Jul 12 2005, 06:14 PM
I've been playing pretty consistently for 7 years and have never learned how to throw a proper forehand. I throw 450+ lhbh and I have always simply thrown a turnover instead of a forehand. I am to the point now that I need to learn how to do it.

I've tried off and on over the years, and can get a CE firebird 175g out there about 300 feet, but have never been able to control the direction, height or flight path. It just feels aukward and practicing hasn't helped much. I see some guys throw them so consistently, but they usually have never learned to throw a backhand and I haven't received much help. Any pointers?

Lisle

Jul 12 2005, 06:25 PM
pop it waist high like throwing a low side arm baseball shot. I use the 2 finger fan. Just throw with 50% until you feel the mechanics start to take over. You will have it in like 2 days. :D

Jul 12 2005, 06:32 PM
For your 2 finger fan, which finger is against the rim? Or are they both on it? Where is your thumb?

Jul 12 2005, 07:05 PM
middle finger on the rim putting pressure on the flight plate between thumb and middle finger. (pinching point). I separate my fingers for 300-350 and put them together for the flicking effect going deeper with an S flight. THROW IT FLAT!!!!

Jul 12 2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Jul 12 2005, 11:32 PM
There are three different grips for sidearm throws. I will explain how I grip it (the way the gives me the most control).

Put your index finger and middle finger on the rim of the disc. Your middle finger should be extended and your index finger should be bent and tucked in behind your middle finger. Your thumb should come to rest directly above your index finger (you want to pinch the disc between the thumb and index finger). Also, it will stabilize the disc if you put your ring finger on the outside edge of the disc - extend it right beside your middle finger. After you get the grip down you can experiement with it some. Try bending your index finger more or less to see how it effects the grip.

Also, don't forget to snap your wrist as you throw. If your disc is wobbling in the air as you release it is because you are not putting enough snap on it. Once you get the hang of it, you should be getting 250 ft+ pretty easy. Control will come with pratice. You should probably use overstable discs at first - the firebird, monster or orc will do fine - I prefer the orc.

Jul 13 2005, 12:37 AM
This is how i used to hold a disc for a Forehand:

http://www.centxdglove.com/uploads/flick2.jpg

Hope that helped.

-Scott Lewis

10xeagle
Jul 13 2005, 02:24 AM
I pinch the disc between my index finger (the inside edge of the rim between the first and second knuckle) and thumb. Get the outer edge of the disc up in the webbing between the thumb and index finger. It doesn't have to be wedged in there just kind of snug. I can get 325' on flat ground. Sometimes up to 350' maybe a little longer if get it just right. And I have fairly good control most of the time too.

Jul 13 2005, 03:17 AM
i'm a lefty, too. since learning the sidearm my home course has completely transformed itself in terms of my options. i personally grip it the way that dude who posted the picture of himself holding the teebird does, except my thumb is closer to the rim. i have pretty small hands, too.

i became more successful with sidearms when i:
found the right step up to allow my hips to rotate hard
found my backswing and wrist flicking action (flick it hard!)
like GrunioN said "THROW IT FLAT"
got my elbow a bit away from my body
got my body real low... which helps me keep it flat

i don't use too much arm... mostly hips n' wrist. i really focus on getting low, keeping the disc flat, and following through smooth.

i believe it's a very learnable shot if you just head out to a field and go for it or start playing "all flick" rounds. someone said "give it two days"... i think that's possible. with a little luck and few good sessions you'll have a consistent little flick ripe for quick improvement.

ShakeAndBake
Dec 13 2009, 02:24 PM
I am new to the sport. One prob I cant get rid of is the initial wobble after releasing the forehand. I throw a champ wraith.

davei
Dec 13 2009, 06:58 PM
I am new to the sport. One prob I cant get rid of is the initial wobble after releasing the forehand. I throw a champ wraith.

It is usually caused by a slight pronation of the wrist through the hit, which causes the off axis torque flutter. Try whipping with your normal hand/finger position and following through with your palm up

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

ChrisWoj
Dec 14 2009, 07:22 PM
Here's what causes people to have forehand wobble, and I've notice this is the case at least 9 times out of 10: You're snapping your wrist to impart spin on the disc.

That may sound correct at first, it makes sense. Snapping the wrist harder does lead directly to more spin on the disc. BUT there's a step in the middle few people seem to take note of: your fingers on the inside of the rim are what impart the spin on the disc. You should be applying pressure on the inside of the rim with the pads of your fingers (in the case of a forehand power grip) to create spin. The wrist snap's purpose is to create a stronger force with the pads of your fingers.

discette
Dec 15 2009, 01:54 PM
Here is a visual on the grip described:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html#forehand

perica
Dec 22 2009, 05:53 PM
i think a good way to think about it is that you want the disc to roll off the end of your finger. just keep that in mind. go out with a putter and stand still with your elbow pointed at the ground and forearm sticking straight up and just 'spin' the disc off the end of your finger. get that down and then go back to a driver.

ChrisWoj
Dec 24 2009, 07:54 AM
i think a good way to think about it is that you want the disc to roll off the end of your finger. just keep that in mind. go out with a putter and stand still with your elbow pointed at the ground and forearm sticking straight up and just 'spin' the disc off the end of your finger. get that down and then go back to a driver.
Can't agree with that - you want to be pushing and ejecting with the pads of your fingers. Feeling the disc "rolling" off of the end of your finger feels like a recipe for sawing off the disc or letting it fall out early.

geo
Dec 29 2009, 02:44 PM
THIS is the most important thing to remember...your arm speed can't exceed the amount of snap generated on the disc. Most people, when first staring out, tend to try and throw very hard to achieve distance and thus create wobble because they haven't generated enough snap to keep up with the power. You must first concentrate on release and snap. Try to throw the disc at 50%, concentrating on the "hit" at the end of the release, and then when you have generated enough snap start to throw it harder. I think you'll find that even at 50% the disc will be smoother and you'll get more accuracy and distance without throwing it hard. I hope this helps.

AviarX
Apr 04 2010, 11:08 AM
Here's what causes people to have forehand wobble, and I've notice this is the case at least 9 times out of 10: You're snapping your wrist to impart spin on the disc.

That may sound correct at first, it makes sense. Snapping the wrist harder does lead directly to more spin on the disc. BUT there's a step in the middle few people seem to take note of: your fingers on the inside of the rim are what impart the spin on the disc. You should be applying pressure on the inside of the rim with the pads of your fingers (in the case of a forehand power grip) to create spin. The wrist snap's purpose is to create a stronger force with the pads of your fingers.

i have always relied on my backhand and lately am trying to master the forehand for drives (i can throw putters with a forehand from 175 ft and in pretty well when needed). i don't have wobble as i get plenty of on-axis snap, but distance suffers. part is because of my tendency to get the nose-up, but after reading your above comment, i think it is also because i am throwing mainly with my wrist while the finger pads are passive. i will try to use a wrist-in-synch-with-fingerpad thrusted launch... do i read you right?

bravo
Apr 05 2010, 01:04 AM
start your throw at the feet then the knees then the hips then the lower back then the upper back then the sholders then the elbow then the wrist then the fingers.
when the correct timing is achieved of all steps and the power coordinates with the snap the wobble should dissappear.
try to throw control hyzers a shhort distance with an understable disc,
then work up to greater stability as your skill iss enhanced.
distance can come with less effort if the technique is pure.

gang4010
Apr 05 2010, 04:31 PM
If you flutter a forehand, then part of the problem is what you're doing with your hand. The disc is going to do whatever your thumb does. So if you find your thumb pointing up at release - then the disc is going to turn left or flutter, or both.

Work on finishing with your palm up - and thumb pointing to the right (for RHFH) - and the flutter will diminish rapidly.

shoe59
Apr 08 2010, 07:10 PM
to reitterate some others' points, follow through with your palm up and thumb pointing to the right (rhfh). Your index and middle finger should point directly at your target on the follow through.

Since you're new to the sport, the wraith may or may not be "too much disc" for you. If you're not getting out to at least 350 or 400 ft. sometimes then that's probably the case. You may just be trying to throw it too hard; a nice smooth clean release will give you more control and put you on your way to getting more controlled distance.

For more consistency I would recommend a champion teebird or eagle (173g+). A banshee or firebird would be good into the wind as well. These type of discs (fairway drivers) will teach you much better form and will only improve your distance and control in the long run.

CHILWILL
Apr 09 2010, 12:15 PM
Ok, do not throw an under-stable disc when first trying to figure out the side arm. Start with one finger. Yes, one finger. A lot of people try two fingers because they think it gives them more power. The reason for using one finger is it is theres less variables and more accurate then a two fingered approach.

When you hold your hand out to the side, with your palm perpendicular to the ground, pull your finger back and you will feel the tendon stop your finger. This is all the power you need to flick the disc. Using the tendon replaces having to use any muscles in your fingers.

Start out with a somewhat stable disc and throw at 50% until it feels natural. You do not need a run up, just take one smooth step and be smooth. The distance will come if your smooth.

JerryChesterson
Apr 12 2010, 04:19 PM
Start out with a somewhat stable disc and throw at 50% until it feels natural. You do not need a run up, just take one smooth step and be smooth. The distance will come if your smooth.

Probably the best piece of advice I've read on here. At first, the harder you throw a flick the less far it goes. Seems wierd but with very little effort as compared to backhand you can generate a lot of distance forehand.

TravAss
Sep 22 2010, 02:17 PM
Ok for starters im a primary forehand thrower for drives, because of an injury to my ankle. I recently read in discgolfer the right way to throw forehand is to put the index and middle finger on the inside of the disc and ive tried to throw like this but cant get it down. i throw now with just my index finger on the inside of the disc and can throw much more accurately. Should i learn to throw the other way or stick with what i got? i can throw max right now about 375ft

gippy
Sep 23 2010, 10:34 PM
http://www.averyjenkins7495.com/2009/06/01/disc-golf-grips/

CHILWILL
Oct 13 2010, 05:01 PM
Trav, i can throw sidearm upwards of 400, flat, with no S turn, with one finger. There is no rite or wrong way to throw sidearm, if one finger works for you as it does myself then keep on keeping on. Dont let people tell you one way or the other is write or wrong, its just like putting styles.. Oh, and get a Force and beat it a little and it will be your favorite sidearm disc!

james_mccaine
Oct 14 2010, 11:15 AM
No doubt. Why use two if one will do.

By the way, anyone throwing an accurate 375 feet forehand is in pretty good shape; if they can do it at all the shorter distances, they are in an elite club in my opinion.