Birdie
Jul 07 2005, 07:17 PM
I have a very cool chick that I hang out with a lot, and since I am so in to disc and it's all we ever do. She has decided to start taking the game on for real. Not just walking around and tossing the disc this way and that, she wants to know everything.
So, does anyone have any advice for women on how to play? Tips on driving, putting, good discs and weights? I am trying to teach her to throw like I do, but there is so much muscle mass difference, I figure there is something better for her. Thanks! :D

kittenchick
Jul 07 2005, 07:24 PM
i would say start out with 150 disc's..

quickdisc
Jul 08 2005, 01:29 AM
Watch the fingernails !!!!!

juliwithnoe
Jul 08 2005, 02:29 AM
Start her out with some beat up discs out of your bag. Do not let her pick out heavy weights even though she likes the color :confused: thats one of the biggest mistakes!! Give her 3 drivers, 2 midrange and one putter. Try to encourage her to use only them and get to know her plastic. I can't tell you how many times women come to play and every thing in their bag is too heavy and very overstable. The other advice is make sure she understands the how the wind effects her drives. It is also important to have her play with other women, we seem to be able to learn better from watching other women play. I hope this helps to keep another ladie out on the course, good luck too you all, juli

Greg_R
Jul 08 2005, 08:26 PM
RHO,
I was in the same spot a few months ago. I totally agree about having her play rounds with other women. My GF will listen to other women's tips more readily than my typical "do-this, do-that" style of instruction. Above all, make sure she is having fun!

Women generate most of their power from their legs and midsection (pound for pound they are stronger in these areas then men). Have her work on her footwork (start with a 1 step) and whipping the hips->back around.

Birdie
Jul 10 2005, 12:42 AM
Yeah, thank you all. I'm looking forward to getting some serious practice time here after the Riverside Glide in Tulsa. But thanks again for all of your advice guys! :cool:

quickdisc
Jul 11 2005, 08:04 PM
Tips for Women Players...........................Bring out some of your friends................Don't worry about the guy's , trying to pick up your friends.

Not all guys are like that...........Well........some ;)

Jul 11 2005, 09:43 PM
My wife uses a 150 class Leopard. She has a stingray as well.

Boneman
Jul 12 2005, 12:53 PM
My wife just started recently. I taught here a few things about throwing in the park, and then got her out on a course right away. She throws a [light] Stratus, and a Magnet putter (with a Buzzz, and MRV in her bag when she's ready for them ... She likes having the bag for her stuff).
Our local course is 20 par 3 holes. When we play together I let her set her own par #, she likes to play par 5, per hole. Then we don't keep overall score yet. We play best points per hole. I play 3, she plays 5, and she beats me sometimes ... Which she REALLY enjoys! So far, I would say she has had a blast every time she has played, and is always looking forward to going out again.

I never make her play longer than she wants to. If she wants to play 9 and leave, so be it. I will often drive our second car, so I can stay and play on if she wants to go. This way, if her arm gets sore, and it does for all newbie�s, she can honorably bow out of the round.

As far as throwing technique, I have suggested she not try to learn the x step yet, and simply concentrate on learning the disc, and how it flies when thrown hyser, flat and anhyser. She's been doing really well with this, and has been getting some good D. Tips, "like snapping a towel", "starting a lawnmower", and pulling straight across the chest, have helped her get a good level throw. Concentrating the energy on accuracy, and staying in the fairway, have helped here get her Par 5 goal. She can change it to Par 4 when she gains confidence, which I'm guessing will be in a week or two. Lol

I�m sure she�ll be kicking my butt soon, because she is really having fun.

Oh, one more tip. Don't try to "teach" her unless she asks. I try to play just like I'm playing with one of my buddies, high 5's and all.

Jul 13 2005, 11:04 AM
play naked

Jul 13 2005, 05:43 PM
...except during your period

morgan
Jul 14 2005, 08:11 AM
I am so offended by that post. You pig.

quickdisc
Jul 18 2005, 12:39 AM
Some guys , hate being beat by a Woman.

See other posts on this Issue !!!!! :eek:

I enjoy it when a Lady can play without an Attitude !!!!!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Most of the Lady's I have had the chance to play with , have always been supportive , encouraging and fun to be with !!!!!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

In Fact , I know a couple , who can even swear better than the guy's !!!!!! :eek: :D

quickdisc
Jul 18 2005, 12:41 AM
Just Kidding about the swearing part !!!!!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Guy's should never be jealous of women players.

There should be more Lady's playing !!!!!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jul 20 2005, 02:57 AM
Hey. I just read all of you guys' posts and thought I would mention what worked for me. I was tagging along while my husband would play and picked up a disc and threw. I did well enough but it was kinda discouraging the way he tried to instruct me. I felt more at ease, and I did better when I just did what felt natural to me. Of course I still have to work on things like improving my distance and then sometimes (I said I was a newbie, didn't I?) it goes off in the road. hehehe But I played today with a couple of local girls and found that I did SOOOO much better with the lower weighted discs, 150- like was mentioned already. I also did alot better with a Stingray than the Roc or the Beast and they were all around the same weight, I think. I can't wait to get back out there after I can buy some at the lower weights.

What someone already said about making sure she has FUN...that was the best part of my game today. I had great company and they were encouraging me along as we played. Yeah, we laughed a few times about some shots, but it was a more relaxed setting for me to be with other females playing. Okay, nuff said. I just wanted to mention what helped me. Sorry to write so much.
:D

quickdisc
Jul 20 2005, 07:51 PM
Nice.............that's all it is.............Just to have Fun.

Tournaments come later , in fact , you could play with three of your friends in some local tournament and have your own Fun division , if you wanted !!!!! :D

Guy's are Impatient sometimes . They want an Ace , Birdie........right away , all the time !!!!!

Par is like , getting run over. A Boggie is like getting shot in the head !!!!

Opps........I'm getting a little dramatic , but have seen many reactions from lots of clowns !!!!! :eek:

Just have fun. Experiment with different plastics and different weights and you will see what works best for you !!!!!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif