Jul 17 2005, 09:46 PM
I reach back fairly far and after 10 months am hitting 350ft on a football field consistently............
In the last week I am working on reaching back even further with my face and shoulders turning back almost squarely and directly to the back of me. Haven't been doing it long enough to see if it increases my distance. But it seems to make me less consistent in accuracy of my drives.

Just wondering if this extra reach back will be a guaranteed in increasing more snap and more distance?? And if there will be any downside (like loss of accuracy) to increasing this reach back ??

Jul 17 2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah, you lose accuracy. Definitely.

discgolfreview
Jul 17 2005, 10:30 PM
generally you lose a bit of snap as well unless you can really focus on being strong at the rip point. the majority of the time when people over-reach they are at their strongest at the peak of the reachback and decrease in strength during the pull through.

the_kid
Jul 18 2005, 12:06 AM
I reach back fairly far and after 10 months am hitting 350ft on a football field consistently............
In the last week I am working on reaching back even further with my face and shoulders turning back almost squarely and directly to the back of me. Haven't been doing it long enough to see if it increases my distance. But it seems to make me less consistent in accuracy of my drives.

Just wondering if this extra reach back will be a guaranteed in increasing more snap and more distance?? And if there will be any downside (like loss of accuracy) to increasing this reach back ??

Who cares about the reachback? I have a fairly short reachback yet I can hit 500' but when you get on to tighter holes a shorter reachback will help. You say you can get 350' right? Well just keep working on your current form and then develope the control on your drives and your putting and it will make you much better. It doesn't matter how far you reach back just how fast you come across your chest and FOLLOW THROUGH /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jul 18 2005, 12:31 AM
" Well just keep working on your current form and then develope the control on your drives and your putting and it will make you much better. It doesn't matter how far you reach back just how fast you come across your chest and FOLLOW THROUGH "

Yeah, I figure this might be true but wasn't absolutely sure.
Like I see Blake say it is the acceleration right before the release. And increasing that acceleration in the shortest amount of distance.The longer you reach back the more distance you create and ultimately the chance you will fizzle out on exploding that acceleration.

And Scooter thanks for the encouragement. You would be surprised what a few words can do for motivation.

the_kid
Jul 18 2005, 12:42 AM
No prob /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

quickdisc
Jul 18 2005, 01:13 AM
Hey Scooter , you can throw 500 + with a Half Pull ? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

the_kid
Jul 18 2005, 02:37 AM
Hey Scooter , you can throw 500 + with a Half Pull ? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I can throw 500' with my technique and I don't have a big reachback. :D

tbender
Jul 18 2005, 12:59 PM

It's his big head that generates the hot air to drive the disc.... :o :D

dannyreeves
Jul 18 2005, 01:03 PM
He is "just a kid trying to tell us all how good he can put a frisbee in a bucket." LOL! ;)

the_kid
Jul 18 2005, 05:47 PM

It's his big head that generates the hot air to drive the disc.... :o :D

Sorry guys I just answered his question. :D

my_hero
Jul 18 2005, 05:53 PM
He is "just a kid trying to tell us all how good he can put a frisbee in a bucket." LOL! ;)

He is pretty good though. :D It scares me to think what some of these kids are going to be when they grow up.

the_kid
Jul 18 2005, 07:03 PM

Junior Mafia :D:D

He is pretty good though. :D It scares me to think what some of these kids are going to be when they grow up.

quickdisc
Jul 18 2005, 07:16 PM

Provided he stays with the sport and continues to be sweet to Megan !!!!!!!! :eek: :D

my_hero
Jul 18 2005, 07:17 PM

LMAO....just like me! Just remember who showed you how to start a perfect round on the Willy......also, please forget who showed you how to screw up that perfect round. :D

quickdisc
Jul 18 2005, 07:29 PM

Provided he stays with the sport and continues to be sweet to Megan !!!!!!!! :eek: :D

I'm just an old rust bucket trying to clean the cage of dirty plastic !!!!! :cool:

the_kid
Jul 18 2005, 08:09 PM

LMAO....just like me! Just remember who showed you how to start a perfect round on the Willy......also, please forget who showed you how to screw up that perfect round. :D

:D

the_kid
Jul 18 2005, 08:10 PM

:DThe willy is now changed forever so you are the master of the Old front nine and that will never change. :D

Parkntwoputt
Jul 18 2005, 08:53 PM
Using a big reach back is really tough to maintain accuracy and acceleration. The biggest problem I have noticed when people try to copy my long drives (take Barry's reach back, and Cam Todd's follow through, and you have my swing). Is that they try to over compensate for the extra distance your arm/hand is moving and try to throw harder, and hence they over tourqe the disc and turn it into a cut roller about 100ft out.

My advice is that if you are going to use a long reach back, throw with your back and not your arm. I use my arm as a catapult and make my back and shoulder muscles to turn my body through and after my hip turn, I too have my back towards the basket on long drives.

Of course, I do not use this techique with long drivers (Beast Orc, Starfire, Crush, Avenger, Flash) unless the hole is at least 100ft wide and 400ft long. If I am on anything shorter or or narrower, I back down discs, to either Teebirds, Talons, or Wasps and Buzzz's and usually do a half pull with these discs to stay within those boundaries.

And in case if anyone is wondering about a prior commment I just made. Sure my reach back is like Barry Schultz, and my follow through is like Cam Todd's. But my accuracy is not nearly there. I have a few mechanical problems where I max out between 450 and 475ft. And my putting is, lets just say it is at a typical advanced level. Just imagine if I could fix those few small things, and get about 50 or so consistent feet on my drives. I would be unstoppable. For now, I will just stay in Advanced. :(