Jun 14 2005, 01:37 PM
I need the help of my fellow disc golfers, I work at the University Nebraska-Kearney and had all but baskets ordered before we received this note from facilities:
"at this time it would be too much of a safety hazard to have a disc golf course on our campus"

Course was designed by a certified course designer with safety in mind, and funds for baskets were accounted for.

What I need from you:
Direction to--or

A list of courses on campuses where disc golf has worked- email me the names of 1,2,20� of the ones you know

Testimonials or positives a course has brought to your campus.

Concerns which have arisen and how those problems were solved.

Please post or email me at [email protected]

wilma
Jun 14 2005, 02:07 PM
Winthrope comes to mind. :D
& Eastern Carolina

Jake L
Jun 14 2005, 02:15 PM
I don't know who to contact, but here are the courses I know of on college's in my area.

ECU, Greenville NC
Wake Forest Univ. Winston Salem, NC
High Point Univ. High Point NC
UNC-CH Chapel Hill NC.

dave_marchant
Jun 14 2005, 02:21 PM
Davidson College - Davidson, NC (majority of holes off campus)
Mars Hill College - Mars Hill, NC (majority of holes on campus)

jconnell
Jun 14 2005, 02:40 PM
Ohio Northern University - Ada, Ohio
Ohio University - Athens, Ohio
Miami University - Oxford, Ohio
Wittenberg University - Springfield, Ohio
Fairfield University - Fairfield, CT
Cape Cod Community College - West Barnstable, MA
South West Texas State - San Marcos, TX
University of Central Florida - Orlando, FL
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, NC
East Carolina University - Greenville, NC
Sunrise Middle School - Kearney, NE (not a college, but right in your backyard...worth investigating)

Just a few that I found on a quick search of the course directory and my own experiences. Good luck.

--Josh

august
Jun 14 2005, 03:26 PM
There is one on a college campus in Richmond, Kentucky. I played it and it weaves through the buildings rather tightly.

williethekid
Jun 14 2005, 03:45 PM
I go to fairfield, might be able to get a letter from a dean or someone that the course is a positive attraction at the school.

gnduke
Jun 14 2005, 04:35 PM
The ones I've played were:
UW Campus - Parkside; Kenosha WI
UAH - South Course; Huntsville AL

Both were on campus, the Huntsville course was near the buildings, the Kenosha course was in a wooded area outside of the parking lots (away from the buildings).

Moderator005
Jun 14 2005, 05:19 PM
I go to fairfield, might be able to get a letter from a dean or someone that the course is a positive attraction at the school.

Shortly after Professor L. Kraig Steffen installed the 12-hole course on the Fairfield University campus, he was told of a student who was swayed to attend the school because of the course. I'm willing to bet you'll be able to get such a letter!

md21954
Jun 14 2005, 05:52 PM
Goucher College in Towson, MD has a very nice little nine hole course (18 if you count the long tees) that is always well maintained. They have an old equestrian course that is unused that they are considering making another course on. As you can imagine, the potential for a nice course there is HUGE.

I believe one of the students responsible for it was Paul DesMarais or something like that. Not sure if he still goes there.

Jun 14 2005, 08:06 PM
Northwestern University

located in Traverse City, MI

confusing course with no signs or specified path but the course is there and people play on it

kvo
Jun 14 2005, 09:39 PM
Some Wisconsin Courses

Baraboo Lions DGC - UW Baraboo (http://pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=903)

UW Green Bay (http://pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=1836)

UW Campus-Parkside (http://pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=916)

UW Campus-Platteville (http://pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=928)

UW Whitewater-Hoffman Field (http://pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=1819)

There are quite a few on HS and MS campuses as well

Jun 14 2005, 09:59 PM
Add Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, British Columbia Canada to the list, plus the Cranbrook course on campus at The College of the Rockies, also in British Columbia.

lowe
Jun 15 2005, 12:37 AM
Davidson College - Davidson, NC (majority of holes off campus)
Mars Hill College - Mars Hill, NC (majority of holes on campus)

Also, Elon College in Elon NC
Brevard College in Brevard NC

Jun 15 2005, 02:20 AM
kansas state just added nine holes on campus for the students...some of the students made the baskets as a class projects...the are decent with wildcat coins.

GO COWBOYS AND SOONERS IF THEY SUCK....yeehaw!

topdog
Jun 15 2005, 05:28 AM
California State University Monterey Bay in Seaside has two 18 hole courses.

Moderator005
Jun 15 2005, 05:39 PM
There is now a temporary 9-hole course on the campus of Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. The Palmer Woods Disc Golf Course plays near the 'A' Lot parking lot and across the street from the bolf course. It was made available through the efforts of the local club, (DiscIthaca) Pat Govang, Andrea Dutcher (Director of Recreations Services) and Dennis Osika. (Director of University Grounds Department)

<table border="1"><tr><td> Hole #</td><td>1</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>6</td><td>7</td><td>8</td><td>9</td><td>total
</td></tr><tr><td>Red Tee</td><td>365</td><td>265</td><td>295</td><td>330</td><td>315</td><td>275</td><td>275</td><td>225</td><td>240</td><td>2585
</td></tr><tr><td>Blue Tee</td><td>410</td><td>320</td><td>355</td><td>330</td><td>360</td><td>315</td><td>345</td><td>225</td><td>310</td><td>2970
</td></tr><tr><td> </tr></td></table>

The course plays mostly in the open and over huge elevation changes. From the Blue tees, holes 2,3 and 4 play as cross valley shots from one hilltop to another hilltop - these are spectacular holes!

We hope that you enjoy the course and request that you will support the efforts to have permanent courses installed. Please visit http://www.discithaca.com to pledge your support.

lowe
Jun 17 2005, 12:54 AM
At the beginning of June I played the course at Ohio U in Athens. That course has the best baskets I've ever seen anywhere. They are beautiful blue dipped MachVs with lights on top that are powered by solar charged batteries! Totally sweet! Unfortunately the course needs lots of work and could use a redesign. I could only find 2 teepads and guessed at the rest.

specialk
Jun 17 2005, 02:50 PM
Iowa State University, Ames, IA Not really on the campus proper, but on University owned land.

Graceland University, Lamoni, IA This one does run close to some buildings, but mostly uses un-used property around the edge of campus.

Jun 24 2005, 08:20 PM
A few friends and I just helped get one together at St. John's College in Santa Fe, NM. Ours is on campus, but down in an arroyo and behind the gym away from buildings and regular foot traffic...

Jun 27 2005, 06:27 PM
University of Idaho in Moscow, ID has a course. There are well used paths that it crosses as well.

Jul 01 2005, 12:46 AM
Univeristy of Alabama in Huntsville has a great 18 hole course. Re-designed and moved last weekend to get it out of the way of new buildings, but since they have been active in moving it, they may be active enought to send a letter of recommendation. (It was a good course, they held worlds there a decade or so ago ... the new design makes it much much better, longer, and tougher )

theweav
Jul 06 2005, 01:51 AM
What kind of info have you found out so far on your campus delimma. I am in the process of having a course installed on our campus and question of liability has come up. Can you pass on any other info that is not contained in the discussion.

Weav

idahojon
Jul 06 2005, 02:01 AM
What kind of info have you found out so far on your campus delimma. I am in the process of having a course installed on our campus and question of liability has come up. Can you pass on any other info that is not contained in the discussion.

Weav

Weav,

Send me a PM with your contact information, and I'll put you in touch with the risk management people at a couple of universities where I've built courses.

jon

Jul 11 2005, 12:47 AM
I don't play college courses. Way too many pedestrians. I feel way too out of place since I don't go there.

And, I feel weird staring at all the gorgeous and amazingly hot 21 year old female students knowing that they would think I was an old creep if they knew what I was thinking.

idahojon
Jul 11 2005, 01:14 AM
And, I feel weird staring at all the gorgeous and amazingly hot 21 year old female students knowing that they would think I was an old creep if they knew what I was thinking.

Don't worry, they know what you are thinking...and you're right...they are thinking that about you. :D

otimechamp
Jul 18 2005, 06:57 PM
East Wake Middle School has a course on campus, the holes are so close to the school that during ourlast monthly the lead card in advance landed a disc on the roof! www.radl.biz (http://www.radl.biz) has pics if you need them!

papparoc
Jul 19 2005, 04:16 PM
South Eastern Community College in West Burlington Iowa has a tough 9 hole course.
Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa has an awesome 18 hole course
Dallas City Elementry School in Dallas City Ill has a sweet 6 hole course that will soon be 9 holes.
University of Western Illinois has a 9 hole course on campus.

sweetdisc
Jul 27 2005, 01:35 PM
You should go to www.discgolffoundation.net (http://www.discgolffoundation.net) for info on college courses and other helpful information.