stevenpwest
Jul 07 2005, 12:03 AM
�Gender and age are particularly significant because they have a strong correlation with perceptions of safety. If a particular park count yields a high proportion of males between 18 and 45, it is likely that the park is frightening or intimidating to much of the population. Any park whose proportion of females is significantly below 50 percent probably needs detailed analysis and attention.�

from �If You Don�t Count, Your Park Won�t Count� by Peter Harnik and Amy Kimball, in the June 2005 Parks & Recreation Magazine, page 8

suemac
Jul 07 2005, 10:11 AM
Really funny. And I'm curious as to what it is you are trying to say. Could you be more specific? Any why did you feel the need to share it here?

Sharky
Jul 07 2005, 10:41 AM
I think he is on your side
Hey, I'm over 50 so don't worry about me :cool:

suemac
Jul 07 2005, 11:58 AM
Just asking a question and wondering what he's trying to say. I know that EVERYONE wants to see more female participation, especially those of us who already play. Are there any suggestions to be generated from this statistic?

This was not intended as an attack, just an invitation to know more about what he is trying to say.

jimbob8
Jul 07 2005, 06:03 PM
Men are known as the "preditor species" and it can be dangerous for those of you unaware of your surroundings. Remember there is safty in numbers, so if you can help it try not to play alone. We are all on your side, we encourage a positive enviorment, Not only focused on the women but new youngsters also.

stevenpwest
Jul 07 2005, 06:55 PM
Nothing more than just another reason to promote women in disc golf.

This came from a magazine that park directors read. If disc golfers are all men between 18 and 45, they'll think adding disc golf will make a park a more intimidating place. If over half are women, the park directors will see adding disc golf as a way to make a park less intimidating.

Jul 08 2005, 10:45 AM
Instead of promoting women can we just start discouraging men? I'd find that more enjoyable...

scoop
Jul 08 2005, 10:46 AM
While were on the subject of disproportionate use of state and city parks (how'd you like that segue?)...

State officials in Washington, worried that too many whites go camping and not enough minorities do, have created a government program (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2002356450_blackcampers03m.html) to convince more black residents to visit state parks.

You know, because bears on the prowl are demanding more diversity in their menu and the fish are getting sick and tired of The Man.

From the Seattle Times:

The State Parks and Recreation Commission has assembled data showing that many blacks, for a variety of reasons, are not frequent users of the state's 250,000 acres of parkland, particularly for activities like camping...

My concern: Some government busybody is collecting statistics on the race of parkgoers?! Creepy. Only in Seattle...

A friend of mine, Stefan Sharkansky, wrote (http://www.soundpolitics.com/archives/004718.html#004718), "Now if they can only convince more of my fellow Jews to go hunting and attend NASCAR races..."

LoudBottom
Jul 08 2005, 11:25 AM
Instead of encouraging females, wouldn't it just be more fun and entertaining to just discourage more males?

Jul 08 2005, 01:22 PM
ROFLMAO :D

suemac
Jul 08 2005, 02:12 PM
You guys........................

iheartdiscgolf
Jul 08 2005, 08:46 PM
I can think of a few males to discourage right now.... /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jul 16 2005, 01:32 AM
My name is Stephanie and I live for disc golf. I don't know what I would do without it. I am fairly new to where I live and I have yet to encounter another woman or young woman like myself playing a round. I have been playing for about three years now, but never in any tournaments. Unfortunatly this is whre the intimidation part comes into play. I admit I am intimidated, but only because a tournament would be something new. I have also found that many women and girls do not get into disc because they just and I quote "not good at it." Well I was not good when I first started to learn, but I played with the guys and eventually got better and better. Disc is something you gotta want to be good at. I think more women shoud just get out there and just throw one. They will see how awesome it is! And I understand the safety in numbers idea, but I'm new to Des Moines and I often times play alone but I always meet new people.