Jun 22 2005, 11:47 AM
Does anyone throw an Xpress? I ordered one a couple of weeks ago for a right turn driver and maybe to replace my stingray as a roller.

Not that it's a bad disc, but is stable for me and does not turn right. As a roller, I can roll it out there (backhand sky), but it's a little hard to control.

Should I have bought a sidewinder?

my_hero
Jun 22 2005, 12:07 PM
I use the Z-Xpress for a roller, or for right hand turns. IT is a little stable at 1st, but so is a sidewinder. Give it time.

Was it the Z, or the X-Xpress?

Parkntwoputt
Jun 22 2005, 12:07 PM
The Sidewinder is the best roller out of the box.

The Express, like it's Innova counterpart The Leopard, is slightly stable when brand new.

One thing to consider is what weight did you get it in? Was it the Z-Plastic, which is slightly more stable?

A non-damaging way to break in a disc is to hold it with both hands and start flexing it over and over again. This simulates smacking trees, and does not cause damage to the disc.

The express is still a good turning disc and a roller. Give it some time.

Chainiac
Jun 22 2005, 12:28 PM
Should I have bought a sidewinder?

One of my first discs was a Stingray. I love them for right turn shots. I picked up a Sidewinder this past winter. I like them both. I don't get the distance with the Stingray that I get with the Sidewinder. I use the Stingray on short dog leg right holes. I use the Sidewinder on holes with more distance to the (turn) dog leg right or when I need to swing out to the left of an obstacle and then come back right.

I tried the X-Xpress last summer but found it to be too stable. I didn't give it much time though. I went back to what I knew worked.

Jun 22 2005, 12:43 PM
It is a Z Xpress, around 169. Actually if it stays stable, I may keep is as my straight driver, but I figure it will start flipping as I have an ongoing love affair with Texas Mesquite (trees).

I still keep a stingray as a roller.

I do think it may be too light as a roller. I was hoping to get more distance than my ray for right turns.

Every since my flash went in the lake, I've been using it (and my wildcat) as my primary driver until I decide if I want another Flash, which turned over for me way too much (hence why it's in the city lake). I did get good distance out of that poor flash. But, alas it sleeps with the fishes....

Jun 22 2005, 02:22 PM
X-Press is my favorite disc for turnover backhand shots. For very fast and long shots that turn over, it's the best disc out there. Also for uphill shots when you are afraid your regular driver will hyzer left before getting up the hill.

I carry 2 in my bag, both beat up. I use elite X plastic not Z because Z never beats up so it won't be as good as a turnover disc as the elite X plastic. I really love my express discs!!! They are my go-to discs for anything where I don't want too much stability.

It's much longer and faster than a Leopard. Compares more to a Valk than a Leop.

Jun 22 2005, 07:01 PM
I have one. I really like it. I just never grab it out of the bag.

It seems like I have something that does the shot better. Long anny ... I grab my Sidewinder. Short anny ... I grab my Stingray. Fast Helix ... I grab an XS or something. Short hyzer ... i grab my wasp. Long hyzer ... get the Beast. (I don't throw many rollers ... I want to practice that one)

This does many things ... it just always seems that something does that particular shot much better. It seems to have a lack of personality and focus in my game. It's so much of an all-purpose disc that I don't need one .. I have a particular disc for each purpose.

Jun 22 2005, 09:22 PM
Uphill turnover shot that needs to go 250-300 feet up a hill and still turn right.

Jun 22 2005, 09:24 PM
I've got a nicely aged X-Xpress that is probaly the most understable disc i own.

Jun 23 2005, 01:25 AM
Even when they are beat up they still fly straight if you don't put too much on it. They don't turn over to an extreme level, it's not an automatic roller disc or anything. They are so fast they still go 300 feet before turning over. Not like a beat up stingray or beat up stratus that go 30 feet and flop over. The Xpress is always good for long long shots. Just remember if you want to throw it 300 not to throw it real hard and it still flies straight if you don't crank it too hard.

my_hero
Jun 23 2005, 01:12 PM
^^^ Great post!

This newbie at the mini last night was having trouble getting any of his other molds to go straight. I GAVE him a brand new Z-Xpress and told him to go to the field and throw this flat across your chest and about 10' off the ground. Within 10 minutes he had a 300' DEAD STRAIGHT drive. He couldn't have been more pleased. It's a great disc for all levels of play. This was his 2nd mini, and 20th round ever!

Jun 23 2005, 01:41 PM
i sell discs, im the guy sitting at hole #1 with a variety of plastic, and the #1 and #2 sellers are Z and X xpress. I recomend them to anyone who is still learing their throwing style, as a great straight, easy to learn disc that turns into one of the most versitle (sp) disc out there, roc excluded.,
I use them as a straight tree dodging roller, and would suggest this to anyone.
another thought, Try hammering this disc, it will give you a very exagerated corkscrew. close to 20 ft of side to side motion. great for dodging trees and it will always sit at the end.
Also hammering helps beat up even Z plastic.

Jun 23 2005, 01:54 PM
They are so fast they still go 300 feet before turning over.

Holy crap! I noticed this happening yesterday to my Viking... it would go straight for like 250' and THEN turn over, and then just fade and die real quick... I've never seen anything like it. You say this is because the disc is fast? My beast doesn't do that.. but once again my disclaimer that I don't know how to throw... so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong...

Jun 23 2005, 03:35 PM
All the great responses that I received inspired me to go out and play around with nothing but my Xpress. It may find a place as my primary driver. It is flying straight with no turn and very little fade. I threw it where I normally throw my predator with a little hyzer, and it outdrove my predator by 10 feet.

It's the best disc I have for uphill drives. It also outdrove my Viking.

Now for another question, do I want a Sidewinder as a right turn/roller? My mistake is obvious now: I have an elite Z which will not beat up like the regular plastic.

I bought an elite z xs several years ago with the purpose of beating it up and turning it over, and it still flies fairly straight.

Jun 23 2005, 10:34 PM
I use an old Z disc for all my tight woods shots where I'm sure to hit trees. Saves money on discs. It's an XL and has probably hit 1000 trees over the past 4 years. Still flies like it did 4 years ago. Z plastic is forever.

Jun 28 2005, 02:33 AM
Z plastic really is forever.

I have a Z Xpress. I call it the devil disc. I even drew a devil on it. It's the most stubbornly overstable disc I've thrown outside of a Banshee and it doesn't even go that far for me when compared with a Flash or a Viking. My Xpress is in the 172-3g range. For perspective, I top out at about 425'.

I bought the Xpress looking for a driver that would turn over right out of the box for me and still be fast enough to go somewhere. The guy who sells to me, Jerry at Discgolfdepot.com, said this was the disc that will do it if anything would (this was before the days of the Sidewinder). I took it out to the range and all I was getting was left turn, left fade. As my abilities increased, it still wouldn't go beyond straight out with a big fade.

So I got frustrated. One particularly aggravating day, I snapped and I just started throwing it into a curb. Over and over and over. I tacoed it over and over in every possible half. I hacked that disc to pieces practically. Then I picked it up and threw it and it still went dead straight, big fade. It was in shambles, the edge was so rough I cut myself just tossing it. It was like it gave me the finger.

So I ran it over with my car. You heard me. I backed over it, and then ran over it, and then backed over it again and ran over it again. My friends picked it up and shook their head. Not broke enough. So I backed up on top of it and pealed out. It shot about 50 feet. It had sustained catastrophic damage. I threw it and it still wouldn't turn over. At this point in my game, I was turning over my Beast, Flash, Orc, Viking, Valkyrie and had even bent my buddy's Flick right one time. This disc had gravel pocks, whole channels shaved out of it, rough edges and road rash all over.

And it still didn't turn right for me. My hats off to all those who got em to work, I think mine is just cursed. It's the devil disc and I'll never throw it again.

Jun 28 2005, 07:53 AM
I have 2 beat up X Press's and they turn right easily. Even on midrange shots they turn over. I also have a brand new one and it turns left. All in X plastic.

Brand new out of the box the X-Press is overstable and super fast. You can't turn it over unless you crush it. But beat up, it turns over like Peter Pan at Michael Jackson's house. X plastic. Don't know about Z.