Jun 28 2005, 11:25 PM
I recently got a large bag that holds 20+ discs. I have been wanting to get some quad shocks but they sell for $40+. My question is - is it worth that much $$? Also, is Phenix a good brand or are there others? Thanks.

discgolfreview
Jun 28 2005, 11:45 PM
phenix is the only brand.

they are worth it... very very worth it.

paerley
Jun 28 2005, 11:47 PM
phenix is the only brand.

they are worth it... very very worth it.

He does not stress how truly worth it they are.

Hoppes
Jun 29 2005, 12:04 AM
Are quad shocks only available in one size? I have to tighten mine all the way to get my bag to hang right.

Parkntwoputt
Jun 29 2005, 12:29 AM
Are quad shocks only available in one size? I have to tighten mine all the way to get my bag to hang right.

Ditto.

But that is because I do not like a 25lb bag bouncing on my butt while I walk down the fairway.

Jun 29 2005, 12:30 AM
My fiance got Phoenix quad shocks in girl/child size. Contact them. They have smalls available.

anita
Jun 29 2005, 12:39 AM
I have had some back problems over the last few years. I got a set of quadshocks a year or so ago. The quadshocks make carring a bag do-able.

I think I have the old Beldin (sp) model of quadshocks. They are nice. They are very well made and don't fall apart, so it will be a one time expense.

Jun 29 2005, 03:55 AM
i almost went the cheap route but instead bought quad shocks after reading peoples comments. I got em last spring and they still are awesome. great craftsmanship for sure.

Jun 29 2005, 10:54 AM
I bought a knock-off set used for a ball golf bag, not bad but real confusing to hook up. I later got a different set that is still working fine.

Jun 29 2005, 11:06 AM
I ordered some quadshocks with the anticipation of my Revolution bag being too heavy (2 32 oz drinks). Haven't recieved them yet.

Seems like a great idea.

tafe
Jun 29 2005, 01:23 PM
Really? I've been with Phenix from the beginning and there is only one size.
To try and combat the size problem make sure to attach the "front" straps to the little pull tab things by the zippers for your dump pockets. This opens the straps up and makes it a little easier to get the bag sitting higher.

Jun 29 2005, 01:58 PM
Believe me, Tafe. :D

KT and I both got our quads at the Memorial in 2004 from Kyle. He hooked KT up with the smaller size. They're too small for me to use comfortably, but they're adjusted to a "normal" length, rather than cinched way the helI up.

I would reccomend talking to Kyle about it if you're interested in a small.

hazard
Jun 29 2005, 06:45 PM
I use a pair of military surplus load-bearing suspenders. For a long time I used two regular shoulder straps crossed with each other. I have also carried my brother-in-law's bag with quad shocks. My opinion is this:

Backpack style straps are worth it.

Straps that are meant to be used backpack-style are worth about $15 more than using criss-crossed regular shoulder straps because they don't get tangled.

Quad shocks are worth about $5 more than non-quadshock backpack straps. Increase the extra money they are worth if you regularly play more than four rounds a day or have back problems.

So...I wouldn't pay more than about $20 for quad shocks.

tafe
Jun 29 2005, 07:11 PM
I just talked w/ Kyle.
Just to clear up any misconceptions, there have been three types of Quadshoks ONLY;
the original Belding (called tournament) w/ velour
the newer Belding (called pro) w/ mesh and NO piping on the sides
and the new Phenix, like tournaments but stronger and mesh lining.
That's it, no sizes. The pro's seem larger than the others maybe that's why you think hers are small. Nothing against you, just don't want people calling for smalls that don't exist.

BTW, you will NEVER see new Quads for $20. It's all up to you, if you want the BEST, pay for it. If you have to skimp, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Jun 29 2005, 07:31 PM
Play AM and win some!

justingill
Jun 29 2005, 10:55 PM
Backpack style straps are worth it...
...I wouldn't pay more than about $20 for quad shocks.

No WAY! I paid $45 for my Phoenix Quads last year and they are worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!!

I have three differnet sized bags for different courses/events. I switch up the straps between the three bags because they are so nice.

I put them on my small bag even! The one that only holds 8 Discs!!!!!

THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY OF $45!!

And don't buy knock-offs. They will just be a waste of your money. WHY? Because 4 months later when the padding wears out, you'll have to buy some REAL Quad Shocks.

flynvegas
Jun 29 2005, 11:02 PM
I bought one today for $39.95 which included s&h.

bschweberger
Jun 30 2005, 10:44 AM
Quads RULE, I would like to thank my sponsor Kyle Maute and Phenix Disc Sports.

hazard
Jun 30 2005, 06:40 PM
BTW, you will NEVER see new Quads for $20. It's all up to you, if you want the BEST, pay for it. If you have to skimp, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I didn't say I expected to see them for $20. I said that in my opinion, the difference between quads and military surplus load bearing suspenders for comfort isn't worth more than about five bucks, so I wouldn't pay more than $20 for them. Other people may think they make more of a difference.

And don't buy knock-offs. They will just be a waste of your money. WHY? Because 4 months later when the padding wears out, you'll have to buy some REAL Quad Shocks.

I have managed to wear out the metal clips faster than I should have due to the fact that the suspenders are designed to be connected to a belt, not wrapped back behind me to a bag. However, a couple of carabiners are more than adequate replacements, and I'd almost be willing to bet a brand new pair of quad shocks that--other than that replacement--my military-grade alternative won't wear out before a pair of quads would.

the_kid
Jun 30 2005, 11:52 PM
The new G-Shock harness system is Kick ARSE I just put some on my tour bag and they feel way better than my quads. They feel like they will really hold up and the shocks and D rings on them are really sweet. :D

Jun 30 2005, 11:59 PM
G-shock? Who makes them?

kvo
Jul 01 2005, 12:41 AM
G-shock? Who make them?

Gateway

Jul 04 2005, 03:14 AM
Is there any information about these G-Shocks? It's the first time I've heard of them, and I'm already considering buying a Gateway bag. Are the made more specifically for the Gateway line of bags?

Jul 04 2005, 02:40 PM
i just got some phenix straps and they are great. well worth 30 bucks from Jons house of plastic.

Aug 24 2005, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking about getting some quad shocks or something similar, but was wondering if they will work with my Lightning Large/Pro-Style Bag (http://www.discnation.com/detail.asp?pid=119964)? And if it would work, what would be the best one for cheap?

Before you go bashing the bag, or anything else...I'm a poor college student, I'll get something else when this one wears through, but I've had it over a year and no problems yet (knocks on head in place of wood)

DreaminTree
Aug 24 2005, 06:14 PM
Yes, they should be fine. You just put the D-Rings for the left straps where one end of your current strap is, and the D-Rings for the right straps on the other end. Some bags have two sets of loops for the quad shocks to hook onto and that balances the bag a little better (having 4 supporting points instead of two). I use quadshocks with my Discraft Tournament bag which is pretty much the same as yours, and its fine.

Aug 24 2005, 06:30 PM
Everybody around my area that uses the shocks are innova guys, and all have the big bag with the seperate loops for the straps, that's why I wondered, thank you.

Now, does anyone have any they are looking to get rid of, for a reasonable price? remember, I'm poor :D

m_conners
Aug 24 2005, 06:35 PM
I use phenix quads...left my bag in the garage on the ground, my woman pulled in the garage and parked on the left shoulder harness just overnight....got up in the morning and my left harness was FLAT AS A PANCAKE...G*D I was so mad, sh*t happens.

geomy
Aug 24 2005, 06:43 PM
I just got my quadshocks a couple of weeks ago. They work great, but I noticed a spot on my back was was getting a little sore. Sure enough, I have a small mole on my back getting rubbed raw from constantly taking the bag off/on my shoulders. Should I wear a bandaid, let it rub completely off, or get a doctor to remove it??? Theres a big tourney here this weekend - three rounds will surely aggrivate it more.

m_conners
Aug 24 2005, 06:59 PM
Ouch...might need to break out the single strap :D

Aug 25 2005, 01:36 PM
I paid 40 bucks for mine and was wondering whether it would be worth it. Now, that I've used them, I would have paid 60. (and I'm poor too)

krazyeye
Aug 25 2005, 01:39 PM
I'll be sure to pat you on the back.

Aug 25 2005, 01:45 PM
That's not his back...

cbdiscpimp
Aug 25 2005, 01:49 PM
I use phenix quads...left my bag in the garage on the ground, my woman pulled in the garage and parked on the left shoulder harness just overnight....got up in the morning and my left harness was FLAT AS A PANCAKE...G*D I was so mad, sh*t happens.

Be glad it was just your straps that got ran over. I was leaving for a tournament on my home course the other day and my girlfriend back my Blazer over my Carolina Team Bag that I had sat behind the car :eek: :mad::mad::mad:

krazyeye
Aug 25 2005, 02:02 PM
�Que?

m_conners
Aug 25 2005, 02:09 PM

Be glad it was just your straps that got ran over. I was leaving for a tournament on my home course the other day and my girlfriend back my Blazer over my Carolina Team Bag that I had sat behind the car :eek: :mad::mad::mad:

Ouch, that is much worse than getting your quads ran over...did the frame inside the bag break?

cbdiscpimp
Aug 25 2005, 02:21 PM
Ouch, that is much worse than getting your quads ran over...did the frame inside the bag break?

It sure did. And thats the SECOND time my frame broke. What makes it worse is I spent 2 hours making the frame that was in there because the first one broke when I got in my accident after Bowling Green :mad:

All is well though. The bag is fine I got 2nd in the tournament and I have since made a new bag frame. I mean I knew the Revolution bags were tough before but to come out of this without a rip or a tear is AMAZING :D

quickdisc
Aug 25 2005, 02:25 PM
I really dig my mini revolution bag with quad shocks.
It does not have the frame inside , so I can fit 12-14 easy.

Does not hurt my shoulders and I just walked over 7 miles with it this past weekend !!!!!!! :D

Aug 25 2005, 02:57 PM
You can also order replacement frames from Revolution.

I wouldn't mind making a similar frame to store my spare discs; beats having them all piled up in a box in the closet.

What materials did you use to make it?

gdstour
Aug 25 2005, 10:29 PM
you can try
8mm coreplast
3/4" schedlue 40 PVC
3/4" male/female- threaded electrical adapters

Aug 26 2005, 01:41 AM
A guy around here has one. He has a extended cab pick up truck and keeps all his discs behind the seats in an "extended" bag frame. Its as wide as the truck. Its awsome and he can pull it out with ease to go through them...

cbdiscpimp
Aug 26 2005, 09:37 AM
You can also order replacement frames from Revolution.

I wouldn't mind making a similar frame to store my spare discs; beats having them all piled up in a box in the closet.

What materials did you use to make it?

Wood dowel rods and Plexi_glass. I cut my plexi_glass into 3 inch by 9 inch pieces and then drilled holes about and inch and a half from the bottom of the piece and an inch and a half in from the side which is where I screwed the wood dowel rods in at. The sheet of plexi_glass I used cost 12.99 at Home Depot but you would be able to cut atleast 10 3x9 pieces out of that and the dowel rods only cost about 2.50 a piece at Home Depot as well. If you have something to cut the plexi_glass with its not a very long process unless you want to smooth out the edges and in that case it takes a little more time because you have to file down and sand the edges. i would thing if you were using it for storage and not in the bag you could make 5x9 inch sections so the discs stood up better and you could also use the entire dowel rod instead of an 11 inch section like I used in the bag.

I hope that helps.

MillZ

Aug 26 2005, 02:25 PM
That does help.

I get the dowel and plexiglass part, but what are you guys using for the part of the frame that covers the dowel, the plastic things with ridges? Isn't this what make the discs stand up?

And I like the idea to mount one on the car. I drive a divorce car (also known as a KIA); I'm thinking of mounting something similar to the back seat, so that I can store extra discs that way.

cbdiscpimp
Aug 26 2005, 02:28 PM
That does help.

I get the dowel and plexiglass part, but what are you guys using for the part of the frame that covers the dowel, the plastic things with ridges? Isn't this what make the discs stand up?

And I like the idea to mount one on the car. I drive a divorce car (also known as a KIA); I'm thinking of mounting something similar to the back seat, so that I can store extra discs that way.

I think you can buy that kind of coping at Home Depot as well but I didnt look and the discs stand up because of the frame alone not because of that blue plastic that Revolution puts on there. Thats just makes it look more proffessional and finished rather then just having wood dowels.

I am the Manager of the parts Department at a Kia dealership. Thats kind of ironic :D

Aug 26 2005, 02:33 PM
Cool, if I ever get my credit fixed, maybe I'll buy another.

kvo
Aug 27 2005, 11:07 AM
what are you guys using for the part of the frame that covers the dowel, the plastic things with ridges?

You could use the plastic tubing used to run wires in vehicles, they have different sizes last time I was at Menards (similar to HD)

Aug 27 2005, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know where to get some quadshocks for cheaper than $40? Anyone have used ones they are looking to get rid of?

quickdisc
Aug 28 2005, 08:32 PM
Hmmmmm.......that is standard price , I believe.

Plus , you probably don't want someones used Quads.
You would have to wash the stink and sweat out of them.
Not sure how washable they are.

Check around though :

www.sunkingdiscs.com (http://www.sunkingdiscs.com)
www.dtworld.com (http://www.dtworld.com)
www.gottagogottathrow.com/catalog/ (http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/catalog/)
www.skysouth.com (http://www.skysouth.com)

For examples.........

Aug 28 2005, 09:22 PM
That is a very good point, about the stink, only reason I mentioned that, is because I may be getting a used tour bag for free, but I don't think he knows where the strap is anymore and he's keeping his quads. I will check those sites though, thanx.

the_kid
Aug 28 2005, 09:24 PM
just get some in payout at a tourney

Aug 29 2005, 01:39 AM
Save up and get some used ones. I had the same cash flow problem; it's worth skipping a lunch or two to get them. Took me several months to get mine.

tafe
Aug 29 2005, 03:22 PM
Wash you straps as you would wash anything fine and delicate (not that they are).
Hand wash with Woolite or some gentle detergent,
Rinse WELL,
and let them hang to air dry.

BTW, this is the same way I wash my hats, bag and shoes not to mention straps.
Treat your stuff well and it'll last a loooong time!