lonhart
Jun 26 2005, 01:53 PM
I was thinking about two situations that come up quite often. In both cases, the rounds are officially over, but it is day one of a two day tournament in a heavily used public park.

#1. Joe Discer just finished a horrible round and his group has turned in the cards, ending the round. He is then observed by many kicking his disc bag, yelling some profanities, and generally acting very rude while in the parking lot of a public park course (but none of this is directed at any particular person). Had he done this during the round, a courtesy warning would have been warranted.

Is this upset player still subject to the rules governing such behavior? If so, who gets to approach him and tell him? The TD? And only if the TD saw it?

#2. John Discer (Joe's brother), had a great round and is ready to celebrate after his group turned in the cards. It's lunch time and he heads to the cooler in his car and cracks open a nice, cold beer. However, the TD informed everyone at the player's meeting that alcohol was prohibited in the park.

As a responsible disc player and promoter of the sport (in a public venue), what should one do? Is there anything in the rules that covers this?

Cheers,
Steve

slo
Jun 26 2005, 03:56 PM
1). 804.03 F. After the scorecard is turned in, the score shall stand with no appeal, except for the following circumstances:
(1) Penalty throws may be assessed at whatever time the infraction is discovered until the director declares the tournament officially over or all awards have been distributed. But can the infraction happen anytime, or only during a round? I'm thinking: Round.

2). Root beer, right? :p

rhett
Jun 26 2005, 04:51 PM
I think it is in the sanctioning agreement where the official PDGA mandate is for you to call the cops for between-round illegal activities.

Pretty weak if you ask me.

Jun 26 2005, 06:07 PM
I think it is in the sanctioning agreement where the official PDGA mandate is for you to call the cops for between-round illegal activities.

As per earlier discussions concerning the illegal substances policy:

1) PDGA Rules are in force at the tournament venue from the time a player registers at the tournament site until the TD declares the event over;

2) PDGA policy permits responsible consumption of alcohol upon completion of a player's round(s) for the particular day, or in-between rounds, if permitted on park grounds and/or course property;

3) PDGA policy requires TDs to DQ players for illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol during a round, i.e., between the two minute warning and the time the scorecard is turned in; it permits, but does not require, TDs to DQ for illegal consumption between rounds or upon completion of a player's round(s) for that day.

slo
Jun 26 2005, 06:37 PM
Rhett, do you mean it's weak the TD's hands are tied, or weak that TD can't "legislate" here [handle it]? Because if the latter it seems there is already a provision for the director to use, as Felix pointed out.

neonnoodle
Jun 26 2005, 08:04 PM

Clearly a firing squad at dawn is what is called for...

Jun 26 2005, 10:37 PM
Rhett, do you mean it's weak the TD's hands are tied, or weak that TD can't "legislate" here [handle it]? Because if the latter it seems there is already a provision for the director to use, as Felix pointed out.

Neither: weak in comparison to the earlier version of the rule on illegal consumption:

PDGA Rules for the Sport of Disc Golf (adopted June 1990). Section 804.04 Disqualification and Suspension; section B:

"B. The tournament director must disqualify a player, with forfeiture of any prize money and no refund of entry fees, if reasonable and conclusive proof exists of the player's illegal possession or consumption of drugs or alcohol during the tournament.

(1) This rule applies from the morning of the day that the tournament begins until the evening of the day that the tournament completes.

(2) This rule applies to tournament locations, including the course, surrounding park and parking areas, public areas of the tournament (hotel & motel), or any other place where such behavior would negatively impact the image and future of the sport."

keithjohnson
Jun 26 2005, 11:49 PM
VERY WEAK that td's used to have some say about trying to keep things as decent as possible during events...but as the nt got started, the rest of the td world just got "policies"...one after another to help them with their events...
but at least things will get better for td's next year!!!...
they'll get to decide if they want 2 meters or not anymore....
drink or get hammered or do drugs anytime and anyplace you like around the park or course as long as your scorecard is turned in....BUT at least i get to choose if the 2 meter rule gets to be enforced at the course....
BETTER WATCH YOURSELF! :p :p :p :p :p :( :(
:mad::mad: