Angst
Jul 27 2005, 02:03 PM
I'm a reasonably new player (1.5 yrs), and I can throw drivers a good distance (400ft is fairly easily reachable), but what I have trouble with is getting my Rocs to fly straight with any kind of distance. Any time I try to get any straight distance out of a Roc I flip it right over.

I think I may be over-snapping it, but I'm not really sure. My throwing style has a lot of snap and I can't quite figure out what to change to get the distance I need (275-300) and retain the straightness. Any ideas?

Jul 27 2005, 02:22 PM
I ran into a similar problem within the last year as well. I could hit 350'-370' pretty easily, but couldn't get a Roc like midrange to go anywhere without flipping over (my Proline Gremlins flew well, but were hard to replace). I ended up concentrating on really learning how to get my midrange discs (back then it was a Roc and an MRV) to fly well. I ended up having to get rid of some wrist roll over and fixed some issues with timing. After I got the hang of that I moved onto putters. The new throw I had ended up costing me about 30' of distance right away, but I've gotten back to my old distances. It's really nice being able to throw a putter fairly consistantly up to 280' and I think my game has improved overall.

jmonny
Jul 27 2005, 02:31 PM
Angst....I have found that if you throw and release a Roc like a driver they tend to dive right or turn over. Try releasing more nose up and with a bit of anny. Rocs will fly on a nice arc and carry far when you release them right. Try that.

Znash
Jul 27 2005, 02:32 PM
Low arm speed with fast snap should work, throwing a putter or roc is all about being smooth and not over powering it. Make shore that you get the disc in the air so it has plenty of time to float in the air.

Jul 28 2005, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I have been playing for about a year and use KC Roc since the gitgo.
One thing I have learned is that they get extremely understable after a short period of time.
To control, at least for me, you have to throw a hyzer release and it will usually flatten out and go nicely straight.

Just from my experience !!

jfsheffield
Jul 29 2005, 12:43 AM
What really helped me with throwing a midrange was playing catch with someone at varying distances with a beat in Roc, (dx doesn't hurt when you catch it), trying all kinds of different throws and see who can make the other person move the least.

Angst
Jul 29 2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all of the input.

I'll try all of these ideas and see what works best for me. If anyone else has any more ideas, I'd like to hear them as well.

I'm basically trying to get away from using my T-bird with a "weaker" throw on straight shots from 250-300ft.

dannyreeves
Jul 29 2005, 01:13 AM
Snap doesn't cause a Roc to turn over. Speed does. Rocs are about controlled power. What I would suggest you do is get 5-10 DX Rocs and get in an open field. Throw at a basket or another target. Get 150' away and practice releasing flat or with a very slight hyzer angle. Aim a little right of the target and work to get a nice, smooth controlled shot that flies straight and fades left to the target. After you are comfortable with that range, move back 25'. Repeat and keep moving back in 25' incriments until you are at 250-300' (depending on what you can handle). If you can throw 400+' with a driver, you should be able to throw a Roc about 300'. If you can't stick to 250'.

Getting that flat (or slight hyzer) shot down is a great place to start and after you are comfortable to your maximum controlled distance, start throwing your Rocs on different lines (from the original 150' distance).

Hope that helps.
Danny

P.S.--Remember that your Rocs will need (on average) 50% more height than your drivers.

Jul 29 2005, 01:41 AM
I throw my midranges just about the same as i throw my drivers and i throw my putters about the same as well..

I don't see why peopl ehave problems with midranges and putters.. IF this is the case you have big mechanical flaws and/or you might just have to hyzer your putters/mids more... Seems like most people that can throw drivers far are throwing overstable ones and although it sounds good it is poor technique... Probably many are rolling their wrists when throwing overstable drivers so that they can fly "straigh" and go far, but that will only hurt your game.

LIke others have said.. Practice throwing a midrange with someone else or just try throwing as lightly as possible for a while. I find that the lighter i throw the more control i have and the further i can throw. I also get a lot more spin on the disc when i throw lighter.

-Scott Lewis

deathbypar
Jul 29 2005, 03:25 AM
Go the the course and play a round with only a roc.

Parkntwoputt
Jul 29 2005, 09:37 AM
Go the the course and play a round with only a roc.

Bingo!

It is all about control and technique. Although I throw Wasps, which are a bit more stable to handle the speed at which I throw. It is good practice, if you want to master a disc, to go out and play a round or at least 9 holes with it. On our course for example I average 1-3 down on the front nine. I went out played with just a beat to death 180g KC Roc. I shot a -2 while almost aceing a 240ft hole with 20ft of upward elevation change.

While I still consider myself a beginner (playing for 18 months). Driving with Midranges is something that I am still developing. I play on a short course, most holes average 330-370ft with a few dinkers under 300, and two monsters one at 425ft through the woods and a wide open 700ft hole. So I drive with a midrange most of the time.

I try to use the same form each time on the teebox. Not only does this help control midranges, but it also works with drivers. It got me to correct my release technique because I just repeated the same motion over and over again. Now depending on elevation change on the hole I use a Wasp or a Buzzz (like a Roc) on most holes from 250-350ft. Just on Wednesday this week, I launched my best throw ever with a Z-Wasp. It was a 330ft hole and I over shot it by 60ft! It was insane, but the whole throw from wind back to release felt absolutely perfect. Now if I could only do that all the time. :D

quickdisc
Aug 04 2005, 05:16 PM
Try throwing a DX Roc and a Champion Shark.

Play a few rounds , only with those two discs. You can bring a putter if you want.

Drive the heck out of both of them.

A DX Roc will turn over slightly , once beaten up enough.

The Champion Shark , is as stable , if not a touch more , than The Original Super Roc. Champion Sharks are Hot !!!!!
They remain stable , longer , than the Z -Wasp !!!!!!

WORD !!!!!!!!! :D