Jul 14 2005, 02:15 AM
What is the best mid for playing in heavy wind? I am currently carrying a 172 Z buzz and a D mrv 175.

S_Wells
Jul 14 2005, 02:33 AM
Try GateWay:
**S plastic - Blaze**
or
S plastic - Demon

vwkeepontruckin
Jul 14 2005, 02:48 AM
"S" Demon or "E" Blaze...others will work, but the Blaze is hugely under-rated! Picture the stability of either a Gator or Drone but with the speed of a Gazelle or some other fairway driver...its such a good disc that most have never even tried!

the_kid
Jul 14 2005, 02:53 AM
"S" Demon or "E" Blaze...others will work, but the Blaze is hugely over-rated! Picture the stability of either a Gator or Drone but with the speed of a Gazelle or some other fairway driver...its such a good disc that most have never even tried!

He means under-rated. :DYeah an E blaze is killer I throw it for almost everything.

sandalman
Jul 14 2005, 02:55 AM
in heavy wind, move up from the z-buzzz to the Drone. it will handle anything short of a hurricane.

vwkeepontruckin
Jul 14 2005, 03:07 AM
in heavy wind, move up from the z-buzzz to the Drone. it will handle anything short of a hurricane.

Yeah, both the Demon and Drone are great into the wind, but they are still very short discs, even in the wind. To get the distance in the wind you would in calm conditions with your Buzzz, get a Blaze...you'll be quite surprised how great a flyer this one is!!

Jul 14 2005, 03:39 AM
Do I want a blaze AND a demon? Or just one over the other? Is the blaze driver-like?

Also, where do I order these? I ordered some wizards, still waiting on them, but I e-mailed the guy directly.

gdstour
Jul 14 2005, 04:38 AM
Depending on your power, you may want to try both the Demon and Blaze.
Johnny McCray who is among the top 10 players in the world has 5 demons of different beatness in his 12 disc lineup and he can do anything with them under 380.
Of course you most have big power to achieve this kind of distance with the demon as well as the Blaze.

I threw a drone this weekend and I would say it is closer to the G6i demon which is a special run of Demon that were a little domey and not quite as overstable.

I would have to say Its a big comliment on the demon to have Discraft make a disc which is almost identical.
THANKS JIM! :D

flynvegas
Jul 14 2005, 11:10 AM
I use a 180g SB Roc

Jul 14 2005, 11:13 AM
If you have enough power to throw a Innova Whippet that would be your best bet. I am guessing it is like a Drone though.

Jul 14 2005, 11:24 AM
Heavy Champion Sharks are pigs. They fly well for me in heavy winds.

S_Wells
Jul 14 2005, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE]
What is the best mid for playing in heavy wind?

If you go with a GateWay Disc the reason I would prefer a blaze over a demon is due to the fact that it is more driver like and it will penetrate the heavy wind.

Jul 14 2005, 12:20 PM
If your talking about kansas wind, 35 MPH +, then I say Z Extremes are great, you just need to make sure you have room for the 20 skip to the left, 10 more feet for the roll, and 5 more feet for the curl. :D

klemrock
Jul 14 2005, 12:23 PM
Whippet or Banshee.
The old Ching Sniper worked well but just didn't hold up over time.

cbdiscpimp
Jul 14 2005, 12:24 PM
The DRONE.

Nuff Said

vwkeepontruckin
Jul 14 2005, 12:58 PM
Drones are still too short to be effective...if you want a disc you can actually get your usuall midrange distance with, go with the Blaze...Demons and Drones are extremely overstable and good only for short hyzer shots...whereas the Blaze in a heavy wind will behave like most midranges in calm conditions.

Luke Butch
Jul 14 2005, 01:26 PM
1st run Z WASP

Jul 14 2005, 01:50 PM
Depending what your throw is like there is a good chance the Blaze would be a little too much disc for shorter upshots. Demons are really overstable which makes them super controllable, especially in wind. Also, if you ever throw Grenades (upside-down high and vertical) this disc is the best.

Jul 14 2005, 02:04 PM
180 glow roc for head winds.....180 dx for tail winds....aviar-x works well for both....

Jul 14 2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info. It seems the blaze and the demon are different enough that I may need one of each (damned bag keeps getting heavier).

I am wondering if the blaze is too much disc for me though as my power isn't that great.

Is the blaze like a monster or an xtreme? I've been meaning to get one of these anyway, just haven't done so.

primetime
Jul 14 2005, 03:33 PM
A lighter X-Predator works for mid-range shots too.

PT Woods
# 20431

ryangwillim
Jul 14 2005, 03:41 PM
Z-Xtreme

dannyreeves
Jul 14 2005, 03:43 PM
2004 Glow CE Roc

the_kid
Jul 14 2005, 03:46 PM
"s" blaze= faster sentinel
"e" blaze= MONEY
"s" demon= beefy

Jul 14 2005, 03:46 PM
I have a light predator. I like it very much.

the_kid
Jul 14 2005, 03:48 PM
Where are you from Hank? :confused:

Jul 14 2005, 07:37 PM
Deep south Texas. But, I travel as much as I can to play. I was in San Antonio playing last week, not sure where I'm headed to this weekend. I figure Guth since I'd like to go to the aquarium.

Also, I consider myself a true recreational player; I play for fun. I have never played a tournament, not even the Subway tournaments we have here where your prize is a sandwich if you win.

Jul 14 2005, 07:44 PM
Hank, I will be heading that way next weekend, of course not discgolf related, but fun to be had at schlitterbahn in s. padre! if you look in the right places there are some good disc in the waters at Guth, that is if they haven't been given away :o:D:confused: :( :o;) :p :confused: :) :cool::cool::cool::mad::p ;) :D

paerley
Jul 14 2005, 07:50 PM
I carry a drone and a demon. The demon is definately more overstable than the drone(at least for me). I can get the drone out like 250 feet throwing pure D(amazingly predictable on a full throw, though), while I can only get the demon out like 200 feet. The demon DEFINATELY likes to go left. The demon is great for knife hyzer shots though.

Jul 15 2005, 12:57 AM
I'm headed for Ingleside barring rain... We just missed each other.

Jul 15 2005, 02:45 AM
Hey guys, the blaze is listed as a driver. Is it more of a midrange in terms of distance?

vwkeepontruckin
Jul 15 2005, 03:02 AM
Hey guys, the blaze is listed as a driver. Is it more of a midrange in terms of distance?

Unless you have a big arm, the "E" Blaze is overstable enough to be considered a midrange in regards to distance...its fast enough to travel far if you can power the thing, but for most, myself included, the Blaze is more of a mid-to long driver.

20460chase
Jul 15 2005, 03:24 AM
I look at them like Leopards. Fairway drivers.

Jul 15 2005, 11:02 AM

I haven't thrown an E Blaze, but the S Blaze I got started off as a pretty overstable long midrange and has beat into an overstable fairway driver that I can flilp up from a bit of a hyzer. I think of it as a Champoin Gazelle with more fade and a bit less glide, but I could be off. Thrown into the wind it ends up giving midrange type distances, though. When it's calm it gives a good 'S' flight and is good for long-midrange/short driver hyzer shots. I can get a huge 'S' out of it by throwing it high and anhyzer, but it doesn't really go super far when I do it. I like it because I can still get that overstable flight with it by giving it a bit more hyzer. The plastic is also amazing. It's really grippy, stiff and can take quite a bit of damage without breaking in too quickly.

I have an H Blaze with the Warrior stamp that acts like the beat in S Blaze but seems to have a bit more high speed turn and a bit more glide. It still fights hard to fade when it slows down, though. It's also very domey. I only break it out occassionaly since it doesn't really jive with me as well as the S.

I've heard the newer, transluscent E Blazes are different from the old, opaque E Blazes. I'd like to try the new ones out sometime but it's not high on my list of priorities right now.

vwkeepontruckin
Jul 15 2005, 01:07 PM
Garbs got it right, the newer translucent/clearish ones are a little more overstable, but I find that perfect for how I use them!

Jul 15 2005, 01:19 PM
I got a warrior for a b-day present, flies nice. Question is, about the mold, seems to be like a sabre? what is the warrior called now?

Jul 15 2005, 03:53 PM
I get it now. The blaze is a driver, but into the wind it gets midrange distance.

I need a very overstable disc regardless; I was just trying to decide whether to go with a monster or an xtreme. I think I'll go with a blaze.

One other question: how good is the demon as a putter? I notice many from here putting with the spider in the wind.

discgolfreview
Jul 15 2005, 04:01 PM
I got a warrior for a b-day present, flies nice. Question is, about the mold, seems to be like a sabre? what is the warrior called now?

warrior = h blaze

vwkeepontruckin
Jul 15 2005, 07:29 PM
I get it now. The blaze is a driver, but into the wind it gets midrange distance.

I need a very overstable disc regardless; I was just trying to decide whether to go with a monster or an xtreme. I think I'll go with a blaze.

One other question: how good is the demon as a putter? I notice many from here putting with the spider in the wind.

Good call on the Blaze!! And as far the Demon goes...I have putted with one in the wind, so its doable...but any midrange is decent when needed I guess!

Jul 15 2005, 10:16 PM
hands down discraft drone

vwkeepontruckin
Jul 15 2005, 10:39 PM
hands down discraft drone

Yeah, the Demon...mhmmm, I've thrown that one. But seriously, thats too short of a disc for anything over 200'...he wants a midrange, not a lawndart.

Boneman
Jul 16 2005, 01:48 AM
178 Z WASP!

nuff said.

Jul 16 2005, 02:32 AM
okay. So what's the best way to order gateway discs? From them directly? Or is there another retailor?

I'm still waiting for some putters I ordered last month. I need a credit card!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for manana.

vwkeepontruckin
Jul 16 2005, 10:49 PM
okay. So what's the best way to order gateway discs? From them directly? Or is there another retailor?

I'm still waiting for some putters I ordered last month. I need a credit card!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for manana.

Call the shop for sure...they'll treat you really good.

gdstour
Jul 17 2005, 03:44 PM
Hank,
Did you order the putters from us?
If you would like to place an order you should do so right away and we can get it our on monday or tuesday.
We will be out of pocket for the next few weeks starting on wednesday for the pro worlds.

BTW,
The Drone is an almost exact copy of the Demon, closer than any 2 other discs on the makrket out of the 100 plus.
We are using a little higher end polymer in our Sure grip "S" than Discraft uses in their D so ours would surely hold flight characteristics longer.

Jul 17 2005, 11:25 PM
Sure did; I don't have a credit card, so there is no way I can order quickly.

I sent in the check for the putters on the 21st; it cleared on the 8th; and I got an e-mail on the 12th asking about the order. I'm not even sure if they've been shipped yet.

I go back to work in August, and my playing will certainly decrease. If they were shipped on Tuesday, I should be getting them any day now.

Jul 19 2005, 04:39 PM
MMMmmmm thanks I thought it looked familiar and flew familiar to the blaze~! which is good since I threw my blaze in the corpus christi lake cuz I was bored.(along with my clear sabre) stupid stupid stupid