Jun 28 2005, 03:27 AM
I am wondering about wrist curl in the throw, whether or not most Big Throwers curl the hand very much.
In practice on the soccer field I curl it but when I am on Dg Course I really do not think about puting any major curl in my wrist. As I seem forget to , thinking about other variables concerning the course. Like accuracy, obstacles etc..etc..
Do most Pros curl their wrist in their beginning stages of the throw ??? And will having big wrist curl help with snap ??
Thanks !!

P.S. It would seem to me it makes sense that the more you curl the wrist, the better chance in having that whipping motion at the release of the Disc. And ultimately producing more snap and distance. I don't know maybe I am wrong about this.

discgolfreview
Jun 28 2005, 04:31 AM
there is a split philosophy on wrist curl. many believe the wrist should be locked down throughout the pull, some talk about attempting to lock the wrist down but to let the incidental motion of the wrist happen, while others use a fairly pronounced curl.

i'm split on this as my period of having noticeably above average distance lasted about 3 months before my series of major injuries decided to happen. i do know that i was throwing farther then when i allowed for some curl vs. attempting to keep the wrist locked in the neutral position... although this may have been caused by timing (or lack there of).

however, since then i have also noticed that when i do not allow my wrist to curl as much i am generally more accurate but have slightly less D.

as for curl... i am trying to get to the bottom of it (unfortunately my wrist cannot handle more than about 30 drives in 1 day) but haven't been able to do the necessary field work to figure it out.

after doing a lot of research on plyometrics (rapid contraction of a pre-stretched muscle due to training of fast twitch fibers in combination with tendon elasticity) it does, under this theory, support the idea of wrist curl for increased force. it also seems to explain the nature of hyperspin via finishing with an open wrist.

all i know is that most of the bigger throwers out there do get some wrist bend as right before the elbow extension but that very few start with a curled wrist and even fewer throw california style (the disc is cuffed).

i'll focus on testing this again later in the week when i can make it out to throw.

disctance00
Jun 28 2005, 01:36 PM
Trying to be as humble as possible I get my distance from having my wrist slightly cocked in towards the wrist and squeezing on the disc and generating the power from my feet up through the body in a fluid motion. I believe too much curling makes your accuracy suffer untill you play for years adapting it like CD Stiener.(Crazy curl) But I guess to answer your question a combination of a slight curl in the wrist and follow through produce the best distance without your accuracy suffering.

Jun 28 2005, 02:49 PM
Is having alot of curl in your wrist necessary to throw far ??.

NO. And it looks kinda g a y.

Jun 28 2005, 03:03 PM
It's been my experience that trying to consciously curl your wrist leads to a very unnatural feel during the pull through. The muscles of your arm are going to perform their best if they are more relaxed. Most of your power is coming from your torso anyway.

I don't believe that you would get any more spin from a curled wrist either. The spin is imparted when the disc forcibly rips from your grip - not wrist flick per se.

Some natural wrist curl is going to happen as you begin to accelerate our arm forward due to the inertia of the disc. Trying to mess with the disc's own momentum by applying your own muscle power to it would seem to be detrimental to timing and fluidity of motion throughout the pull.

Hope that made a little sense.

--D

my_hero
Jun 28 2005, 06:43 PM
Is having alot of curl in your wrist necessary to throw far ??.

NO. And it looks kinda g a y.

Is that last word suppossed to be g[/b]ay? What's up with the spaces?:D

james_mccaine
Jun 28 2005, 06:53 PM
I thought [I'm a potty-mouth!] was a [I'm a potty-mouth!] word? :D

james_mccaine
Jun 28 2005, 06:55 PM
Wow, I guess one must be [I'm a potty-mouth!] to have the word appear for them. :D

I bet you thought the [I'm a potty-mouth!] word was [I'm a potty-mouth!], but it was really [I'm a potty-mouth!]. :o

my_hero
Jun 28 2005, 07:16 PM
Would you like me to type that for you? :D;)

krazyeye
Jun 28 2005, 07:19 PM
Well I know g</a>ay is cen</a>sored on the rest of the board.

my_hero
Jun 28 2005, 07:22 PM
:D

james_mccaine
Jun 28 2005, 07:24 PM
****, y'all are un-censorable. :D

Now, back to discussing limp-wristed power throwers.

Jun 28 2005, 08:41 PM
Regardless of whether or not it is g<font color="black">ay</font>, I use a lot of wrist curl when putting. Don't know why, but it always seems to help my focus if I do it.

reddman
Jun 28 2005, 09:00 PM
He said, "Ga[/b]y." :D