a rookie

cbdiscpimp
Aug 03 2005, 05:23 PM
Are the proD challengers "flat" like soft Challengers? I've only thrown X and Z and the softs, and I like the flatness of the softs best. I don't care for the domey X discs much, and switching from a soft challenger to a domey challenger throws off my putting.
Are Nates Challengers D's, or Cam Todds? The Cam Todds are nice, but pricey, and I hear they beat up pretty fast. True, or not?

Oh, and grats Nate on the win!

Boneman < still a rookie

All the Pro Ds and Crystals and X Challengers I have had have all been flat. The only domey Challengers I have ever seen is this particular run of Red Pro Ds and I dont understand why it happend either.

The Cam Todds are great. I have about 6-8 1st Runs that might get used for upshots here pretty soon if I can increase my stock and I have about 15 2nd Run Signature stamped Cam Todds that I am currently putting with.

The challenger is by far the best putter ever made.

Congrats again Nate!!! Way to bring one home for Discraft!!! :D:D:D

junnila
Aug 03 2005, 05:26 PM
No Buzzz' in Doss' bag? I figured every Discraft pro threw them, but hey obviously his Hawk is working for him. Congrats Nate!

Aug 03 2005, 05:52 PM
No Buzzz' in Doss' bag? I figured every Discraft pro threw them, but hey obviously his Hawk is working for him. Congrats Nate!

He missed the bandwagon :p :D

Keith, a Doss interview would be a fun read!

idahojon
Aug 03 2005, 10:37 PM
Keith, a Doss interview would be a fun read!

Listen to this week's PDGA Radio episode for a great interview with Nate. A real gentleman. Congrats to him.

Aug 09 2005, 03:57 AM
After reading about how Nate Doss liked the discraft Hawk so much I decided to pick one up (in d plastic). My first impressions: Wow, this is one bad disc.. I was able to really rip the disc without having it turnover much at all, and the glide it gets is phenominal. I was throwing this disc almost as far as my drivers the first day I got it (375). I have tried lots of midranges - roc, buzz, wasp, coyote, cobra etc. but I have never been able to throw any of those discs as far or as consistently as the hawk. I think I will be taking all my other midranges out of the bag and just using the hawk, it is one sweet disc. For anyone who hasn't tried a hawk yet, I suggest picking one up.

my_hero
Aug 09 2005, 11:27 AM
It's a great disc. I really like in in the Z-Plastic.

Aug 09 2005, 11:41 AM
It's a great disc. I really like in in the Z-Plastic.

According to Sun King, it's out of production in Z plastic.

Aug 09 2005, 12:09 PM
I've got a d Hawk that I found in a tree a couple years ago. It has been in my bag since. Once I sunk a 100' anny around a tree. It's beat to hell, and a very good anny disc. Was thinking of starting to season a D buzz so I have something similar to my other mids (wasp)

cbdiscpimp
Aug 09 2005, 12:13 PM
Beat D BUZZZs are the BOMB!!! I carry 1 Z Wasp for overstable 1 1st Run BUZZZ for Stable and then 2 or 3 seasoned D BUZZZs for super straight to super flippy :D

brookep
Aug 09 2005, 12:19 PM
HD Hawk was one of my first 3 discs. The other two were an x-clone and a Rubber Putter :DThank god for that Hawk or I probably wouldn't have kept playing.

anita
Aug 09 2005, 12:30 PM
I just love the way these elite golfers often use older models. Doss uses a Hawk and a Cyclone. I bet Kenny still has a Viper in his bag.

ryangwillim
Aug 09 2005, 01:22 PM
Beat D BUZZZs are the BOMB!!! I carry 1 Z Wasp for overstable 1 1st Run BUZZZ for Stable and then 2 or 3 seasoned D BUZZZs for super straight to super flippy :D

You pay too much attention to your plastic. /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

cbdiscpimp
Aug 09 2005, 01:25 PM
You pay too much attention to your plastic.

All I gotta say is "Know what you throw, Throw what you know"

ryangwillim
Aug 09 2005, 02:11 PM
You pay too much attention to your plastic.

All I gotta say is "Know what you throw, Throw what you know"

I can respect that.
Hey, what's the deal, why aren't you at worlds?

Chainiac
Aug 09 2005, 02:12 PM
I love my d-Hawk. It's the straightest disc I have. Sometimes too straight. Very little if any fade at the end. But when I have an approach shot or a short hole where I have a clear shot at the basket it the disc I grab first. It also helps me when I've strayed from the fairway into the woods or brush.

My Z-Hawk is straight too but has a little fade that the regular plastic doesn't have.

I hope the Hawk gets a little more recognition now so other players stop asking me what I'm throwing when I use it. Cuz it's not a Roc you know and everybody throws a Roc, right?

kvo
Aug 09 2005, 02:16 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Z-hawk, iguess now I have to act and actually get one.

cbdiscpimp
Aug 09 2005, 02:24 PM
I can respect that.
Hey, what's the deal, why aren't you at worlds?

Not enough money and my boss is on vacation and doesnt come back will tomorrow so I couldnt take the time off :mad:

Kind of a bummer but all that matter is how I do when I move up. Can you tell me off the top of your head who the AM World champ was 2 or 3 years ago??? And more importantly is he doing anything in the Pro division???

I dont care about an Am World title. I want to get a Pro World Title!!!

Why arent you at worlds???

Aug 09 2005, 02:28 PM
The Z Hawk is also a great disc for beginners. It is easy to throw, glides well, can be used for driving or putting, and does not mind getting smacked into trees or rocks. I took my daughter out one day and let her throw the Z Hawk, and she loved it. She made a couple of long putts and it was a real kick (for both of us)! I have since given her the disc as she and her husband are starting to get interested in playing.

ryangwillim
Aug 09 2005, 02:41 PM
Why arent you at worlds???

My cousin decided to get married last week in Oregon, had to take a lot of time off to travel up there and spend a lot of $$. Nothing left over for Worlds.

AM Worlds title is a cool thing. I think you might be downplaying it a bit too much, maybe a coping mechanism because you aren't able to attend, which is fine. I think beating a field of players that large in any event is a pretty sweet thing. Also it will almost guarantee you a sponsorship with the company of your choice. I can't tell you who won the title 2 or 3 years ago because I wasn't playing tournaments back then, I don't even know for sure who the Pro winners were. But last year Jernigan won AM worlds, then signed with Innova, and the placed quite well this year at Pro worlds.

Steps forward are still steps forward, and a world title of any sort along the way is pretty significant.

Chainiac
Aug 09 2005, 02:48 PM
The Z Hawk is also a great disc for beginners.

Good point. I think I'm like a lot of golfers in that I try to have a backup disc for every disc in my bag. JIC I lose one or break one or whatever. I can't seem to keep an extra Hawk around though. I keep giving them away to people trying out the game. A Hawk is great for that.

MTL21676
Aug 09 2005, 03:25 PM
Can you tell me off the top of your head who the AM World champ was 2 or 3 years ago??? And more importantly is he doing anything in the Pro division???

2002 - David "Wheetie" French - still playing, mainly local events in NC - still has one of the best rollers you will ever see and is in and out of cash

2003 - Justin Keer - still playing lots of events - lots of cashes - don't know too much about him other than the fact that he played am some after winning worlds

2004 - Justin Jernigan - one of the games top players - two top 10's in NT's this year and has 4 or 5 wins.

And I did this without looking up stats btw

cbdiscpimp
Aug 09 2005, 03:43 PM
First off you must have way to much time on your hands or just an rediculous memory.

Second that just proves my point. JJ is the only one doing anything after winning an AM Worlds. The only others I know of doing anything after winning an AM Worlds are Timmy Gill and Scott Martin.

Sure its nice to have a good am record but once you hit the Pro ranks no one cares what you did in am. They want to see what you can do in pro.

MTL21676
Aug 09 2005, 03:55 PM
a rediculous memory.

It's that I have a redciulous memory.

I can tell you what I shot pretty much any tournament round from years back and can tell people what I threw on each shot of every hole after a tournament. I also can recal what certain people were wearing the first time I met them and things like that....

It sounds really wierd, but I love having this awesome memory. When I do sports writing, wierd stats pop in my head all the time - I always check to see if they are correct, and about 9 outta 10 times, they are.

By the way - the first time I met you was in the hotel in Iowa. I was standing at the top of the stairwell and you were downstairs playing poker. You got knocked out and came up the stairs (sprial staircase btw) and someone was like thats discpimp and I said boo Michigan and you said a nice explicative that started with F and ended with uck you :D

You were wearing a hat, a white T-Shirt with a discraft logo and a pair of khaki cargo shorts....anything else you'd like to know? :D

cbdiscpimp
Aug 09 2005, 03:58 PM
By the way - the first time I met you was in the hotel in Iowa. I was standing at the top of the stairwell and you were downstairs playing poker. You got knocked out and came up the stairs (sprial staircase btw) and someone was like thats discpimp and I said boo Michigan and you said a nice explicative that started with F and ended with uck you :D

You were wearing a hat, a white T-Shirt with a discraft logo and a pair of khaki cargo shorts....anything else you'd like to know? :D

Thats freakin amazing. I remember that :D

my_hero
Aug 09 2005, 04:21 PM
2003 - Justin Keer - still playing lots of events - lots of cashes - don't know too much about him other than the fact that he played am some after winning worlds

It's Kerr, btw.

JK has been in and out of the cash as well. Recently he took 5th or 7th at the KC WIDE OPEN NT event. Nice guy. I hope he goes to the USDGC and the PLAYERS CUP.

junnila
Aug 09 2005, 04:33 PM
[/QUOTE]
a white T-Shirt with a discraft logo

[/QUOTE]

junnila
Aug 09 2005, 04:34 PM
go figure :D

Aug 10 2005, 11:44 PM
The Z-Hawk is a fantastic disc. I'm glad it's getting some love now that it's out of print. :p I also don't recommend anyone running out to snap up the last of the supply. I'm willing to bet that Doss was throwing a Hawk that wasn't from the last run they ever made. The last run was hideously domey, they totally ruined the disc, I hypothesize in an attempt to boost withering sales on the disc. I love my flat topped hawk, though. I've never thrown the D-Hawk, but it looks an awful like the ruined domey hawks. If you're looking for a flat Hawk, look at the Hawk-Eye by DGA. That's the Hawk I'm still throwing, just in less durable plastic.

The Challenger is a fantastic putter, I'm about to switch back to it after some unsuccessful forays with the Rhyno.

Three Z-Predators, though, that I'll never understand. But I can't argue with the results, now can I? :D

dannyreeves
Aug 11 2005, 02:21 AM
I also carry 3 Preds. If you get one beat up good, you will wonder why anyone throws an Orc. :D

my_hero
Aug 11 2005, 10:53 AM
Three Z-Predators, though, that I'll never understand. But I can't argue with the results, now can I?

Oh i can see why. One really worn for HUGE "S" drives. One slightly worn for LOOOOOOOONG, straight shots with a nice stable turn at the end. And One brand new, or in great shape for those hard left turns and heavy winds.

Kid_Roc.....now that wuz funny! :)

junnila
Aug 11 2005, 11:14 AM
I have three preds in my bag as well, 1 X pred for long turnovers, 1 beat z for straight shots, and 1 new z for the best shot in disc golf...the hyzer :D:D

primetime
Aug 11 2005, 12:11 PM
I have 4 Preds in my bag.

2 X-Preds that are broke in nicely and 2 Z's for the long hyzer.

I top it off with some X & Z Avengers and your good to go.

PT Woods
# 20431

junnila
Aug 11 2005, 12:15 PM
+ a beat Wildcat for hyzer flips, rollers, and quick turn thumbers. What more do you need? :D

cbdiscpimp
Aug 11 2005, 12:28 PM
+ a beat Wildcat for hyzer flips, rollers, and quick turn thumbers. What more do you need?

A Tracker and a couple Tsunamis 1 Z Wasp 1 1st Run BUZZZ 2 D BUZZZs and 6 Challengers :D

junnila
Aug 11 2005, 12:50 PM
6 Challengers? What do you need 6 putters for, you should stop beating in challengers and get a proto magnet.

cbdiscpimp
Aug 11 2005, 12:58 PM
6 Challengers? What do you need 6 putters for, you should stop beating in challengers and get a proto magnet.

1 2nd Run CT for Putting
1 Crystal for upshots and driving
1 New 2nd Run CT for Hyxer upshots and drives
3 Pro D Challengers for upshots and Drives (all beat different)

I hate magnets :D

MTL21676
Aug 11 2005, 04:00 PM
You think 6 challengers is crazy...

I carry...

2 X wasps
2 10X Rocs
1 Ching Roc
1 DX Roc
1 Champ Shark
1 10X Avair
1 Big Bead Avair
6 Small Bead Avairs

junnila
Aug 11 2005, 04:11 PM
Well at least you have two decent discs in your bag...just kidding. I don't get why anyone needs more than 3 putters in their bag. I would rather be able to throw my putter 10 different ways rather than having 10 putters with unique flights.

dannyreeves
Aug 11 2005, 04:15 PM
You think 6 challengers is crazy...

I carry...

2 X wasps
2 10X Rocs
1 Ching Roc
1 DX Roc
1 Champ Shark
1 10X Avair
1 Big Bead Avair
6 Small Bead Avairs

Wow, you have 15 discs in your bag without counting drivers??? Is that like a new weightlifting program? :D

Seriously, I could never see needing more than 3 putters. I only carry 2 but I could see a valid arguement for 3. No more for sure. To each his own, I guess! :confused:

cbdiscpimp
Aug 11 2005, 04:19 PM
Seriously, I could never see needing more than 3 putters. I only carry 2 but I could see a valid arguement for 3. No more for sure. To each his own, I guess!

I only really use 4 of the 6. The other 2 are just back ups and bag fillers. 1 4 Putting and 3 for driving and upshots :D

I carry 7 drivers 4 Mids and 6 putters :D Then 2 huge waters. Needless to say im glad Ill have a caddy for USADGC :D

dannyreeves
Aug 11 2005, 05:58 PM
Since switching my bag over to mostly (all) Discraft, I have found that I naturally chose fewer molds for drivers. I love a lot of the Discraft drivers: Wildcat, Flash, Crush, Talon, Flick, Predator, Avenger. But when I figured out what I "needed" to fill each line for long drives, all I throw is a Z-Wildcat, 2 Z-Crushes (I really only throw 1, the other is a backup) and 3 Z-Predators (2 of them are near new and used in simlar situations). So, when throwing Innova drivers I needed 6 or 8 drivers to do everything I wanted, I am now throwing 4. Nice to know you only need 4 discs to do any shot you need over 300'.

junnila
Aug 11 2005, 06:04 PM
I need 5 driver molds, however 2 of them are utility discs.

Predator, Avenger, Wildcat, Flick, Xtreme

It seems that Innova has a lot of driver molds, Tbird, Firebird, Eagle, Valk, Viking, Orc, Beast, Monster, Starfire, etc etc. How do you pick from all of these? I know Discraft has a lot of driver molds, but only a few very popular ones, Crush, Flash, Pred, W-Cat, Talon, and now the Avenger.

my_hero
Aug 11 2005, 06:04 PM
I think at your level of play you could downsize that innova bag to 4 drivers, no? Of course, i'm elated to see the company you've chosen.....even though if you dig into the "what's in your bag" thread.....yours changed the most frequently. Which means, you have honestly given every disc out there a fair chance. Way to go to the BIG DR!

Aug 11 2005, 06:10 PM
even gateway? :)

my_hero
Aug 11 2005, 06:17 PM
even gateway? :)

Have you read how DR's bag has changed over the years....at least since that "what's in the bag" thread was started. Amazing.

He really has given 99% of the stuff out there a fair chance.

dannyreeves
Aug 11 2005, 06:18 PM
Yep, I am one of the most open minded people out there in regards to throwing discs. I made a rough estimate and I think over the past 4 years I have had about 50 different discs in my bag at one time or another.

One thing that it has really helped me with is my drives. Be it with a mid or a driver, I can throw almost any disc and do what I want with it because I have experimented with so many different discs and thrown them every possible way.

Yes, even Gateway discs. I have thrown all of their molds and liked a few but didn't dig the drivers that much. I threw the Speed Demon for a while but they beat up really fast. I really love the Wizard and the Element but I have a Comet and a Challenger that are very close to the same disc.

Aug 11 2005, 06:19 PM
chez I read the thread.... just vondering if he has given Gateway a try, as they only have a few drivers making it easy to keep your number of disc down

dannyreeves
Aug 11 2005, 06:21 PM
chez I read the thread.... just vondering if he has given Gateway a try, as they only have a few drivers making it easy to keep your number of disc down

True but if you want to throw a few drivers, you can do that with any company. With them you have to which leaves you with less options.

gokayaksteven
Aug 11 2005, 06:26 PM
i'm finding all i really need are 2 molds. pred-[z-pred, fusion tsunami] and avenger-[z, x]
at high altitude or big downwind i will use a 150 dx beast. longest driver ever in the right situation.

Aug 11 2005, 06:26 PM
loud and clear Kid Roc...

keep this in mind tho:

"less is more"

dannyreeves
Aug 11 2005, 06:58 PM
loud and clear Kid Roc...

keep this in mind tho:

"less is more"

So, what is your point? I have already said that I am throwing 4 drivers (which is a low number). Should I go to 2? LOL!

Aug 11 2005, 07:03 PM
ok, since you asked. my point is gateway has a fewer drivers, mind you, that can accomplish the same things as other companies that have many drivers. Heck I am not sure I remember what my point was.

Aug 11 2005, 07:16 PM
I've got a question for those of you who throw both the Predator and the Avenger. How do the flight characteristics of the Predator and Avenger differ? Obviously the Predator is more overstable, but if you break one in, would it fly like an Avenger or differently?

The Avenger sure is an awesome disc. I have been trying to decide between the Champion Orc and the Z-Flash for my main driver, and when I got a chance to test the Avenger I knew it was the right disc. Fast, straight flight and very reliable.

primetime
Aug 11 2005, 10:54 PM
I need 5 driver molds, however 2 of them are utility discs.

Predator, Avenger, Wildcat, Flick, Xtreme

I've found it much easier to narrow down the molds I throw and use the ones that are the most universal.

My bag now consists of :
Drivers: Avengers, Predators, Teebirds & Sidewinders
Mid-Range: Rocs, Cobras and a Drone.
Putter: Challengers (1-soft, 1-Pro-D, 1-CryZtal)

It has definitely helped my game and I'm becoming more consistant. (The Avenger is awesome!!!) ;)

PT Woods
# 20431

junnila
Aug 12 2005, 10:51 AM
Although a beat pred and an avenger have similar flights they differ depending on the height of the disc. For example, if I throw a beat pred high, anny-nose up, it will come out a lot faster than the avenger thrown the same way. If I am throwing a hyzer the avenger will pop up flat faster than the beat pred. There are huge differences when throwing spike hyzers as well. Both are sweet drivers and should be thrown by everyone. :D:D

primetime
Aug 12 2005, 12:03 PM
Although a beat pred and an avenger have similar flights they differ depending on the height of the disc. For example, if I throw a beat pred high, anny-nose up, it will come out a lot faster than the avenger thrown the same way. If I am throwing a hyzer the avenger will pop up flat faster than the beat pred. There are huge differences when throwing spike hyzers as well. Both are sweet drivers and should be thrown by everyone. :D:D

I couldn't agree more!! :cool::D

PT Woods
# 20431