Jun 22 2005, 12:13 AM
While out in a basball field today practicing the x-step trying to get more D, it was the complete opposite. While using my normal(Z-step) I had some nice 300ft drives (my normal is 260) technique, but when I tried the X-step, it would go anywhere from 50-100ft shorter and very far right. Finally about 40 throws later I was able to get the x-step to put it the same distance as my others, but it was the farthest off to the right of the day. Should I just stick with my normal technique or keep working with the x?

discgolfreview
Jun 22 2005, 02:37 AM
keep working on the x-step.

if you were pulling drives to the right you most likely were starting the pull before your foot hit the ground. make sure your plant/pivot foot hits the ground before your upper body starts its pull.

Jun 22 2005, 04:25 PM
This may be a kinda stupid/hard to answer question, but where should my arm be through the steps? I know my timing was way off.

Jun 22 2005, 05:56 PM
Actually, it's not a stupid question, I was wondering the same thing the other day and I believe that where your non-throwing arm is important too... I did different things with it just messing around and I saw some big differences... the best result I got was from just leaving it hang on my side and not moving it deliberately at all... I don't know if thats what one is supposed to do or not though...

quickdisc
Jun 22 2005, 06:23 PM
I have an X-Step problem. It happened a few years ago , when I was in a car accident.

I no longer have an X-Step , in fact it may be totally opposite.

Opposite foot in front. Some say it looks retarded.

I developed this to take pressure off by back and hips , as my knees were taking the brunt of the leg twist.

Instead of full snaping from my ankles , through hips and wrist , I had to adjust motion from ankles to hips , without any knee flex pull.

This resulted in Upper shoulder rotation lean , almost like throwing a roller on every shot !!!!! Tough stuff to deal with.

Now ,I just about throw every shot ,a two step method so I don't look so goofey.

Someone told me , to go back to Surfing and Skateboarding to get my Balance and Rythem back. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I had more power in legs and arms back then.

Dang...........Getting old *SUCKS* !!!!!!! :D

How many guys you know of still Skate and Surf in their late 40's ? :cool:

Jun 22 2005, 07:27 PM
How many guys you know of still Skate and Surf in their late 40's ? :cool:

Tony Alva for one. I think he's around 46 now and is still kicking butt. An inspiration to all of us 40 somethings.

http://www.alvahardcore.com/index.php?history

discgolfreview
Jun 22 2005, 11:41 PM
This may be a kinda stupid/hard to answer question, but where should my arm be through the steps? I know my timing was way off.

i've seen this vary a lot. a lot of players "prime their shoulder" by starting with the disc out and swinging it back between the cross and pivot. i have also seen players that start with the disc backish (by their left shoulder) and reach a little more. with this second type you see a lot more variance in the timing of their reach back, all the way from reaching at the start of the cross step to not reaching until the last moment before their foot hits the ground.

imo, when you reach back is less important than being balanced and being able to focus your power into and through the rip.

I was wondering the same thing the other day and I believe that where your non-throwing arm is important too... I did different things with it just messing around and I saw some big differences... the best result I got was from just leaving it hang on my side and not moving it deliberately at all... I don't know if thats what one is supposed to do or not though...

the off arm can be used to emphasize the shoulder motion (but is not necessary if your mechanics can get this behavior on their own). you can use the off arm to pull your upper body to rotate farther away. you can also use the off arm to "aid" in your finish but making sure you will get a complete follow through and shoulder rotation.

Jun 23 2005, 12:40 AM
i find that the off arm postion in realtion to your body movement is very useful, the closer to your body the less resistance to the rotational movement of your body (faster arm speed) which in many cases leads to an extended drive. More importantly i find that an extended arm can slow your rotaion enough to lend a great deal of release time accuracy in shorter mid-range/long putt senarios. In essence enabling you to throw the "same" shot with different ranges depending on the angle of follow through with your off arm. This has helped me greatly reduce the number of shanked midrange throw and drives. It was also the last key to the puzzle of throwing putters that i questioned blake about earlier in this thread.

Jun 23 2005, 02:03 PM
Every day is an adventure in driving for me... I keep trying new stuff to see what happens. Yesterday I combined:

1. Gripping the living crap out of the disc (My hand is sore today)
2. Stomping my right foot at the end of my throw. It sounds weird but I think it helped me get a faster/stronger rotation as I saw an immediate improvement in my average distance. Not much, but an improvement.

Does this sound right?

discgolfreview
Jun 23 2005, 05:49 PM
1. Gripping the living crap out of the disc (My hand is sore today)

if you can, focus the grip strength into the rim wall of the disc (and therefore into your hand) vs. just any grip strength in general.

2. Stomping my right foot at the end of my throw. It sounds weird but I think it helped me get a faster/stronger rotation as I saw an immediate improvement in my average distance. Not much, but an improvement.

Does this sound right?

i don't really condone stomping... as it usually leads to fluidity loss and jerky movement. i'm going to wager what happened here was that you were able to get a lot of muscle flex that you normally didn't as you executed the stomp and focused power, but not because of the stomp itself. chances are your legs and other stabilizing muscle groups were not used to being flexed during your throw and this simply got them firing harder.

before continuing with the stomp, my advice is to just use a good old fashioned grunt when you throw. a rapid exhale will help in the rapid contraction of deep abdominal and pelvic muscles and help stabilize your body and harness more power, especially if your muscles are weak in those areas.

i always seem to throw 20' farther when i get a good grunt in and i hound my doubles partner to remind me to grunt before i drive on long holes.

Jun 23 2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks again for the advice Blake, if I ever go pro... I owe you one :)

I guess "stomp" isn't the right word. I think what I did would be more accurately described as actively thinking about that foot coming down with a force that would begin the twisting out of the rest of my body. It wasn't like stomping the ground as hard as I could.

As far as the grunting, I believe it. I've noticed a difference when I do it, and when everything is fluid and I get some of my better drives, it's almost like the grunt is forced out of my by the motion that my body goes through, but from now on I'll actively think about it when I am practicing my drive.

And as far as the gripping placement, I'll take your advice, because there was some unneccesary pressure that I was putting onto the top of the disc with my thumb I guess, and in my opinion, if it's not helping, it's hurting.

discgolfreview
Jun 23 2005, 10:08 PM
ah. i have worked with a few players that would stomp so hard they would bruise their heel. the important thing to make sure of is that you can pivot freely.