Jun 21 2005, 03:38 PM
So Am Nationals can only be qualified for (in a tourny) if you play MA1, is this correct? Other than that, I can qualify if I am in the top 5 rated players in my state or by completing a qualifying round the week of the tourny... am I missing anything? Is there no MA2 nat'l championship? Thanks!

Parkntwoputt
Jun 21 2005, 04:02 PM
You can qualify one of three ways.

1) Place in the top 20 or 20% (which ever comes first) in a qualifying tournament, MA1 divison only.

2) Be one of the top 3 rated players in your state whom has not already qualified by tournament placing.

3) Go to the qualifying rounds the week before the tournament. $25 per round, best score of the round gets in, untill the tournament is filled.

The tournament has not filled so far, so if you really want to go then you can go early and play the qualifier.

But this is supposed to be like the USDGC for Am's, hence USADGC, there is only one division and hence only one champion. The winner last year is now a sponsored Open player, though I believe he was also sponsored as an Am.

I would go, but I cannot take the time off of work to play in a $25 qualifier, and I was 3 strokes from qualifying at the only qualifing tournament I was able to attend this year. Best of luck if you choose to go. It is a course that will challenge every aspect of a players game. It is not for the weak of heart.

Jun 21 2005, 04:06 PM
What if someone in my state qualifies and chooses not to go? Does it move down the list until the three spots are taken?

I think I'll see how I do at the Michiana in AM2 before I go getting all overzealous... there's always next year.

ck34
Jun 21 2005, 04:14 PM
The Mid-Nationals is now the place for lower rated Ams to seek a National title. Any player with a rating below 975, Am or Pro has a fair chance to compete for a title among players at their skill level.

Parkntwoputt
Jun 21 2005, 04:14 PM
From what I understand, no it does not matter. But again, that is only because the tournament has yet to fill up like USDGC, the demand is not there. If you truly want to go, you are able to.

jconnell
Jun 21 2005, 04:22 PM
You can qualify one of three ways.

1) Place in the top 20 or 20% (which ever comes first) in a qualifying tournament, MA1 divison only.

2) Be one of the top 3 rated players in your state whom has not already qualified by tournament placing.

3) Go to the qualifying rounds the week before the tournament. $25 per round, best score of the round gets in, untill the tournament is filled.

Actually, it is the top 5 rated players in each state this year. And in order to be considered one of the top five, you have to have a minimum number of rounds in your rating (same as to be a propagator). Those spots do not pass down if they go unused, same as the top 20% at tournaments don't get passed down. The only way spots are passed down among the ratings-based invitations is if one of the top 5 is already qualified through a tournament.

Am Nationals website (http://www.amnationals.com/qualification/qualifiers.htm)

--Josh

ck34
Jun 21 2005, 04:25 PM
BTW, Mid-Nats is an Am Nationals qualifier if you enter the Blue division and finish in the top 20%.

Parkntwoputt
Jun 21 2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks for correcting me Josh, I am at work and did not have time to research but I knew I was close.

cbdiscpimp
Jun 21 2005, 04:28 PM
same as the top 20% at tournaments don't get passed down.

If people who are already qualifyed by rating or tournament finish in the top 20% its gets bumped down to the next person untill the spots run out. I qualifyed in AZ this year so in BG i got skipped and the qualifying went down to the next unqualifyed player and so on and so forth. Its the top 20% of the field who havent already qualifyed.

Jun 21 2005, 04:49 PM
Mid-Nationals looks AWESOME, but I really can't take that much time off of work... maybe next year... those courses up there have got to be amazing, I love northern WI...

Jun 21 2005, 04:54 PM
Actually, I'm not sure I could go even if I wanted to... it's only open to rated players and since my rounds from the Minit Mart Marathon didn't get posted in time for the last rating update (and still haven't) I don't have a rating... can I still get in?

ck34
Jun 21 2005, 05:00 PM
It would help if results of that event were posted online. We've been letting in a few players with ratings based on fewer than 8 rounds but they are usually playing in a higher or highest division in fairness to the other entrants with established ratings. You would probably have to enter the top Blue division just in case you turned out to be a "ringer."

Jun 21 2005, 05:06 PM
Hahaha... yeah... that's a really kind thought and all, but it's really not possible. Although I've played better than I thought possible before, I don't see myself causing any trouble for the 925+ crowd, especially over 6 rounds.

Oh well, like I said, I can't really do that much time off of work anyway. It'll probably be next year. I think that the drive after the Michiana would probably kill me anyway, and I've already sent my check for that, so there's no way I'm missing it :)

cromwell
Jun 23 2005, 02:55 PM
I love that website... all this info (ok, it's not MUCH, but it's a decent amount) and I can't even find a single place where they say WHEN or WHERE the event is :D

ellswrth
Jun 23 2005, 03:59 PM
So does anyone know when the list of qualifiers (so far) will be posted? I wrote to [email protected] to make sure I'd qualified, but it would be nice to see who else is in.

Jun 24 2005, 04:42 PM
Matt:

It's only you. They don't want to have other people come all the way to Michigan, only to be crushed by you. That would only hurt people's feelings.

As I understand it, they're going to have you come out, play a few holes for the photo opportunities, serve a nice lunch, and then move on to the award ceremony. It's sure to be lovely for all involved, which again, is only you.

Jun 24 2005, 06:04 PM
It's sure to be lovely for all involved, which again, is only you.

Hehe... I'll play him if it means a free lunch :)

I think my only chance at qualification is divine intervention, so no worries...

ellswrth
Jun 24 2005, 07:29 PM
It's only you.

Phew. That's a relief.

You know I really don't want to hurt all those people's feelings. Especially when their ratings are so much higher than mine.

Jun 24 2005, 08:10 PM
It's better for everyone this way.

Good luck!