May 28 2005, 03:42 PM
Hi, long time lurker first time poster.

I have a question about disc selection, but I suppose first you need to know a bit about me.

I've played casually for a few years, but this year I've really gotten into the sport. Subsequently my game has improved drastically and pretty quickly. This month I finally broke my 350' plateau (RHBH) and now I can get out to 400' consistently. Off a tee in an actual game, however, my drives probably average 360' - 380'.

I use TeeBirds as my primary drivers: a slightly beat DX, which flies pretty straight with minimal fade and a newer DX that has a bit more fade. I use a Champion TB when I want a gentle hyzer shot or more fade at the end. I also carry a TeeBird L for really tight long fairways. All of these discs are 166 - 169 grams. I throw with as flat a release as I can get.

I know that I have the arm and technique to get a bit more distance on my drives, but I'm having a problem finding a technique and disc combination to get it done.

I've tried putting a bit of anhyzer on the TeeBirds hoping that they will come back left in an S curve, but they just keep turning right - staying flat without turning over and then fade gently to the left.

I've tried a hyzer flip using really understable drivers. A hyzer release will turn over for me at about 200' but then it either keeps turning and ends up hitting the ground at a 45 degree angle short of 300' or flies flat while continuing a gentle right turn.

Finally I used a slight hyzer release on both a Champion Valk (170g) and a DX Archangel (175g) these turned right very quickly and flew about 350' before running out of steam.

Ideally I would run out and buy up a bunch of different discs and try 'em all out to see what I could do, but realistically I'm going to buy one or two different molds and hope for the best in my little experiments.

Some folks say throw the Orc, but that mold is less stable than the TeeBird so it seems that would be almost the same as the Valk.

Do I need to throw a more stable disc anhyzer? I hope not because I don't think I can generate enough snap with an anhyzer release.

The final option I came up with is to just keep throwing the TeeBirds and work on my technique, but that's not nearly as much fun as experimenting with different discs/releases.

So what do you guys recommend?

the_kid
May 28 2005, 03:52 PM
1st of all an Orc is more overstable than a T-bird. Ok I would suggest trying an orc on a flat release and you can adjust by how it flies. Also a Beast, Illusion,>>"E"sabre<<<, or the avenger(?). The beast is as overstable if not a little more than an orc and an illusion is aboput the same although they need to be broken in to fly best. The new sabres are sweet and are very similar to a Teebird in flight but they go farther for me. Lastly the avenger is supposed to be orcish(?) in stability bit has less speed and more glide. :D:D

mikeP
May 28 2005, 04:54 PM
First of all I would recommend that you try heavier Teebirds. If you can get out to 400' then you probably have enough power to throw max weight. It will take a little getting used to, but these discs will fly longer on a low, flat, controlled line. You may not get the occasional freakishly long throw you would get with lighter drivers, but your average golf distance should increase, along with the consistency of your game across wind/weather conditions.

If you are going to try new drivers, the Orc is pretty much the distance standard these days, at least the disc which every other driver is now compared against. A Champion Orc is pretty much going to fly like a Champion Teebird, just longer and faster. It is more high-speed stable than a Dx Teebird so it can take more snap without turning and is more low speed overstable. After you try the Orc you will know whether you want something a little more high speed stable (Illusion, Spirit, Crush, Flick) or a little less high speed stable (Flash, Beast, Viking). Each of these discs are different, but I've probably covered the discs that 90% of players get their best D out of. On a final note, the Orc is FAR more overstable than a Valkyrie and flies pretty differently all together.

greenbeard
May 28 2005, 05:09 PM
dx orc
proline starfire

-cheap and easy alternatives. They fly almost the same for me, and fly farther than any other I carry.

the_kid
May 28 2005, 05:11 PM
To me the proline SF is very understable but I don't know about the Dx orc. I would personally go with an "e" sabre if you like the teebird.

Archemike
May 28 2005, 09:24 PM
Try a Talon, it's like a Discraft Teebird :cool:

the_kid
May 28 2005, 09:30 PM
I never like the Teebird but the talon I liked because it was faster and more overstable. I don't think he wanted anything that BEEFY

quickdisc
May 28 2005, 09:32 PM
To me the proline SF is very understable but I don't know about the Dx orc. I would personally go with an "e" sabre if you like the teebird.

I have thrown an E Sabre. Pretty darn stable !!!!

the_kid
May 28 2005, 09:38 PM
yeah they are pretty stright but they resist turn really well.

quickdisc
May 28 2005, 09:41 PM
You throw them with Flex ? You know , turn them over a bit ?

the_kid
May 28 2005, 09:42 PM
If I have a long open hole 425+ but besides that low hyzer flips. :D

May 28 2005, 10:17 PM
I disagree that an Orc is more overstable than a T Bird. No friggin way. Orcs are great at 70% of your power but at 90% or above they turn over faster than Peter Pan at a leather party. Tee birds don't turn over, ever, unless beat up.

mikeP
May 28 2005, 10:25 PM
I disagree that an Orc is more overstable than a T Bird. No friggin way. Orcs are great at 70% of your power but at 90% or above they turn over faster than Peter Pan at a leather party. Tee birds don't turn over, ever, unless beat up.

For me they are the same stability, only when the Orc turns it turns FAST because it flies FAST. I was also thinking of the Dx Teebird as compared to the Champion Orc.

vwkeepontruckin
May 28 2005, 10:47 PM

Orcs are more low speed overstable is what I think he was getting at.

That said, I second the Sabre.

shanest
May 28 2005, 10:50 PM
I love the Sabre as much as anyone, but I must say I'm not sure if it will increase his D
A bit beat H Illusion could do it or an Orc

the_kid
May 29 2005, 12:17 AM

Uh sorry but orcs are more overstable for players with more power hence that is why they throw them. I never could throw a Teebird because at a high rate of speed the air friction would be too great making the turn over. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

May 29 2005, 12:38 AM
What I'd really like is just a faster longer T Bird.

According to Innova the Orc has a Turn rating of -1 and it's Fade is +3. The TeeBird is more stable at high speed with a Turn rating of 0 and less stable at the end of it's flight with a Fade rating of +2. Of course these numbers are just guidelines as I'm sure we all know. Example: the super overstable Monster also has a 0 Turn rating

What I'm looking for is something I can throw flat at max power that won't turn over and has as little fade as possible. I thought the TeeBird L was the answer (since Innova gives them both the same high speed stability rating) until I actually threw one hard and it almost turned into a sky roller.

My T Birds don't turn over at all unless I put some anhyzer on the release, but even then they don't come back out of it. They just keep heading to the right. So if I throw an Orc flat will it turn over. The Starfire seems to fit the bill also, but I don't really like the feel of Pro plastic. The heavier disc option also sounds somewhat appealing.

I checked out some of the non-Innova discs mentioned above, but it's hard for me to get a feel for them because I'm not at all familiar with other the brands.

Thanks for the input guys and keep it coming. I'm going out Monday to put some of these ideas to the test.

jdubs63
May 29 2005, 12:38 AM

Uh sorry but orcs are more overstable for playwers with more power hence that is why they throw them. I never could throw a Teebird because at a hugh rate of speed the air friction would be too great making the turn over. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yeah, you must have a freak of a Teebird. Orcs are much more stable than Teebirds.

the_kid
May 29 2005, 12:43 AM
What I'd really like is just a faster longer T Bird.

According to Innova the Orc has a Turn rating of -1 and it's Fade is +3. The TeeBird is more stable at high speed with a Turn rating of 0 and less stable at the end of it's flight with a Fade rating of +2. Of course these numbers are just guidelines as I'm sure we all know. Example: the super overstable Monster also has a 0 Turn rating

What I'm looking for is something I can throw flat at max power that won't turn over and has as little fade as possible. I thought the TeeBird L was the answer (since Innova gives them both the same high speed stability rating) until I actually threw one hard and it almost turned into a sky roller.

My T Birds don't turn over at all unless I put some anhyzer on the release, but even then they don't come back out of it. They just keep heading to the right. So if I throw an Orc flat will it turn over. The Starfire seems to fit the bill also, but I don't really like the feel of Pro plastic. The heavier disc option also sounds somewhat appealing.

I checked out some of the non-Innova discs mentioned above, but it's hard for me to get a feel for them because I'm not at all familiar with other the brands.

Thanks for the input guys and keep it coming. I'm going out Monday to put some of these ideas to the test.

If you want a faster teebird then get a "scream" when it comes out it is supposed to be a faster sabre and the new sabres are just longer teebirds.

mikeP
May 29 2005, 01:03 AM
The closest thing I can recommend is what I've replaced my Champion Teebirds with: a broken-in Tsunami. It can be thrown flat and hard and fly straight with just a little gliding fade at the end. It is faster than a Teebird without sacraficing much glide. I love fast, domey, stable discs! My E Spirit is breaking in to become what I think will be a faster, longer Tsunami...

the_kid
May 29 2005, 01:09 AM
Yeah I forgot about the tsunami.

May 29 2005, 08:46 AM
Yeah, you must have a freak of a Teebird. Orcs are much more stable than Teebirds.

I use 10 X KC teebirds. Yeah, I bought 10 of them back in the 10 X days and still have 4 or 5 of them. They are way more overstable at high speed than my Pro-line Orcs even though they are 4 years old and the orcs are new. The Orcs turn over every time if you throw at full power but are awesome discs at like 80% of power. The T's never turn over even at full 100% power, unless beat up. I know DX Teebirds are a little flippier and beat up real easy so they flip. The 10 X are real overstable especially late runs. Never used 11 X so i don't know. Don't compare them to TL Teebirds, they are flippy. But the 10 X don't flip unless beat and the old KC plastic is pretty durable.

mikeP
May 29 2005, 10:41 AM
Pro Orcs you say...Pro Orcs are definetely less stable than Champion. More high speed turn, less low speed fade, more glide. The Pro Orc is a true distance disc, where as the Champion Orc stays on a straighter line and is better for most golf distance shots. Back to the main topic: as I said before, the Champion Orc is currently the distance driver standard. I've not seen a driver so utilized by so many advanced/pro players since CE Teebirds/Firebirds. Everyone on my card in every touney I've played this year had one in their bag.

the_kid
May 29 2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Orcs you say...Pro Orcs are definetely less stable than Champion. More high speed turn, less low speed fade, more glide. The Pro Orc is a true distance disc, where as the Champion Orc stays on a straighter line and is better for most golf distance shots. Back to the main topic: as I said before, the Champion Orc is currently the distance driver standard. I've not seen a driver so utilized by so many advanced/pro players since CE Teebirds/Firebirds. Everyone on my card in every touney I've played this year had one in their bag.

I know that lately in Tx the ADV leader cards are getting rid of orcs. One guy who I play with up there uses all discraft and the others that are usually there have started throwing illusions but I agree that the Orc in a great disc. :D:D:D

vwkeepontruckin
May 29 2005, 08:41 PM
My E Spirit is breaking in to become what I think will be a faster, longer Tsunami...

Ummm...yeah...those fly FAR!!!! Seriously, if you take the time to learn the Spirit, and let it age gracefully, they are THE longest discs...they can fly SO far SO low to the ground....they let you get birdies on holes where no other disc can get you the putt. More people would like these if they ever gave them a chance. Most of the time people throw them once, decide its too overstable brand new (So what?) and give up on it. Thier loss!

jjmackey
May 29 2005, 09:54 PM
First I have to agree with everyone else and recommend a Champion Orc. If the Champ Orc wasn't overstable enough I would turn to a 2nd run Champ Starfire (not the L, I haven't tried). They are CFR discs but very worthwhile. Very fast, more overstable, and predictable fade at the end compared to a champ Orc. I would even fool around with a Z Crush to see if those would fit the bill.

Aleksey Bubis #22722
May 29 2005, 10:01 PM
Pro Satfires and the New Champ Starfires L are pretty sweet flying discs.

Jun 08 2005, 04:04 PM
I would recommend:

Max Weight Champion Orc
Max Weight Pro Beast
Max Weight Discraft Flash

Jun 08 2005, 06:35 PM
I've probably tried 'em all but I always seem to go back to the DX Beast. Very fast, very long and very predictable. If I want a little more hyzer skippage at the end I'll throw an X-Crush instead.

flynvegas
Jun 08 2005, 06:49 PM
If you like the DX Beast try the DX Orc.