Jul 15 2005, 06:27 PM
In our local league play sometime back we bumped into an interesting CTP issue. The basket on the CTP hole was located on a slope. There were two throws very close in distance from the basket - one located uphill of and the other level with the basket base - across the slope. When measured along the ground to the base of the basket pole - the disc across the slope was clearly closer. When measured on a line perpendicular to the basket pole the uphill disc was clearly closer. Both measurements were measured from the disc to the basket pole. Which throw gets the CTP?

ck34
Jul 15 2005, 06:44 PM
Technically, you can't hole out by the base of the pin. In theory, the distance should be measured from the closest part of the disc to the pole surface just inside the basket. So that would give an edge to the disc on an upslope or a leaner.

Jul 15 2005, 06:47 PM
GPS :)

Actually I would vote for a straight line between the disc and the bottom of the pole for close CTPs. That way you can "walk off" the CTP by using your shoes as a ruler. The problem is if there's a boulder or picnic table or big tree in the way.

Jul 15 2005, 06:51 PM
I would not want to explain to either person why they lost.
That being said here's my take, based on nothing other than my opinion. I would think CTP is a ball golf term meaning Closet to the Pin. In disc golf I think it has been converted to Closet to the Pole. If you accept that I would have to say the uphill shot was Closet to the Pole. For the other shot to win I think you would have to change the name to CTBP, Closet to the Bottom of the Pole.

cbdiscpimp
Jul 15 2005, 06:53 PM
That being said here's my take, based on nothing other than my opinion. I would think CTP is a ball golf term meaning Closet to the Pin. In disc golf I think it has been converted to Closet to the Pole. If you accept that I would have to say the uphill shot was Closet to the Pole. For the other shot to win I think you would have to change the name to CTBP, Closet to the Bottom of the Pole.

I agree with this!!! :)

bruce_brakel
Jul 15 2005, 07:08 PM
Disc golf is clearly a two dinensional game. Apply the rule of verticality. And take free relief from 30 feet up in a tree while you are at it.

Jul 15 2005, 07:38 PM

For the record - I didn't either. As a novice running the league with less than 12 months total DG experience under my belt and absolutely no concensus amongst the players which was correct, I wimped out - called it a tie and had the two players split the prize. Nobody got upset by the outcome and they both went away with bragging rights.

In hindsight, I believe the uphill disc should have won - but there are many who would argue the other viewpoint, especially since the PDGA does not seem to have rules or guidelines for implementation of CTP competitions.